Murder at the Bad Girl's Bar and Grill: A…

Murder at the Bad Girl's Bar and Grill: A Novel

by N. M. Kelby

Carl Hiaasen, Elmore Leonard, Laurence Shames she's not..but this is a light, funny, and entertaining read. I was able to get through it in less than 8 hours.

It's Florida, a retirement community once known as the Tiki Gardens, with a Tiki Bar in its midst:

*Danni the bar owner is trying to save the mangroves from becoming a golf course.

*Whit & his attorney, Bill are up to no good...they want the land the bar is on & the mangroves.

*Sofia, Whit's blind daughter, is trying to work things out with her husband, who wants her dead and her inheritance much to the consternation of

*Wilson the security guard, her "protector", who has a penchant for singing Beach Boys tunes.

*Solas McKay Kilt wearing, Scots Warrior/puppet master who has come to avenge the death of his homeless brother Peter (remains were found in the dumpster behind the bar)....who is accompanied by

*Karla & Marie the very tall, grey braided Swedish twin crones who love to shout "Ta-Da!"

*Mandy the shi tzu that looks like Barry Manilow

*Poe the Vulture

*The residents of the "community" that like to play act "Mayberry".

It's not deep, but it works.

Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
I really liked this book. It was a mystery with some heart. ( )
  mlake | Apr 28, 2015 |
N.M. Kelby beckons us into her quirky and inventive world once again and makes us glad we entered. ( )
  jimnicol | Sep 26, 2014 |
Another "DNF" or Did Not Finish. Too many weird characters with no one in the entire book who was in any way sane or normal. I don't need a lot, but my logical soul does need at least one "normal" character, one who reacts to death as awful, not interesting, one who doesn't wander off on the beach, in the rain, when she's blind. Wasn't my style, which I might have known since it is compared to Carl Hiaasen, another author too weird for me. ( )
  bookswoman | Mar 31, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0307382079, Hardcover)

Take a slasher-movie actress, a Scottish circus clown, an FBI school dropout, a blind heiress, a junk-food-loving millionaire developer, and a Buddha-quoting bluesman, add a couple of murders in a normally sedate retirement community in south Florida, and you get an irresistible tale that’s part Carl Hiaasen and part Gabriel García Márquez. It all goes down as easy as a Key lime pie martini, the signature drink of the Bad Girl’s Bar & Grill.

N. M. Kelby’s last three novels have received glowing reviews in the New York Times, Entertainment Weekly, People, and the Atlantic Monthly. Carl Hiaasen has called her “a natural-born writer,” and Kirkus praised her “black humor that sizzles.” Sit back, put up your feet, and get ready to lose yourself in a rollicking good story.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:07 -0400)

"Take a slasher-movie actress, a Scottish circus clown, an FBI school dropout, a blind heiress, a junk-food-loving millionaire developer, and a Buddha-quoting bluesman, add a couple of murders in a normally sedate retirement community in south Florida, and you get an irresistible tale that's part Carl Hiaasen and part Gabriel Garcia Marquez. It all goes down as easy as a Key lime pie martini, the signature drink of the Bad Girl's Bar & Grill."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,058,936 books! | Top bar: Always visible