Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood

Cat's Eye (original 1988; edition 1989)

by Margaret Atwood

7,028114515 (3.93)1 / 482
Member:chamekke
Title:Cat's Eye
Authors:Margaret Atwood
Info:Seal (1989), Edition: Seal ed, Mass Market Paperback
Rating:*****

Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood (1988)

Recently added byLitaVore, tdmmm, Keelz09, private library, Lisa17, redshoepoet, IffatSumaiya, lolibrarian

English (110)  Swedish (2)  Hebrew (1)  Dutch (1)  All (114)
I liked this better than the other Atwood books I have read. Perhaps this is due to the fact that it's the most realistic one. Though Elaine Risley grew up a generation earlier than I did, I could relate to her and her childhood in a way that I wasn't able to relate to characters in her other novels. ( )
  leslie.98 | Sep 15, 2016 |
My Gosh I am reading 1 book a day these few past days. Just lying in bed and read read read. Yesterday I picked this book. it has been on my shelf for years and I finished it last night.

It is good but not near as good as Handmaid's tale but what i did notice that there is a lot to think about once you have read this book. There is a lot left in the air and once done it makes you wonder. I like that. ( )
  Marlene-NL | Mar 12, 2016 |
The portrayal of the child Elaine's isolation and alienation made it hard to put this down, hard to keep reading. ( )
  seschanfield | Mar 7, 2016 |
Many of the reviewers here have rated this their favorite Atwood novel, and I would have to agree. I read it years ago, but remember wincing through the scenes of girlhood cruelty. They really brought childhood back to me. Love to reread this sometime. ( )
1 vote fromthecomfychair | Feb 11, 2016 |
Not my favourite Atwood novel, but still, she can do no wrong. A vivid and compelling insight into chldhood bullying. ( )
  tashlyn88 | Feb 5, 2016 |
"Being mortal is about the struggle to cope with the constraints of our biology, with the limits set by genes and cells and flesh and bone. Medical science has given us remarkable power to push against these limits, and the potential value of this power was a central reason I became a doctor. But again and again, I have seen the damage we in medicine do when we fail to acknowledge that such power is finite and always will be"

This book deserves a little quiet reflection before rushing off another of my glib and pithy reviews. In fact it deserves a more considered effort all together.

One of the questions the experience of reading this made me broach to myself was, "why did parts of this move you so, Cranswick, you big softie?"

Well I guess it is because the writer brings experience, knowledge and most of all empathy to a subject that each of us in our own way will face ere long. At the dawning of our lives the sunset of old age, illness and our demise is beyond the horizons of our understanding. As we grow closer to its actuality must we ponder the manner of our ending, our dignity, our life and death choices? I am firmly of the view that one needs to be of a certain age to appreciate and be moved by a book of this scope and nature and suffice to say I am of sufficient years to be sufficiently moved!

Gawande's precis here is on the finite nature of all things. The limit to life, the limit of advances in medical science to prolong life and how, in striving to do so, it can impinge upon the quality of the life it is seeking to lengthen. His examples, both professional and private used to examine his beliefs are handled with a candour and a sensitivity which does him great credit as a human being as well as a medical practitioner. Not many of us know how we will react if faced with the reality of terminal illness and to each the ways to cope will be profoundly different I am sure. There is no cure-all, he makes that clear - palliative care works for some, others want to tough it out and fight to the bitter end. I don't know what I would do but there is courage and dignity in both ways.

I am mortal. You are mortal. This book will not be so.
added by johnsmithsen | editlowongan kerja 2017 (Mar 9, 2010)

Margaret Atwoodprimary authorall editionscalculated
Blaauw, Gerrit deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marcellino, FredCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When the Tukanas cut off her head, the old woman collected her own blood in her hands and blew it towards the sun. "My soul enters you, too!" she shouted. Since then anyone who kills receives in his body, without wanting or knowing it, the soul of his victim.
—Eduardo Galeano
Memory of Fire: Genesis
Why do we remember the past, and not the future?
—Stephen W. Hawking
A Brief History of Time
This book is for S.
Time is not a line but a dimension, like the dimensions of space.
An eye for an eye only leads to more blindness.
Another belief of mine: that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise.
Little girls are cute and small only to adults. To one another they are not cute. They are life-sized.

Controversial painter Elaine Risley vividly reflects on her childhood and teenage years. Her strongest memories are of Cordelia, who was the leader of a trio of girls who were both very cruel and very kind to young Elaine, in ways that tint Elaine's perceptions of relationships and her world—not to mention her art—into the character's middle years. The novel unfolds in Canada of the mid-20th century, from World War II to the late 1980s, and includes a look at many of the cultural elements of that time period, including feminism and various modern art movements.

Cat's Eye is the story of Elaine Risley, a controversial painter who returns to Toronto, the city of her youth, for a retrospective of her art. Engulfed by vivid images of the past, she reminisces about a trio of girls who initiated her into the fierce politics of childhood and its secret world of friendship, longing, and betrayal. Elaine must come to terms with her own identity as a daughter, a lover, an artist, and a woman--but above all she must seek release from her haunting memories. Disturbing, hilarious, and compassionate, Cat's Eye is a breathtaking novel of a woman grappling with the tangled knot of her life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:17 -0400)

It is the story of Elaine Risley, a controversial painter who returns to the city of her youth for a retrospective of her art. Engulfed by vivid images of the past, she reminisces about a trio of girls who initiated her into the fierce politics of childhood and its secret world of friendship, longing, and betrayal. Elaine must come to terms with her own identity as a daughter, a lover, an artist, and a woman--but above all she must seek release from her haunting memories.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,833,141 books! | Top bar: Always visible