Hammered by Elizabeth Bear

Hammered

by Elizabeth Bear

Series: Jenny Casey (1)

637None15,198 (3.79)50

English (15)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (17)
This was my introduction to the work of Elizabeth Bear. I read it in 2005, while I was doing a lot of travel as a technical consultant, flying from the west coast to the east. Rather than carrying printed books, I read on my Palm Pilot PDA. I bought the first book in the series, this book, read it on the first leg of the trip, then spent way too much money for an Internet connection at the first layover so I could buy the other two . . .

Some good, hard, true writing, and fabulous characterization. Plus a fabulous story that wasn't predictable.
  medievalist | Sep 25, 2013 |
First of a trilogy, this near-future tale is about a woman for whom time is running out.

Set in the mid-21st Century, Jenny Casey is a former member of the Canadian Special Forces. She was part of the UN peacekeeping troops sent to New England in reaction to the food riots of the 2030's. She decided to stay in Hartford, Connecticut, mostly hiding from her government. A new, and very deadly, drug, a Canadian military enhancement drug called The Hammer, has become available on the streets of Hartford. Not even Razorface, the local crime lord, can discover the supply route. Much more important to Jenny is that her cybernetic enhancements are failing.

Years earlier, in a different war, Casey was severely injured. She walked out of the hospital with a metallic left arm, an artificial eye and various internal "improvements." If she doesn't have the required surgery now, she will die. Traveling to Toronto on the track of The Hammer, she is roped into having the surgery (she is pushing fifty years old). Casey is given a chance at what might be the ultimate pilot job (she is a former medevac pilot). It has to do with the "space race" moving to Mars, and shifting from Russia vs America (which is now a Christian Fascist state) to Canada vs China.

Bear does an excellent job from start to finish. I live just a few miles from Hartford, so I was most interested in her portrayal of the city (she gets it right). The book has enough high-tech and near future dystopia to keep anyone happy. This is a gem of a book. ( )
1 vote plappen | Oct 16, 2012 |
Jun11:

Re-read the whole series.

Characters: Yes, the AI stole the show, but the other characters were pretty solid too. The first book also featured a little bit of film noir detectives. Actually, I also have a soft spot for Fred Valens. A really well done sorta anti-hero.

Plot: This plot is actually rather coherent and interesting. Standard cyberpunk villain of run-amuck corporation but I still liked it.

Style: Solid Cyberpunk. Maybe even less confusing and high-handed than much of cyberpunk. Maybe just better on the second go-around. This book had a bit of grit too.

Pre09:

Yea, this series was alright overall. The plot really just fell apart in the long run. What is wrong with most cyberpunk authors? I guess that's why I like Neal Stephenson. At least he keeps a plot going.

The AI was super cool in this series though. And the lead was cool enough in the first book and a half or so. ( )
  Isamoor | May 23, 2010 |
Bummer. An urban sci-fi (to coin a phrase), with a character who's my age and gender, who's determined and gutsy* and yet I can't relate to her.
The plot also sounded like it would be great, but I couldn't get into it.

Couldn't even finish it.

*like me ;=) ( )
  jms1203 | Mar 13, 2010 |
I don't read much sci-fi, but I picked up this because I follow Bear's blog and wanted to read more of her books. I brought this along on a road trip and ended up reading the entire book in one day!

"Hammered" has a very unique premise, and that is part of the appeal. Jenny Casey is almost 50, and her body is tired. She's lived half her life with a cutting-edge artificial limb and neuro technology that are no longer cutting edge - they fail a little more each day, leaving her crippled by pain and flashbacks. Old ghosts from the past began to trail her, and it turns out she's still considered an asset by the government. This all takes place in a grim 2062 where the United States is a wrecked country and Canada is a super-power (and leader in space exploration). ( )
  ladycato | Aug 10, 2009 |

Elizabeth Bearprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Youll,PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553587501, Mass Market Paperback)

Once Jenny Casey was somebody’s daughter. Once she was somebody’s enemy. Now the former Canadian special forces warrior lives on the hellish streets of Hartford, Connecticut, in the year 2062. Racked with pain, hiding from the government she served, running with a crime lord so she can save a life or two, Jenny is a month shy of fifty, and her artificially reconstructed body has started to unravel. But she is far from forgotten. A government scientist needs the perfect subject for a high-stakes project and has Jenny in his sights. Suddenly Jenny Casey is a pawn in a furious battle, waged in the corridors of the Internet, on the streets of battered cities, and in the complex wirings of her half-man-made nervous system. And she needs to gain control of the game before a brave new future spins completely out of control.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:35 -0400)

Once Jenny Casey was somebody's daughter. Once she was somebody's enemy. Now the former Canadian special forces warrior lives on the hellish streets of Hartford, Connecticut, in the year 2062. Racked with pain, hiding from the government she served, running with a crime lord so she can save a life or two, Jenny is a month shy of fifty, and her artificially reconstructed body has started to unravel. But she is far from forgotten. A government scientist needs the perfect subject for a high-stakes project and has Jenny in his sights. Suddenly Jenny Casey is a pawn in a furious battle, waged in the corridors of the Internet, on the streets of battered cities, and in the complex wirings of her half-man-made nervous system. And she needs to gain control of the game before a brave new future spins completely out of control.… (more)

Elizabeth Bear is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,475,577 books! | Top bar: Always visible