Catering To Nobody by Diane Mott Davidson

Catering To Nobody (original 1990; edition 1992)

by Diane Mott Davidson

1,203256,658 (3.51)27
Member:gpangel
Title:Catering To Nobody
Authors:Diane Mott Davidson
Info:Fawcett Crest (1992), Paperback
Collections:cozy mystery, Your library
Tags:cozy mystery

Catering to Nobody by Diane Mott Davidson (1990)

English (23)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (25)
Some mystery
Some recipes (actually good ones!)
Some easy characters and reading.
Reading my way thru this series now and in future.
Read in 2004. ( )
  CasaBooks | Mar 14, 2014 |
What fun to find a new author, and recipes too! I enjoyed the adventures of this determined and plucky caterer, and look forward to more of the series. ( )
  wareagle78 | Feb 8, 2014 |
Aren't I pleased with this particular book. Here I was, being depressed about how my average rating system was going up, due to the various books that chalked up a high score. Then hey presto, along comes this gestalt of a book with its 15 other sequels tagging along-the 16th on the way. Suddenly my dilemma was solved. What dilemma you ask? Exactly.

To be serious I'm going to give this series a chance. All I've been able to do this time around was to ease myself into the unfamiliar writing that any cozy series bring to the table. This book has a higher vocab than usual cozies. It's also varied, there are attempts at humor, some of which stick to the wall, some off the wall. The sole plus I've scraped from this...experience, is that there are no characters I despise. This book is about 300 pages but it felt like more. That's why I said about easing myself into the sequels. The style doesn't help, and time drags on instead of flying past while reading Catering to Nobody. Maybe I need to crowbar myself in instead. ( )
  Jiraiya | Aug 17, 2013 |
great start to this series, which is yet another I started reading out of order. Oh well ( )
  JanetArmentani | Jul 25, 2013 |
After listening to my friend's audio copy of Fatally Flaky I decided to give the rest of the series a listen.Catering to Nobody by Diane Mott Davidson started the Goldy Bear Culinary series in 1990.

The book opens with Goldy catering the wake for Arch's teacher. While Goldy just wants to get through the wake and help Arch grieve, she can't because someone puts rat poison in her ex-father-in-law's drink!

As this is the first book, a lot of the character dynamics from later books aren't there. Instead of Julian, for instance, there's a ditzy roommate who while funny in her own right, doesn't play off Goldy and Arch in quite the same way. Finally, Tom Schulz who plays a much larger and more sympathetic roll later on is more of a foil here.

Although I figured out most of the who-done-it well before Goldy does, I still enjoyed listening to the book. It was interesting to see the characters so far removed from where they were in the first book I'd read. ( )
  pussreboots | Apr 14, 2013 |

Diane Mott Davidsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rosenblat, BarbaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553584707, Mass Market Paperback)

MEET THE CATERER WHO WHIPPED UP THE
MULTIMILLION-COPY MYSTERY SERIES–
AS GOLDY SOLVES HER FIRST MURDER!

Diane Mott Davidson’s winning recipe of first-class suspense and five-star fare has won her and caterer Goldy critical raves and a regular place on major bestseller lists across the country. In Goldy’s tantalizing debut, she serves up a savory dish of secrets, suspicions, and murder....

INCLUDING NEVER-BEFORE-PUBLISHED RECIPES

Catering a wake is not Goldy’s idea of fun. Yet the Colorado caterer throws herself into preparing a savory feast including Poached Salmon and Strawberry Shortcake Buffet designed to soothe forty mourners. And her culinary efforts seem to be exactly what the doctor ordered...until her ex-father-in-law gynecologist Fritz Korman is struck down and Goldy is accused of adding poison to the menu. Now, with the Department of Health impounding her leftovers, her ex-husband proclaiming her guilt, and her business about to be shut down, Goldy knows she can’t wait for the police to serve up the answers. She’ll soon uncover more than one family skeleton and a veritable stew of unpalatable secrets–the kind that could make Goldy the main course in an unsavory killer’s next murder!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:22 -0400)

When Goldy caters a wake, her ex-father-in-law drops dead, and Goldy is accused of poisoning him. As she investigates, she uncovers more than one family skeleton, and a veritable stew of unpalatable secrets.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,723,595 books! | Top bar: Always visible