Star Wars: Republic Commando: Hard Contact…

Star Wars: Republic Commando: Hard Contact (edition 2004)

by Karen Traviss

Member:mizak23
Title:Star Wars: Republic Commando: Hard Contact
Authors:Karen Traviss
Info:LucasBooks (2004), Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Tags:Star Wars, Rise of the Empire, Republc Commando

Hard Contact by Karen Traviss

The premise: ganked from BN.com: As the Clone Wars rage, victory or defeat lies in the hands of elite squads that take on the toughest assignments in the galaxy–stone-cold soldiers who go where no one else would, to do what no one else could. . . .

On a mission to sabotage a chemical weapon research facility on a Separatist-held planet, four clone troopers operate under the very noses of their enemies. The commandos are outnumbered and outgunned, deep behind enemy lines with no backup–and working with strangers instead of trusted teammates. Matters don’t improve when Darman, the squad’s demolitions expert, gets separated from the others during planetfall. Even Darman’s apparent good luck in meeting an inexperienced Padawan vanishes once Etain admits to her woeful inexperience.

For the separated clone commandos and stranded Jedi, a long, dangerous journey lies ahead, through hostile territory brimming with Trandoshan slavers, Separatists, and suspicious natives. A single misstep could mean discovery . . . and death. It’s a virtual suicide mission for anyone–anyone except Republic Commandos.

My Rating: 5 - It's a Gamble

It's a low rating, sure, but it's not a bad book. It's just going to be a hit or miss for Star Wars readers. Traviss is a good writer, but you can tell she's getting her feet wet here, and since I've already read her Wess'Har series, I had higher expectations than normal. I'd hoped this would wow me, but it didn't. That being said, of all the Star Wars game adaptation books I've read, this is by far the best. Which is good, because this is the one with the most books, so I've got several ahead of me. I did enjoy the work Traviss did in creating distinctive personalities for her clones, and the way the Omega Squad was put together provided nice character-revealing moments and inner sources of conflict. So there's good arcs here, character-wise. I just kept zoning out during the more tactical/military stuff, which doesn't bog down the book, but it doesn't make me want to turn the pages any faster either.

That being said, for someone who wants to get into Star Wars books but wants to start with the prequel Era, and if they don't care about not having the Jedi as the focus, this would be a great place to start. My expectations were just a tick too high, but now that I know what to expect, I'm sure the next installment will be fine.

Spoilers, yay or nay?: Yay. And I also want to point out: there will be spoilers, at any given moment, for the entire run of Star Wars books up until the date the current book was published. So if the Star Wars are something you want to get into, stop now and read THIS instead. I don't recommend anyone reading this review unless they've read the book I'm reviewing now, due to aforementioned spoilers, so stop now or -- if you have read the book -- carry on!

The full review may be found at my blog, and comments and discussion are always welcome. Just click the link below to go directly to the full review!

REVIEW: Karen Traviss' STAR WARS: REPUBLIC COMMANDO: HARD CONTACT

Happy Reading! ( )
  devilwrites | Jan 28, 2013 |
Ever felt a little distant from the whole 'clone wars' thing? If you're a Star Wars fan, you know the problems associated with the clones, and the unfortunate amount of time we've spent asking questions about who they really are and why we should care. Well, the Republic Commando series seeks to answer those questions and, thank goodness, humanize the clone troopers.

Karen Traviss does an excellent job of putting human faces on the clones, giving us a glimpse behind the mask -- what the clones go through for training, their 'family' structures, their (*gasp*) personalities, and their perspectives on having shortened life expectancies and living with the exact same face as thousands upon thousands of other clones.

The story itself is your typical shoot 'em up space adventure, with most of the action taking place on a planet, rather than in a ship or in space. That said, Star Wars has typically focused more on the people involved than the space battles, so you'll find exactly what you're looking for if you're a Star Wars fan.

Admittedly, the Jedi trainee character in the book is a little annoying for the first half, but she does grow over the course of the story. I suspect that if she's in the sequels, she'll utilize her newfound confidence and strength very effectively.

This is honestly one of the best Star Wars novels I've read, and if Traviss is the one writing the sequels, you can bet I'll be picking them up soon. ( )
  dk_phoenix | May 20, 2011 |
For a media tie-in, I thought this was entertaining and well-written, certainly better than some SW novels I've read. It's a nice bit of military SF set in the Star Wars universe. Not a life-changing book but a fun way to pass the time during my commute. ( )
  wjohnston | Jan 21, 2011 |
This read like a good military space opera that just happens to be set in the Star Wars universe, especially as I like to pretend the Phantom Menace never existed and haven't seen its two sequels. The author has taken the setting (Republic, clone troopers, Jedi, clone wars) and woven an exciting adventure for a squad of clone commandos and a Jedi-in-training.

I really liked the characterisation of the commandos and the exploration of what it's like being inside one of those thousands of identical faces and suits of armour. I was less engaged by the unconfident Jedi trainee Etain, but she does grow over the course of the book. The plot rattles along and comes to a neat conclusion, but one leaving plenty of room for sequels. I will look out for them.

http://rmc28.dreamwidth.org/418259.html ( )
  rmc28 | Dec 23, 2010 |
I have become recently enamored and addicted to Star Wars: The Clone Wars animated series. As a result I picked up the first book in the Republic Commando series. I found it to be a good read. I particularly liked the Mandalorian tie in as well as my peaked interest in the other Jedi characters. It was a very good balance of military operations with the overall Star Wars saga. ( )
  Blooshirt | Aug 11, 2010 |
Okay, this is how it happened.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345478274, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:31 -0400)

On a mission to sabotage a nanovirus research facility on a Separatist-held planet, four clone troopers operated under the very noses of their enemies. The commandos are outnumbered and outgunned, deep behind enemy lines with no backup--and working with strangers instead of trusted teammates. Matters don't improve when Darman, the squad's demolitions expert, gets cut off from the others during planetfall. Even Darman's apparent good luck in meeting a Jedi Padawan vanishes once she admits to her woeful inexperience. For the isolated clone commandos and stranded Jedi, a long, dangerous journey lies ahead, through hostile territory brimming with Trandoshan slavers, Separatists, and suspicious natives. A single misstep could mean discovery...and death. It's a virtual suicide mission for anyone--anyone except Republic Commandos.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,347,626 books! | Top bar: Always visible