The Red Thread: An Adoption Fairy Tale by…

The Red Thread: An Adoption Fairy Tale

by Grace Lin

847143,474 (4)None

This is about an ancient Chinese fairy tale that talks about an unbreakable thread that brings people who are destined, together. The thread weakens as people grow further apart, when they should be together. In order to keep the thread strength high, the king and queen need to follow it, no matter the path that it takes.
  HectorG | Apr 11, 2016 |
Very sweet story of a king and queen who feel a pain in their chests and can't understand why until the doctor looks with special spectacles and sees that there are red threads tugging on their hearts. They follow the threads to find their baby. ( )
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
The main idea of this book is that adoption connects parents and their adopted child; they are destined to be together and bring each other happiness.
I really enjoyed this book for many reasons. I loved the idea of "The Red Thread" taken from an Ancient Chinese proverb. The book really conveys the message that parents are incomplete without the addition of their adopted child, who makes their lives whole and happy. For example, the text reads: "One morning the queen woke up with a pain in her heart. It was a steady ache that filled her with sadness...'It's as I thought,' the [peddler] said when he saw them. 'There is a red thread being pulled from your hearts!'...They followed the red thread out of the castle..each step they took lessened the pain in their hearts." I just find this idea very appealing and heartwarming. It is also a visual representation of the "tug" between mother/father and child that I think children will really be able to connect with.
I also enjoyed this book because I found the pacing of the book very well done. The adventure of this book is very engaging and typical of a traditional fantasy novel. While the adventure is long and arduous, when the king and queen finally reach the end of their red thread (their child), it makes the ending that much more wonderful and rewarding for the reader. For me, this indicates effective pacing. For example, the king and queen first try to figure out why they are so saddened, then they try to cut the red thread but are unable to, and finally they decide they must leave their kingdom to follow the thread. They must untangle their rope through trees and cross a vast sea. When they reach a small village "their clothes [are] ripped to rags, [their] hair [is] tangled, and faces [are] as pale as the moon." I found this pacing of this book very effective and well done. And again, though their adventure is difficult, I found it heartwarming that when the king and queen were growing weary, the red thread (connected to their child) kept them going. The text reads: "they almost despaired... but the thread tugged at them." I think this is wonderful imagery for adopted children. They can understand how their parents may have had to go on very difficult journeys, but because their parents felt connected to them, they persevered through many trials. ( )
  MichelleNappi | Oct 21, 2013 |
This story was very nicely done. A strong story of adoption told in fairy tale format. I really enjoyed it. ( )
  matthewbloome | May 19, 2013 |
The Red Thread uses a fairy tale format to tell the story of two parents adopting a child. In this case, a king and queen who are mysteriously entangled in a red thread, which they must follow to make the heart pains go away. It's inspired by an old Chinese saying that "an invisible, unbreakable red thread connect all those who are destined to be together." ( )
  Laene | Mar 2, 2013 |

A king and queen should be full of joy and contentment, but they both feel a strange pain that worsens every day. Then a peddler's magic spectacles reveal a red thread pulling at each of their hearts. The king and queen know they must follow the thread.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:59 -0400)

A sad king and queen find joy and happiness after a mysterious red thread leads them to a baby waiting to be adopted.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,486,428 books! | Top bar: Always visible