The Hallowed Hunt (Chalion 3) by Lois…
Member:infiniteletters
Title:The Hallowed Hunt (Chalion 3)
Authors:Lois McMaster Bujold
Info:New York : Eos Fantasy. 2006, c2005. 18 cm. ; 423 p.
Collections:Your library, Living Room, Series
Tags:fantasy, military, animal spirits, possession, mystery, quest, royalty, princes, princesses, kings, earls, magic, demons, mind control, gods, immortality, death, love, ghosts, dreams, Weald, series, Chalion, MerryMary, from Bookmooch, small paperback

The Hallowed Hunt by Lois McMaster Bujold

Recently added byprivate library, emmafclarke, jerry-book, BomboChipolata, Desquil, agille37, LadyInque
    The Golden Key by Kate Elliott (Severn)
    Severn: Different style of writing, yet similar plot content. Definitely recommended.

When when Prince Boleso is killed by a noblewoman, Ingrey is sent to investigate and bring the woman and the prince's body back for a funeral and a trial. However, it is soon apparent that things are not what they seem and old powers are beginning to resurface. This is the third book in the Chalion series. Like the earlier novels in the series, I really liked the mythology of the world and how the five gods manipulate the inhabitants. The characters were strong and likable. I wish we were given more time with the secondary characters. I wanted to know more about them and their stories, but felt like we were just given a small glimpse of their potential. Unlike the first too books, I was a little disappointed in the amount of time the story and mystery was moved along by long winded conversations where the hero is just told what is happening. He didn't do much to discover stuff on his own and it seemed a little convenient that he was given the information when he needed it. Although it was the weakest of the three novels, I still recommend it. Bujold is a talented writer how always seems to breath fresh air into the fantasy genre. ( )
  Cora-R | Jan 13, 2016 |
Lois McMaster Bujold, an accomplished and expert writer of science fictions, applies her enviable skills to this, the third in her Chalion novels, self-contained fantasy tales that are tightly-plotted, character-driven dramas set in a carefully constructed world where the quasi-medieval politics and the supernatural mix to deadly effect. In The Hallowed Hunt, an exiled prince is murdered, and a young lord sent to bring his killer to justice. Except the prince was dabbling int forbidden rites and intended to force himself on the young woman, who bashed his brains in with his own war-hammer and received an unwelcome spiritual gift in return. The young lord has laboured his whole life under a similar burden, but it is not the wolf spirit welded to his own should that causes him to try and kill his charge.

What was the nature of the rite, and who placed the ugly spell on the lord, and what does it have to do with the impending death of the current hallow king and a conflict that came to a blood-soaked end centuries before?

I found this a bit slow to start. I found the last book I read a bit slow to start. I found the book before that slow to start. I think I may just be in a finding-books-slow-to-start kind of a mood. Past a certain point, Bujold's innate, not to say addictive, readability kicks in and between the compelling characters and the intractable mysteries and the tangled plot, slow turns to quick in no time flat. ( )
  Nigel_Quinlan | Oct 21, 2015 |
The Hallowed Hunt was very good but, perhaps, not quite up to the first two "Chalion" novels. Since I had read some of the remarks of others I went into it without particularly high expectations and was pleasantly surprised. However, I will definitely reread the other two but maybe not this one.
  hailelib | Jun 9, 2015 |
The Hallowed Hunt by Lois McMaster Bujold is the third book in her Chalion series, and as I had been warned, did not live up to the excellence of the first two books. All three books have plots that explore the religion that the author developed for this world, but this one seems rather over-burdened with it and as a result the story suffered. The book started slowly and seemed to consist of many long conversations about animal spirits, and which spirits were in who, and how they got there.

This was disappointing as this author consistently gives her readers great characters and stories that totally steal your heart, and I think this could have held true with both Lord Ingrey and Lady Ijada had the story been a little more wide open and the characters developed a little more. Overall, I felt this was a difficult book to appreciate due to it’s slow start and baffling theological plot points.

Lois McMaster Bujold is one of my favorite authors, and I hate to give less than a glowing report on one of her books. Luckily all three books in this series are very loosely connected and can be read as stand alone stories. I highly recommend the first two books, The Curse of Chalion and The Palladin of Souls, and would suggest that only the most dedicated fans pick up The Hallowed Hunt. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | May 29, 2015 |
"Hallowed Hunt" is set in the same world as the other two "Chalion" books, but not actually in Chalion, which is only one country in that world. "Hunt" introduces entirely new characters and a new kind of magic, although the five gods are still there, and still causing complications for the hero. You could probably read this one as a stand alone, but I think you're missing something if you pass up "Curse of Chalion" and "Paladin of Souls."

I enjoyed this book. The characters, as usual, were great. I love Bujold's writing and I'm a sucker for romance, so I found this book as satisfying in that respect as the previous two. I don't read straight romance genre because I like more to the story than that, however, and this one didn't let me down there, either. I didn't give it 5 stars because I had a few minor issues with the plot, which seemed a bit less fully-explained in places than what I've come to expect from Bujold. (Mini-SPOILER: That mystical thing that the single-lived Hallow Kings were passing down... what did it do for them and did they actually even know they had it?) ( )
  Carol_W | Apr 17, 2015 |

Lois McMaster Bujoldprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bowers, David MCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gavin, MargueriteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Serrano,Ervinjacket designsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The prince was dead.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060574747, Mass Market Paperback)

A magnificent epic tale of devotion, possession, obsession, and strange destiny from the author of the Hugo Award-winning

Paladin of Souls

Lois McMaster Bujold

The half-mad Prince Boleso has been slain by a noblewoman he had intended to defile -- and Lord Ingrey kin Wilfcliff must transport the body to its burial place and the accused killer, the Lady Ijada, to judgment. With the death of the old Hallow King imminent and the crown in play, the road they must travel together is a dangerous one. And though he is duty-bound to deliver his prisoner to an almost certain death, Ijada may be the only one Ingrey dares trust. For a monstrous malevolence holds the haunted lord in its sway -- and a great and terrible destiny has been bestowed upon him by the gods, the damned, and the dead.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:53 -0400)

A forbidden spirit now inhabits the soul of Ijada, giving her senses she never wished for and an obligation no one sane would desire. At once psychically linked to the remarkable lady and repelled by what she carries within, Ingrey fears the havoc his own inner beast could wreak while on their journey, as he fights a powerful growing attraction, and an equally powerful compulsion to kill. The road they travel together is beset with dangers, and though duty bound to deliver Ijada to an almost certain execution, Ingrey soon realizes that she is the only one he dares trust. For a malevolent enemy with designs on a troubled kingdom holds Ingrey in his sway, and without Ijada's aid and love, the haunted lord will never be able to break free and realize the great and terrible destiny bestowed upon him by the gods, the damned, and the dead.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,026,647 books! | Top bar: Always visible