Melusine by Sarah Monette

Member:Jenson_AKA_DL
Title:Melusine
Authors:Sarah Monette
Info:Ace (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 496 pages
Tags:fantasy, wizards, thieves, epic quest, LT author, owned

Melusine by Sarah Monette

English (51)  German (1)  All languages (52)
Although I would probably lean more towards 3.5 stars, this novel proved to be incredibly addictive, which I found particularly surprising since, after a certain event that happens in the early chapters, I wasn't even sure I wanted to carry on reading it. However, I persevered and was rewarded by one of the most individual and brilliant narrators I've ever come across. Full review coming soon. ( )
  Leander2010 | Jul 21, 2014 |
The first book in Sarah Monette's Doctrine of Labyrinths series, Melusine drops the reader into the middle of a 17th-ish-century Europe-esque fantasy world where those who can wield magic hold political and social power. The story follows two denizens of the city of Melusine--Felix, a wizard with a secret past, and ex-street urchin and thief Mildmay--and switches between their points of view. Within the space of a few pages, both Felix and Mildmay become entangled in the political and magical struggles of the city through seemingly minor missteps of their own which end up utterly altering their lives.

The details of the world Monette has built are rich, fascinating, and immersive, and much of what makes this such a great read comes from her ability to wrap the reader up in those details. However, striking the balance between over- and under-explaining in world-building is tricksy, and Monette may have erred a bit on the side of under-explaining here. I really felt dropped into this world, and the lack of any sense of big picture for the world in which the story takes place made the read a little claustrophobic. That effect may have worked well in telling the story, but I think a little bit more catching the reader up wouldn't have gone amiss (the calendar and counting systems still elude me, even after I looked up the author's own explanation of them on her website). Most of the filling-in and figuring-out I had to do while reading added to the experience and helped form the layers of the fantasy world, but some of it was just distracting.

But I was completely caught up in the story throughout, and the novel manages to avoid dragging in the middle (a frequent failure, I find, of fantasy novels). I was also equally invested in both Felix's and Mildmay's stories and points of view, which attests to Monette's ability to create interesting characters and keep the overall story moving despite working with parallel narrative lines. Melusine deals with some dark, dark stuff (abusive mind-games, rape, murder, torture, violence--it hits the hurt/comfort trope hard, mostly on the hurt end of things, at least in this entry in the series), but does so compellingly and without becoming depressing or squicky (for me--YMMV, of course). While the book does not end on a cliff-hanger, it does leave all kinds of plot threads and emotional arcs tantalizingly dangling, and I'm looking forward to getting my paws on the next book. ( )
1 vote lycomayflower | Feb 19, 2014 |
Read while traveling. I didn't have a good reading environment for enjoying this until midway through, and then I was hooked. I need to reread the first half at least, though. I have a feeling I missed some important details.

...

Okay, I've reread enough to write a coherent review.

Mélusine was a much more intense, disturbing, and violent book than I was prepared for, and so reading it was in some places extremely disturbing. But if you don't get squicked by rape, torture, mindfucks, or insanity, then it's quite good. :)

The world-building is incredibly vivid, although the crazy math system is very confusing. The trouble with it is that the immersion of the reader into the world-specific details is rapid and not entirely clear. The investment in the characters and their stories is enough to mostly make up for that, but it's still an unnecessary distraction from the reading experience.

Not many books satisfy my craving for detailed settings, but this has fabulous description that is at the same time in character for the point-of-view character to notice. Really beautifully done.

I was worried in a couple of scenes that things would descend to clichéd D&D dungeon-crawls, but they didn't. There were some really wonderful left turns that made the whole thing feel new, but also hearken back to a Tolkienesque legacy.

There are two more books in the series, and the happy ending of this one makes me want to pick up the next book *now*, but I admit I'm hoping that the worst of the horror done to Felix and Mildmay is over with.

3 stars instead of 4 because with hurt/comfort fic, I need a greater balance of comfort at the end than this gives to feel content with the ending. ( )
3 vote sageness | Feb 7, 2014 |
This is a fucking dark book. It starts off with one of the two narrators, Felix, being outed as a former prostitute and then raped physically, magically and mentally, and his being framed for a horrible crime. The other narrator is a cat burglar in the rough lower city and we know that he's suffered his own trials. Their stories only barely intersect before the middle of the book, when a magician hires Mildmay to steal Felix from the mental hospital where he's been stuffed until the other magicians can get past his madness to figure out how the crime was committed. We spend a lot of time in Felix's head, he's not an unreliable narrator per se, but his perceptions are definitely skewed and he doesn't understand most of what's going on around himself. I didn't particularly like him when we was "himself", but understood Mildmay's frustration as he tried to keep Felix safe, mostly by having to play along with whatever the current delusion was. I liked it enough to request the next book from the library. One line that had me giggling was as Mildmay was working for passage, he's helping out the cook and says something like "When I'm given a potato to peel, I don't fuck around with it." :)
It was worth going to the author's website to see a map of the city and get an explanation of the calendar. She also has an lj at truepenny ( )
  silentq | Aug 14, 2013 |
Pretty pretty broken boys. Shiny. First in a series. Less shiny. ( )
  GinnyTea | Mar 31, 2013 |

Sarah Monetteprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
York, JudyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For A.L.M.
This is the worst story I know about hocuses. And it’s true.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441014178, Mass Market Paperback)

Mélusine-a city of secrets and lies, pleasure and pain, magic and corruption. It is here that wizard Felix Harrowgate and cat-burglar Mildmay the Fox will find their destinies intertwined in a world of sensuality and savagery.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:25 -0400)

"Melusine - a city of secrets and lies, pleasure and pain, magic and corruption - and destinies lost and found." "Felix Harrowgate is a dashing, highly respected wizard. But his aristocratic peers don't know his dark past - how his abusive former master enslaved him, body and soul, and trained him to pass as a nobleman. Within the walls of the Mirador - Melusine's citadel of power and wizardry - Felix believed he was safe. He was wrong. Now, the horrors of his previous life have found him and threaten to destroy all he has since become." "Mildmay the Fox is used to being hunted. Raised as a kept-thief and trained as an assassin, he escaped his Keeper long ago and lives on his own as a cat burglar. But now he has been caught by a mysterious foreign wizard using a powerful calling charm. And yet the wizard was looking not for Mildmay - but for Felix Harrowgate." "Thrown together by fate, the broken wizard Felix and the wanted killer Mildmay journey far from Melusine through lands thick with strange magics and terrible demons of darkness. But it is the shocking secret from their pasts, linking them inexorably together, that will either save them, or destroy them."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Sarah Monette is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,696,403 books! | Top bar: Always visible