The Hallowed Hunt (Chalion 3) by Lois…

The Hallowed Hunt (Chalion 3) (edition 2006)

by Lois McMaster Bujold

Series: Chalion (3)

Member:infiniteletters
Title:The Hallowed Hunt (Chalion 3)
Authors:Lois McMaster Bujold
Info:New York : Eos Fantasy. 2006, c2005. 18 cm. ; 423 p.
Collections:Your library, Living Room, Series
Tags:fantasy, military, animal spirits, possession, mystery, quest, royalty, princes, princesses, kings, earls, magic, demons, mind control, gods, immortality, death, love, ghosts, dreams, Weald, series, Chalion, MerryMary, from Bookmooch, small paperback

The Hallowed Hunt by Lois McMaster Bujold

The Golden Key by Kate Elliot (Severn)
    Severn: Different style of writing, yet similar plot content. Definitely recommended.

I screwed up & listened to this as the 2d book in the trilogy, not last. I don't think it's that big of a deal since it takes place way before the first two & has nothing but the world in common. I read the first of this trilogy when it came out & then the second, but never got around to this one. The gal that read this was quite a good reader, but different from the other two books.

The first half of the book dragged for me. I almost quit. Way too much description & thinking (exposition) on the parts of the main characters for a mere few days traveling. Yes, there was a lot to set up, but it could have been done a lot better.

The last half was very twisty & action packed. The hero was somewhat subtle. We knew his courageous, tough, & somewhat sinister reputation, but he had little ability to show it off during the first half. In the last, it shined even with the romantic theme that ran so strongly through the story line.

There were a lot of excellent characters; good, bad, & 'damn-if-I'm-sure'. Some were neither due to complicated politics & theology. I pitied the best & the worst, as well as liked or disliked them. It all added up to a great story, but due to the slow beginning, I just can't give it a 4th star. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
The third venture into the Quintarian Universe by Lois McMaster Bujold introduces animal magic that gives "The Hallowed Hunt" it's name. The reader follows Ingrey kin Wolfcliff as he first investigates the death of the youngest son of the hallowed king of the Weald only to find himself mired in a conspiracy involving the ancient animal magic of the Old Weald that he is already personally familiar with.

From the first page the narrative hardly lets the reader take a breathe as the story unfolds before them thanks to the great craft of Bujold. The introduction of the animal magic of the Old Weald does take time to understand both for the characters and the readers, though this might have been the intention of the author from the start. However, the animal magic itself is a wonderful addition to the Universe that Bujold created. "The Hallowed Hunt" is a solid, good story that only suffers when compared to the first two books in the Quintarian Universe because there were no already familiar characters the reader knew from either previous book like there had been in "Paladin of Souls".

After finishing this book, I felt a great sadness that Bujold hasn't written another venture into this fantastic world. If you haven't read any of the books in this series, you're missing out. ( )
  mattries37315 | Aug 15, 2014 |
Disappointing. I love Bujold's work and really liked the other two books set in this universe, but this one wasn't really up to scratch. I liked the characters, but I found the plot gaps frustrating. We never really find out why Ingrey was given his wolf, nor why his father sought to have a wolf. There's a lot of good stuff here, but I'd have liked the whole story, and perhaps a bit more information earlier to give the readers clues to things that come up later on. ( )
  JudithProctor | Apr 18, 2014 |
I think Lois McMaster Bujold has exactly the right idea with the Chalion series. Each book stands alone, but if you have read the first one (Curse of Chalion), you get all the background material you need to understand the geographical, political, and religious systems of her world. This means that later books (Paladin of Souls and The Hallowed Hunt) can have fresh new characters and plots, but we don't have to endure many info dumps. The magic system, meanwhile, gets more and more complex, as we learn more in each book. Perhaps best of all, the plot can wrap up at the end of each novel.

What I like best about Bujold is her wonderfully imaginative and complicated magic. I love how she lets the reader discover it a little at a time (it would be overwhelming if she threw it all at us at once). We learn about the magic as the characters do, and this makes for a lot of mystery and tension. Plots get deeper, more complex, and scarier throughout this series.

Bujold's characters are always deep, especially the point-of-view character whose private thoughts we are privy to. In The Hallowed Hunt, that character is Ingrey, a nobleman who bears a wolf spirit and has been charged to transport the noblewoman Ijada to the capital, for she's been accused of killing the prince who tried to rape her. The prince was dabbling in some dark sorcery which affected Ijada, and together Ingrey and Ijada must unravel the mystery of the spirit animals. As they learn more and more, the magic get deeper, darker, and actually quite frightening.

The Hallowed Hunt is another excellent installment in the Chalion series. I'm not rating it as highly as the others, though, because I felt like the climax at the end wasn't quite as tight as the previous two books. Ingrey, the hero, ended up correctly guessing some of the solutions and Bujold threw in a bit of romantic fluff involving two beating half-hearts that made my eyes roll. But, all in all, it was a very good fantasy and I sincerely hope that Bujold will grace us with more Chalion stories in the future.

Read more Lois McMaster Bujold book reviews at Fantasy literature. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
A good and satisfying read with a major twist. However, if you've read Curse of Chalion or Paladin of Souls it doesn't offer much in the way that's new. ( )
  CBrachyrhynchos | Feb 4, 2014 |

Lois McMaster Bujoldprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bowers, David MCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gavin, MargueriteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The prince was dead.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060574747, Mass Market Paperback)

A magnificent epic tale of devotion, possession, obsession, and strange destiny from the author of the Hugo Award-winning

Paladin of Souls

Lois McMaster Bujold

The half-mad Prince Boleso has been slain by a noblewoman he had intended to defile -- and Lord Ingrey kin Wilfcliff must transport the body to its burial place and the accused killer, the Lady Ijada, to judgment. With the death of the old Hallow King imminent and the crown in play, the road they must travel together is a dangerous one. And though he is duty-bound to deliver his prisoner to an almost certain death, Ijada may be the only one Ingrey dares trust. For a monstrous malevolence holds the haunted lord in its sway -- and a great and terrible destiny has been bestowed upon him by the gods, the damned, and the dead.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:32 -0400)

A forbidden spirit now inhabits the soul of Ijada, giving her senses she never wished for and an obligation no one sane would desire. At once psychically linked to the remarkable lady and repelled by what she carries within, Ingrey fears the havoc his own inner beast could wreak while on their journey, as he fights a powerful growing attraction, and an equally powerful compulsion to kill. The road they travel together is beset with dangers, and though duty bound to deliver Ijada to an almost certain execution, Ingrey soon realizes that she is the only one he dares trust. For a malevolent enemy with designs on a troubled kingdom holds Ingrey in his sway, and without Ijada's aid and love, the haunted lord will never be able to break free and realize the great and terrible destiny bestowed upon him by the gods, the damned, and the dead.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,781,608 books! | Top bar: Always visible