Solstice at Stonewylde by Kit Berry

Solstice at Stonewylde

by Kit Berry

If you thought I hated the Magus before then that is nothing compared to now. No, strike that. I do not hate him, he disgust me now. If he was on fire I would not spit on him, I would not even think about it. He is slowly rotting inside in this one, and finally, people start to notice.

But I will go back a step. This book was just so emotional. I did not want to stop because I had to know! Could this sorry excuse for a human being be stopped?!

Tha magus has tried to kill Yul or break him more than once. And Yul is his own son, but there is a prophecy...Sylvie is being used for her moonmagic and he drains her until she is an empty shell. Then he yells at her when she is being lazy. So when I started reading this book I was dreaing at all, especially since Yul lay at death's door in book 2 and Sylvie. Poor Sylvie. When I started reading my hate (we all know about that now) turned to disgust. Yes things gets even worse. Things will happen, but there will not only be darkness, there is some light and I kept rooting for that light as I raced toward the end of the book.

If nothing else then this book will keep you on your toes, and rooting for the good guys, while swearing over the bad guys.
  blodeuedd | Mar 2, 2016 |
A really satisfying book, especially after the first two had so many unanswered questions! The only thing that frustrates me is mu loss willpower when reading these books- it's always 'just one more chapter' and before you know it the book has finished. But at least I know there is stuill more of Stonewylde to come! ( )
  Rubbah | Aug 30, 2008 |
I managed to get an advanced, autographed copy of this book from the author Kit Berry at last weekend’s Halloween Festival (before I fell ill).

The story of Sylvie, Yul, the Magus and the community continues in this the third book of the Stonewylde series. This third book does wind up the major plot line involving the three main characters, but still leaves some questions which will allow for the next two books. I expect I will read these in one sitting, as I did with the first three novels.

Kit Berry is certainly a talented writer, allowing the reader to revel in the atmosphere of the Stonewylde community for a few blissful moments before taking up the narrative. The author also has the knack of being able to provide a backstory simply and, almost subtlely. This allows the reader to understand the consequences for the behaviour of certain characters without the need for long explanatory notes by the author. This allows the storyline to continue at a cracking pace.

There are some developments in this book that may leave a few readers disturbed, certainly I did a bit of skimming over the sections when Sylvie is in the rooms of the Magus - not because the writing was lacking, but because the situation was more than a little uncomfortable and given that I had guessed a certain “twist”, it made it even harder to read. It might not affect all readers this way, but it did me.

I still have the same small quibbles I did when I read the first two books: I don’t agree with the supposed “ancient” nature of the festivals used by the Stonewylde community, given they are based on wic(c)an beliefs, but this won’t be a bother to 99% of the people who read these books; and there are some unanswered questions left, though this time the main plot has resolved itself and the reader is not left on a cliffhanger. Mind you, the latter is placated by a note from the author at the back of the paperback copy - there are more books in the series.

The books are aimed at the young adult market, but don’t let that fool you. Adults of all ages will derive enjoyment from this book, just as the first two. Certainly, the Stonewylde community is pagan, but readers of all denominations will still revel in the community and characters that Kit has created.

Go out and read all three books: “The Magus of Stonewylde“; “Moondance at Stonewylde” and “Solstice at Stonewylde“. You won’t be disappointed. ( )
1 vote Sile | Oct 24, 2007 |

Tells the story of Sylvie and Yul, their developing love for each other, and their battle to survive the cruelty and domination of Magus. The Villagers rally around Yul and ill-feeling towards Magus grows, fuelled by his appalling treatment of his own son.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,970,640 books! | Top bar: Always visible