The Mystery of the Third Lucretia by Susan…

The Mystery of the Third Lucretia

by Susan Runholt

Best friends Kari and Lucas stumble upon an art forger while traveling in Europe after recognizing him from a gallery in Minneapolis the year before. They embark on an adventure while trying to gather evidence, putting their lives in danger.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Apr 25, 2017 |
Please find my review at http://www.myshelf.com/reviews.htm ( )
  CarmenFerreiro | Mar 28, 2016 |
While traveling in London, Paris, and Amsterdam, fourteen-year-old best friends Kari and Lucas solve an international art forgery mystery.
  lkmuir | Dec 7, 2015 |
I didn't read this book under ideal circumstances. My car broke down near the public library, and I walked over to pick up a book to read while I waited for help. Help ended up being delayed, so I had plenty of time to plow through this book while sitting in a dark, cold car in an abandoned parking lot.

I enjoyed the European tour, especially because I've been to London, Amsterdam, and Paris myself. However, I thought this book wasn't much of a mystery, in the sense that the protagonists solve it through collecting clues or using logic. Instead, the two fourteen-year-old heroines spend a lot of time dressing up in silly disguises, behaving recklessly, and lying to their parents. A certain amount of rule-breaking is a hallmark of books in the "teenage caper" genre, but Kari and Lucas made really questionable decisions, such as walking through Amsterdam's red light district at night while dressed like prostitutes.

I usually enjoy middle grade mysteries--the Red Blazer Girls books are charming--but this one never really captured my interest. I'm pretty sure I had started reading The Third Lucretia sometime last year and given up on it before picking it up again, and if I hadn't been a captive audience, I probably would have put it down again. ( )
  MadameWho | Nov 8, 2014 |
When Kari Sundgren and Lucas Stickney meet as 10-year-olds in an art class at the Minneapolis Institute of Arts, they soon become best friends despite the differences in their family backgrounds. Lucas is the daughter of a wealthy lawyer with an international reputation, while Kari lives with her single mom. Four years later, the girls are on the trail of an international art mystery involving a mysterious man they encounter copying Rembrandts first in Minneapolis, and then in London. The trail eventually leads Kari, Lucas, and Kari's mom to Amsterdam.

This mystery combines elements I love – art and travel. I didn't notice anything out of place in the descriptions of London, a city I used to know well. The girls spend a lot of time in the National Gallery, one of my favorite art museums. The mystery is plotted well and the educational elements are incorporated naturally, not shoehorned in as in some children's/YA literature. This is just the kind of mystery I would have loved as a tween reader except for a few things. The story starts with the history of Rembrandt's two portraits of Lucretia, an ancient Roman woman known for her virtue who killed herself after she was raped. The girls also end up in Amsterdam's red light district where they see prostitutes and people on drugs. Some tweens might be mature enough to handle these subjects. I was not at that age. The girls have freedom to get themselves into dangerous situations because they repeatedly lie to Kari's mother. At least Kari feels guilty about it. The dust jacket says the book is for age 11 and up. Due to the nature of some of the subject matter, I wouldn't recommend it for most readers under 13. ( )
  cbl_tn | Mar 8, 2014 |

If it hadn?t been for Lucas?s photographic memory, they might not have remembered the man. It had been almost a year since she and Kari had noticed him copying the famous Rembrandt painting in the Minneapolis Institute of Arts. But now in the National Gallery in London, they?re sure it?s the same guy, copying another Rembrandt. What is going on?

The International Herald Tribune gives them their answer. A never-beforeseen Rembrandt painting has been discovered in Amsterdam. The mysterious man must?ve been working on a forgery! Convinced that no one will believe them without more evidence, the teenage sleuths embark on a madcap adventure to find the forger. But is bringing the criminal to justice worth the price of their lives?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:10 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,075,285 books! | Top bar: Always visible