The half-mad Prince Boleso has been slain by a noblewoman he had intended to defile. It falls to Lord Ingrey kin Wilfcliff to transport the prince to his burial place and to bring the accused killer, Lady Ijada, to judgment. His mission is an ugly and delicate one, for the imminent death of the old Hallow King has placed the crown in play, and the road he travels with his burden and his prisoner is fraught with danger. But in the midst of political chaos, magic has the fiercer hold on Ingrey's destiny, and Ijada herself may turn out to be the only one he dares trust.… (more)
    The Golden Key by Kate Elliott (Severn)
    Severn: Different style of writing, yet similar plot content. Definitely recommended.

I wept on the train to work and again in the office. Quite a wonderful book. ( )
  mjhunt | Jan 22, 2021 |
Interesting story. I had difficulty keeping the gods, animal spirits and characters straight listening on audiobook ( )
  Saraishelafs | Nov 4, 2020 |
This third book is much the same and significantly different than the others, so much so that they're all about the same amount of difference between them while in the same world, but all of them have so much of the same gentleness and levels of extreme intensity. It's very odd to describe, and I'm sorry for making a hash of it, but it's still valid.

The gods are always making a mess of things, and sometimes it's so much worse than we think. Here's to the wolf! And here's to the Horse! Can we rely on the gods to help us in the mortal realm, or do they just wanna deal with the souls? Well, that's a big and important question across all the novels, and rather than just making a saint or creating a Paladin, I actually get to feel really sorry for Ingrey, our resident werewolf and god-ridden hero and the love of his life, the spirit-touched geas-ridden Ijada.

Such a fascinating and torturous tale, from how both of them are plagued by gods, how their world distrusts them, to the geas they both must fulfill, separately, even as they learn to love each other in such a serious, serious affair.

I can say, honestly, that the climax was all sorts of awesome and scary and quite unusual for a fantasy tale. The mythos that Bujold describes has been consistently borrowing from common symbolism but it's very deep and powerful all on its own and quite amazing. :) Just thinking about all those animals, iterations of animals, gives me the chills.

Very good novel and worth a lot more praise and close reading than I think it has gotten by the general public, perhaps. :) ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
Chalion #3 ( )
  Ronald.Marcil | Jul 7, 2019 |
This is the third and (at least for now) last novel of Five Gods cycle. There are some also short stories and novellas. Just like the first two, they are set in a common world but have different main characters and storylines. Once again there are strong theological musings, this time with a version of druidic-type faith. The story is set several centuries prior the previous volumes and we find out that Five Gods faith came with invaders (think Christianity) destroying local societies with their tribal ways and totem animals. The fantasy element is that people were able to actually ‘ingest’ animal spirit as a part of their souls.
The story starts with the murder, and not an ordinary one. A prince and possible heir is killed by a girl he tried to rape. A special investigator is sent by the court in order to hush possible undesirable rumors and find out what happened. He finds that the old and forbidden animal magic is involved. The problem is that he himself has a wolf spirit in him.
For me this is the weakest novel of the three. It is still quite interesting but less engulfing at least for me.
  Oleksandr_Zholud | Jan 9, 2019 |
Bujold's ability to sustain a breathless pace of action while preserving a heady sense of verisimilitude in a world of malignant wonders makes this big novel occasionally brilliant—and not a word too long.
added by rretzler | editPublishers Weekly (starred review) (pay site) (May 12, 2005)

Bujold, Lois McMasterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bowers, David MCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gavin, MargueriteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Serrano,Ervinjacket designsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The prince was dead.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,673,152 books! | Top bar: Always visible