Catering To Nobody by Diane Mott Davidson

Catering To Nobody (original 1990; edition 1992)

by Diane Mott Davidson

Member:gpangel
Title:Catering To Nobody
Authors:Diane Mott Davidson
Info:Fawcett Crest (1992), Paperback
Collections:cozy mystery, Your library
Tags:cozy mystery

Catering To Nobody by Diane Mott Davidson (1990)

English (28)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (30)
A nicely done substantial plot for a book in its genre. The main character came with a few annoyances, but nothing that took away from the story. The Halloween setting and culinary theme are nicely incorporated. Recipes are included. ( )
  StephLaymon | Jan 26, 2016 |
Catering to Nobody by Diane Mott Davidson finished 10/13/15 3.5 ***
This book is a debut and first book in the Goldie Schultz
culinary mystery series. She is a favorite of mine, she
writes and lives in my state, and I have always loved her
recipes.

The main character is Goldie, a divorced mother of
one son who has started a catering business to supplement
her unstable child support income. Her ex-husband, an
abusive, cheating doctor, her ex-mother-in-law an alcoholic,
her ex-father-in-law, a cheating doctor like his son, and a
local cop.

I love her recipes and the clever ways she works them in
without slowing the story down. I share some of her history
and her love of cooking. ( )
  EmilyD1037 | Jan 19, 2016 |
Catering to Nobody by Diane Mott Davidson
2 stars

Goldy is a a single mom and caterer in small-town Colorado. While catering the funeral of her son's suicidal favorite teacher Laura Smiley, her former father in-law is poisoned. Her ex is quick to lay the blame at her feet and until the matter is cleared up, her catering business and sole source of income is shut down - just in time for the Christmas holidays, a caterer's busiest season. In order to save her business Goldy starts investigating for herself and turns up a lot more than she expected, starting with the supposed suicide of Laura Smiley.

The book was the epitome of why I don't typically read cozy mysteries. I found the writing to be dreadful, littered with such awful metaphors as "Overhead the sky was a deep periwinkle blue, as if a celestial housecleaner had spilled a bottle of bluing agent to the four corners of the earth." Why would her editor not tell her this not an appealing description of a deep blue Colorado sky? On top of the poor writing, the characters were shallow and uninteresting, the plot formulaic and the killer obvious. I'm unclear as to why anyone would tag it 'thrillers.' The only thing thrilling about it was finally getting to the end and being done with it. The most interesting part of the book was the recipes the author occassionally shared. I know I'll be trying the Honey-I'm-Home Ginger Snaps and Holy Moly Guacamole. The only reason it didn't get one star was because I reserve single star ratings for classic novels that I expect more out of.
  Mootastic1 | Jan 15, 2016 |
Goldy Baer has a catering service which gets everything "just right." At least everything was just right until someone poisoned her ex-father-in-law at an event she catered. Her business is closed down and she has lost her only means of support until the culprit can be found.

The audible version is read by the great Barbara Rosenblatt. Her great characterizations are a pleasure to listen to and I look forward to the rest of the series. It was a fun quick read. Recommended. ( )
  bg853 | Oct 19, 2014 |
I barely remember this one but generally I enjoy Davidson's mysteries. ( )
  phyllis2779 | Oct 7, 2014 |

Diane Mott Davidsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rosenblat, BarbaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553584707, Mass Market Paperback)

MEET THE CATERER WHO WHIPPED UP THE
MULTIMILLION-COPY MYSTERY SERIES–
AS GOLDY SOLVES HER FIRST MURDER!

Diane Mott Davidson’s winning recipe of first-class suspense and five-star fare has won her and caterer Goldy critical raves and a regular place on major bestseller lists across the country. In Goldy’s tantalizing debut, she serves up a savory dish of secrets, suspicions, and murder....

INCLUDING NEVER-BEFORE-PUBLISHED RECIPES

Catering a wake is not Goldy’s idea of fun. Yet the Colorado caterer throws herself into preparing a savory feast including Poached Salmon and Strawberry Shortcake Buffet designed to soothe forty mourners. And her culinary efforts seem to be exactly what the doctor ordered...until her ex-father-in-law gynecologist Fritz Korman is struck down and Goldy is accused of adding poison to the menu. Now, with the Department of Health impounding her leftovers, her ex-husband proclaiming her guilt, and her business about to be shut down, Goldy knows she can’t wait for the police to serve up the answers. She’ll soon uncover more than one family skeleton and a veritable stew of unpalatable secrets–the kind that could make Goldy the main course in an unsavory killer’s next murder!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:27 -0400)

When Goldy caters a wake, her ex-father-in-law drops dead, and Goldy is accused of poisoning him. As she investigates, she uncovers more than one family skeleton, and a veritable stew of unpalatable secrets.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,715,668 books! | Top bar: Always visible