Enlightenment for Idiots: A Novel by Anne…

Enlightenment for Idiots: A Novel

by Anne Cushman

Lets be clear, if you are in the mood for some quintessential chick lit, this time about yoga, this may be precisely what you are looking for. This is Brigit Jones goes to India. Twenty something woman trying to find her feet in the world takes a commission to write a book about the ashrams of India. Travels around meeting people and making amusing mistakes while obsessing about why her boyfriend wont commit. Bing.

If this sounds like fun, you will enjoy this book. It is well written and amusing. If this sounds annoying, you will hate this book. It will be unbelievably annoying. All about what you are looking for really.

Turns out this wasn't what I was looking for. I thought I'd try something lighter after a spate of books where a bunch of people die, but this one was just wrong for me. I think I'm done being amused by self conscious girls who can't get themselves together but everybody thinks they are just so adorable falling over their feet that in the end it all works out okay. I just wanted to hit her with something large. Over and over.

Ah well. ( )
  bunwat | Mar 30, 2013 |
Funny and entertaining. Easy to relate to. ( )
  MitaMita | Jan 22, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book was an interesting one, for ladylit (as I like to call chick lit)...the characters were more well-drawn than ones I have read before, and the serious and somewhat melancholy tone of the work were what set it apart from others of its ilk. A nice rainy day read. ( )
  MissConstantReader | Apr 6, 2011 |
Everyone needs a little chic lit from time to time. The main character in this book is believably dumb. You watch her go from one bad decision to the next, all the time hoping she pulls her act together. The book was actually longer than I expected, and in true chic-lit form has a happy ending. It is the perfect “lounging by the pool on a hot afternoon” kind of read. ( )
  pricelessreads | Jan 31, 2011 |
This the the perfect chick lit book. The characters start out a little slow and by the middle of the book things start falling together. By the end of the book, I didn't want it to end. ( )
  butterflybaby | May 4, 2010 |

Nearing age thirty, Amanda thought she’d be someone else by now. Instead, she’s just herself: an ex-nanny yogini-wannabe who cranks out “For Idiots” travel guides just to scrape by. Yes, she has her sexy photographer boyfriend, but he’s usually gone—shooting a dogsled race in Alaska or a vision quest in Peru—or just hooking up with other girls. However, she’s sure her new assignment, “Enlightenment for Idiots,” will change everything; now she’ll become the serene, centered woman she was meant to be. After some breakup sex, she’s off to India to find a new, more spiritual life.

What she finds, though, is an ashram run by investment bankers, a yoga master who trashes her knee, and a guru with a weakness for fashion models. She escapes a tantra party at the Taj Hotel, has a nasty argument outside the cave where the Buddha used to meditate, then agonizes through the ten-day silent retreat that’s supposed to make her feel better.

No, India is not what she had pictured. But she finds a friend in Devi Das, a redheaded sadhu who refers to himself as “we.” And when a holy lunatic on the street offers her an enigmatic blessing, Amanda realizes a new life may be in store for her—just not the one she was expecting.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:46 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Anne Cushman's book Enlightenment for Idiots was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,940,811 books! | Top bar: Always visible