The Hallowed Hunt by Lois McMaster Bujold

The Hallowed Hunt (edition 2006)

by Lois McMaster Bujold

Authors:Lois McMaster Bujold
Info:Harper Voyager (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 448 pages
Collections:Reviewed, ebooks
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, fantasy, romance, high fantasy, demons

The Hallowed Hunt by Lois McMaster Bujold

Recently added bylkmiller, johanna414, Kat_Hooper, BrantGardner, adrienne, ewillse, private library, karyanca
animal spirits (9) bujold (29) chalion (124) Chalion series (14) demons (13) ebook (15) fantasy (561) favorites (7) fiction (176) Finished (8) five gods (13) gods (16) hardcover (19) high fantasy (15) library (8) magic (30) novel (13) own (9) paperback (11) read (18) religion (19) romance (25) science fiction (20) series (36) sf (28) sff (54) signed (14) speculative fiction (12) to-read (25) unread (27)
    The Golden Key by Kate Elliot (Severn)
    Severn: Different style of writing, yet similar plot content. Definitely recommended.

I think Lois McMaster Bujold has exactly the right idea with the Chalion series. Each book stands alone, but if you have read the first one (Curse of Chalion), you get all the background material you need to understand the geographical, political, and religious systems of her world. This means that later books (Paladin of Souls and The Hallowed Hunt) can have fresh new characters and plots, but we don't have to endure many info dumps. The magic system, meanwhile, gets more and more complex, as we learn more in each book. Perhaps best of all, the plot can wrap up at the end of each novel.

What I like best about Bujold is her wonderfully imaginative and complicated magic. I love how she lets the reader discover it a little at a time (it would be overwhelming if she threw it all at us at once). We learn about the magic as the characters do, and this makes for a lot of mystery and tension. Plots get deeper, more complex, and scarier throughout this series.

Bujold's characters are always deep, especially the point-of-view character whose private thoughts we are privy to. In The Hallowed Hunt, that character is Ingrey, a nobleman who bears a wolf spirit and has been charged to transport the noblewoman Ijada to the capital, for she's been accused of killing the prince who tried to rape her. The prince was dabbling in some dark sorcery which affected Ijada, and together Ingrey and Ijada must unravel the mystery of the spirit animals. As they learn more and more, the magic get deeper, darker, and actually quite frightening.

The Hallowed Hunt is another excellent installment in the Chalion series. I'm not rating it as highly as the others, though, because I felt like the climax at the end wasn't quite as tight as the previous two books. Ingrey, the hero, ended up correctly guessing some of the solutions and Bujold threw in a bit of romantic fluff involving two beating half-hearts that made my eyes roll. But, all in all, it was a very good fantasy and I sincerely hope that Bujold will grace us with more Chalion stories in the future.

Read more Lois McMaster Bujold book reviews at Fantasy literature. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
A good and satisfying read with a major twist. However, if you've read Curse of Chalion or Paladin of Souls it doesn't offer much in the way that's new. ( )
  CBrachyrhynchos | Feb 4, 2014 |
I enjoyed this a lot more than Palladin of Souls. Some of it might be playing to the audience (I always love animal stories, so the idea of people carrying wolf spirits and horse spirits within themselves was always going to be appealing) but I found myself more drawn into the story and more sympathetic about the characters. There's a lot of larger than life fun in the charactors (a powerful pregnant woman, a giant polar bear) and also a lot of very well done things - the love story is convincing, but not the central point of the book, the bad guy is nuanced, and his reasons for doing what he is doing are carefully believable. The story snowballs in a very well balenced way - the original problem the hero encounters is interesting in its own right, but by the end it has grown to a mighty 'chosen sourceror must save thousands' while carrying us with it every step of the way.

On the other hand, it doesn't really tie up with the first two Charlion books (I didn't examine it carefully, but I would be hard pressed to tell you if it happened before or after them - it is just distant from) so I'm a little sad it doesn't take the story of Iselle's reign further. ( )
  atreic | Oct 1, 2013 |
In The Hallowed Hunt, Bujold continues to explore the theology of the world she created in The Curse of Chalion, this time focusing on what happens when people capture the souls of animals or even other people. The main character, Ingrey, is alternatingly enjoyable and frustrating. It's pleasurable to read about how he uses his sinister reputation to extract himself from delicate situations with just a sliver of intimidation. On the other hand, he never can seem to figure out who to trust, even though for most of the book it's obvious because of the way the characters are portrayed. Though we don't find out the antagonist's real motivation until the end, the reader is asked to make a moral judgment between the way things are and the the way things used to be that's far more ambiguous than in previous books. So, while the characterization wasn't quite as good, I did appreciate that not everything was so black and white. ( )
  Phrim | Jul 26, 2013 |
ereader ebook
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |

Lois McMaster Bujoldprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bowers, David MCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gavin, MargueriteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The prince was dead.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060574747, Mass Market Paperback)

A magnificent epic tale of devotion, possession, obsession, and strange destiny from the author of the Hugo Award-winning

Paladin of Souls

Lois McMaster Bujold

The half-mad Prince Boleso has been slain by a noblewoman he had intended to defile -- and Lord Ingrey kin Wilfcliff must transport the body to its burial place and the accused killer, the Lady Ijada, to judgment. With the death of the old Hallow King imminent and the crown in play, the road they must travel together is a dangerous one. And though he is duty-bound to deliver his prisoner to an almost certain death, Ijada may be the only one Ingrey dares trust. For a monstrous malevolence holds the haunted lord in its sway -- and a great and terrible destiny has been bestowed upon him by the gods, the damned, and the dead.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:32 -0400)

A forbidden spirit now inhabits the soul of Ijada, giving her senses she never wished for and an obligation no one sane would desire. At once psychically linked to the remarkable lady and repelled by what she carries within, Ingrey fears the havoc his own inner beast could wreak while on their journey, as he fights a powerful growing attraction, and an equally powerful compulsion to kill. The road they travel together is beset with dangers, and though duty bound to deliver Ijada to an almost certain execution, Ingrey soon realizes that she is the only one he dares trust. For a malevolent enemy with designs on a troubled kingdom holds Ingrey in his sway, and without Ijada's aid and love, the haunted lord will never be able to break free and realize the great and terrible destiny bestowed upon him by the gods, the damned, and the dead.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,414,497 books! | Top bar: Always visible