Crazy for God : how I grew up as one of the…

Crazy for God : how I grew up as one of the elect, helped found the… (2007)

by Frank Schaeffer

Very, very interesting. ( )
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |
I did not find this book well written. I found it choppy and unfocused. I didn't make it through the Childhood section. I'd have to be a lot more interested in the Schaeffers than I am to keep plowing through. ( )
  aulsmith | Apr 13, 2014 |
For any recovering Christian who nearly drowned in the flood of American conservative Christianity, this book is a good read. It will mean more if you have any familiarity with Francis Schaeffer or his books. Frank Schaeffer provides an 'insider' view of the genesis of right-wing Christianity and how the foundation was created. His story is very human and honest without being restricted by the sensibilities (hypocritical or otherwise) of the conservative Christian community he writes about and who claim his father as an icon. Frank Schaeffer displays what a 'Christian with a conscience' might look like, who actually believes telling the truth of the heart is valuable. He pulls back the mask of Christian celebrity and confirms what I long feared and suspected; fundamental Christianity in the US is a fraud.
  jdmac | Jul 15, 2013 |
I read Francis Schaeffer's books back in the late seventies when I was in college. I never thought much of him. To me, he was a wannabee Christian evangelical intellectual ( an oxymoron if there ever was one) who wrote bad philosophy books. My thought was 'really, this is all you got? No wonder the modern religious right, who descends from him and others like him, is intellectually bankrupt.

The author, his son, who is now an atheist, describes what it was like to grow up in this family. If you are interested in what is what like to grow up having a dad who was one of the 'bright lights' of the religious right, read it.

I can't wait until Michael Behe's son ( Michael Behe helped invent intelligent design - essentially a form of young earth creationism ) who is now an atheist, writes Crazy for Intelligent Design ( )
  PedrBran | Nov 15, 2012 |
The title says it all. Schaeffer is a good writer and paints a picture of his family that was one way in public, and another in private. ( )
1 vote phyllis01 | Jun 4, 2011 |
for my daughter Jessica
You can be the world's biggest hypocrite and still feel good about yourself.
Furious e-mails flooded in. They fell into two categories: The evangelical “Church Ladies” said they hadn't read Webb's novels but were shocked by his immorality nonetheless and went to three- and four-page quivering lengths to justify the Republican's tactics; the second group were simply profanity-spewing thugs. The Church Lady e-mails contrasted markedly with the insults. It was as if I'd stumbled into a Sunday school picnic at a Tourette syndrome convention. (p.3)
When combined, the hundreds of e-mails seemed to boil down to: “Do what we say Jesus says – and if you don't, we'll kick your head in!” (p.4)

By the time he was nineteen, Frank Schaeffer’s parents, Francis and Edith Schaeffer, had achieved global fame as bestselling evangelical authors and speakers, and Frank had joined his father on the evangelical circuit. He would go on to speak before thousands in arenas around America, publish his own evangelical bestseller, and work with such figures as Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell, and Dr. James Dobson. But all the while Schaeffer felt increasingly alienated, precipitating a crisis of faith that would ultimately lead to his departure—even if it meant losing everything.

With honesty, empathy, and humor, Schaeffer delivers “a brave and important book” (Andre Dubus III, author of House of Sand and Fog)—both a fascinating insider’s look at the American evangelical movement and a deeply affecting personal odyssey of faith.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:22 -0400)

Presents the autobiography of the son of evangelicals Francis and Edith Schaeffer, covering his career as an evangelical and the reason he left the faith to live a secular lifestyle.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,017,552 books! | Top bar: Always visible