Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood

Cat's Eye (original 1988; edition 1998)

by Margaret Atwood

8,282141741 (3.93)1 / 558
It is the story of Elaine Risley, a controversial painter who returns to the city of her youth for a retrospective of her art. Engulfed by vivid images of the past, she reminisces about a trio of girls who initiated her into the fierce politics of childhood and its secret world of friendship, longing, and betrayal. Elaine must come to terms with her own identity as a daughter, a lover, an artist, and a woman--but above all she must seek release from her haunting memories.… (more)
Member:annafofanna
Title:Cat's Eye
Authors:Margaret Atwood
Info:Anchor (1998), Paperback

Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood (1988)

English (134)  Dutch (3)  Swedish (2)  German (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (141)
A story describing the angst and confusion of a small girl growing up in the world of childhood "mean girls" and the effects it has on her for the rest of her life.

An ominous feeling of dread and suspense filled the whole book as the story was told in small flashbacks by the protagonist. Not sure I really liked the main character by the end of the book, but definately a good read. ( )
  curious_squid | Apr 5, 2021 |
Margaret Atwood is one of my favourite authors and I have made an effort to buy many of her works over the years. I have had this book on my shelves since 2013 and for some reason have never picked it up. It was quite long and very rich and it took me almost a week to finish it, which is very long for me! While I did find the beginning to be long winded and slightly harder to get into, about half way it got very interesting and much easier to read in longer stretches.
I have added to quite a few challenges with this book and it was well overdue for a read!
  ChelleBearss | Mar 20, 2021 |
NA
  pszolovits | Feb 3, 2021 |
Time is not a line but a dimension, like the dimensions of space. If you can bend space you can bend time also, and if you knew enough and could move faster than light you could travel backward in time and exist in two places at once.
It was my brother Stephen who told me that, when he wore his raveling maroon sweater to study in and spent a lot of time standing on his head so that the blood would run down into his brain and nourish it. I didn't understand what he meant, but maybe he didn't explain it very well. He was already moving away from the imprecision of words.
  taurus27 | Jan 3, 2021 |
A rich and introspective Kunstlerroman, this novel unpacks the illusory nature of memory and time. It's a slow build, but I enjoyed it immensely. I think Atwood fans would probably enjoynthis, as well as artists. ( )
  DrFuriosa | Dec 4, 2020 |

Atwood, Margaretprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blaauw, Gerrit deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Franke, CharlotteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marcellino, FredCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When the Tukanas cut off her head, the old woman collected her own blood in her hands and blew it towards the sun. "My soul enters you, too!" she shouted. Since then anyone who kills receives in his body, without wanting or knowing it, the soul of his victim.
—Eduardo Galeano
Memory of Fire: Genesis
Why do we remember the past, and not the future?
—Stephen W. Hawking
A Brief History of Time
This book is for S.
Time is not a line but a dimension, like the dimensions of space.
An eye for an eye only leads to more blindness.
Another belief of mine: that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise.
Little girls are cute and small only to adults. To one another they are not cute. They are life-sized.

Controversial painter Elaine Risley vividly reflects on her childhood and teenage years. Her strongest memories are of Cordelia, who was the leader of a trio of girls who were both very cruel and very kind to young Elaine, in ways that tint Elaine's perceptions of relationships and her world—not to mention her art—into the character's middle years. The novel unfolds in Canada of the mid-20th century, from World War II to the late 1980s, and includes a look at many of the cultural elements of that time period, including feminism and various modern art movements.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,223,424 books! | Top bar: Always visible