MW by Osamu Tezuka

MW

by Osamu Tezuka

206656,890 (4.18)12

As a fan of the Japanese actor Tamaki Hiroshi, I ended up watching the tv special and movie version of MW before reading the book. Boy am I glad I did that -- had I read the book first, I probably would've hated the film adaptation, as it leaves a lot of things out (not necessarily major parts of the plot, but character development/personalities/etc that I found to be vital to the novel). This was only my second Tezuka graphic novel (the first being Metropolis), so I really had only the vaguest idea of what I was getting into. I had no idea, though, how good (though strange and dark) MW was going to be.

MW is about love (sort of) and it's about violence, but it's also about revenge, abuse, life and death. The movie only barely touched on these things (but I believe that Tamaki did a good job carrying the role of Michio Yuki (the main character), the same with Takayuki Yamada as Yutaro Garai (the priest). I had them in my mind while I was reading MW, which I think enhanced my reading instead of detracting from it. Obviously, the biggest thing missing from the movie is the love (if you can call it that) story between Michio and Yutaro (they have a very unhealthy relationship). I think the movie would've benefited from it, but upon reading (and completing) the book, I understand why they left it out.

I liked MW and I want to read more Tezuka at some point. It's hard to recommend this book (probably for similar reasons that it's hard for me to recommend 1Q84, even though I liked it quite a bit). But it's good, even while being dark and disturbing (as many revenge stories are). ( )
  callmecayce | Mar 29, 2013 |
The face of evil has never been so feminine or sexy. Tezuka's [MW] is ruthless, explicit, and tragic. His plot twists are ironic. His need to violate norms, religion, and other boundaries are obsessive, if not necessary. For Tezuka to teach us the nature of human evil he must show us the source of the seed: indolent indiscretion, a lust for power by "great men," cowardice, and naked human ego.

I recommend this novel, but I don't like the star rating system.

[One thumb up!]

[MW] is the third of Tezuka's more serious graphic novels that I've read so far and I like his work well enough to disrupt my reading and writing schedule to quickly read his work. While I haven’t read all of his works, I'm slowly coming to the realization that he's a moralist at heart. That’s not a bad thing if the author is someone like Tezuka.
  GYKM | Aug 2, 2012 |
Pretty good read. Some interesting characters who deal with their temptations and burdens of sins in different ways. (Unrepentant cover-ups, prayer, insanity). The theme of sexual molestation and use of seduction may be too much for some readers who have a sensitivity to issues dealing with sex. If you liked other of Tezuka darker adult work you'll probably like this. ( )
  JonathanGorman | Jul 9, 2010 |
Superb, and quite unlike any other manga/graphic novel/comic. Not one for the faint of heart either ( )
  alexmilway | Mar 30, 2010 |
beautifully done. but also oddly very similar to Apollo's Song in its dissection of a murderous sociopathic personality. and Apollo's Song is also a much more complex and nuanced narrative; this one is a much more linear storyline. still, the way the character's deterioration over time corresponds to the deterioration of the chemical that corrupted him is compelling and memorable: destruction itself seems to have a half life of its own.. ( )
  macha | Aug 3, 2009 |

Osamu Tezukaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Nieh, CamelliaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
M.W. (2009IMDb)

In this work, the history of the Holocaust has found its definitive representation. Based on a vast array of documents and an overwhelming choir of voicesmainly from diaries, letters, and memoirsSaul Friedlnder avoids domesticating the memory of these unprecedented and horrific events. The convergence of these various aspects gives a unique quality to The Years of Extermination.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,505,237 books! | Top bar: Always visible