And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily) by Tasha…

And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily) (original 2005; edition 2006)

by Tasha Alexander

Member:majkia
Title:And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily)
Authors:Tasha Alexander
Info:William Morrow Paperbacks (2006), Paperback, 336 pages
Collections:Your library, Recently Read, Mystery
Rating:***1/2
Tags:ebook, period mystery, 13 in 13, ROOT, TIOLI, AlphaCAT

And Only to Deceive by Tasha Alexander (2005)

Silent in the Grave by Deanna Raybourn (francescadefreitas)
    francescadefreitas: Similar themes, set in a similar time period.
    Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Unconventional heroines rebel against Victorian mores to pursue their intellectual interests. The Elizabeth Peters novels are sillier (including prodding people with parasols) and is set against a backdrop of Egyptian archaeology. The Tasha Alexander mysteries are less openly subversive of Victorian morals, and And Only to Deceive draws on Homer's Iliad.… (more)
    A Beautiful Blue Death by Charles Finch (TheLibraryhag)
    The Cater Street Hangman by Anne Perry (ddelmoni)
    Consequences of Sin by Clare Langley-Hawthorne (nancyK18)
    nancyK18: In her debut book the author propvides readers with a Victorian mystery featuring a likeable character.

I enjoyed this one enough to buy the next two while they are marked down. I think the thing that kept me from liking it more was Emily herself. I sympathized with her in many ways, the reasons she got married, her freedom as a widow, her belated feelings and grief for her husband. But when it came to the actual "mystery" she feel a little short. It could be because she seemed like she was trying to be Amelia Peabody and fell short. For one thing, she was a pretty horrendous judge of character. But I liked the setup, Colin is certainly swoonworthy enough and I'm betting Emily will grow on me. ( )
  CCleveland | Nov 27, 2013 |
I received the ARC of the eighth book in this series and due to my compulsions which include having to eventually finish every book I have started I also have trouble starting a series without having read the previous installments. I forced my self through book eight but I knew I wanted to know more of Lady Emily's earlier adventures and this book does not disappoint.

Lady Emily comes upon her detective skills quite accidentally. After a brief courtship she marries Lord Ashton mainly to get away from her overbearing mother. Promptly after the marriage Emily's new husband travels to Africa for a hunting trip and dies of what is assumed to be an illness. Emily finds herself a widow before she even had a chance to know her husband. After Lord Ashton's death there is a lot on interest in his personal papers. As Emily attempts to discern the nature of this interest she begins to learn about her former husband and to her surprise he really loved her. He even had a romantic nickname for her that other people knew but to which she was oblivious. As Emily learns more about Lord Ashton she becomes more interested in finding out what he was up to in the days before his death. She is not the only one, his best friend Colin has made it a habit to start visiting Emily. Is he involved somehow in what was going on with Lord Ashton? Lady Emily's discoveries lead her to the British Museum and a world of forgeries as well as the fact that her husband's death may not have been as random as she first thought.

I found myself thoroughly enjoying the first installment of the Lady Emily mystery series. Probably the only thing I didn't like was the endless descriptions of all of the poor animals that Lord Ashton murdered. His pursuit of killing an elephant was so disturbing to me that I didn't find the idea that someone might have done in him distasteful at all. I guess killing was the fashion of the time which is why I am glad I live in the time of conservation. Aside from that I loved Lady Emily and her spunk. Fans of Downton Abbey and the cozy mystery will find themselves satisfied here and I look forward to Emily's next adventure and progression in her love life. ( )
  arielfl | Nov 19, 2013 |
Eh, not half as well written as Raybourn's novels. ( )
  Bookaliciouspam | Sep 20, 2013 |
I picked up this book years ago in a Walden's Bookstore, just thinking, "Hmm I like this cover, I'll give it a try." And I'm very glad that I did. Tasha Alexander has become one of my Favorite authors. Lady Emily Ashton is recently married in Victorian England, and wedded awkwardness is cut short when her husband has gone missing on a safari trip. It is only after he's missing, does Emily learn of his true amorous feelings for her. With the help of her husband's friend Colin, Emily goes on the hunt for her husband. Can she find him before it's too late? Read and find out. P.S. I love the ancient Greek in the book. As a classics major, I really appreciated the details. Good job! ( )
  philae_02 | Jul 13, 2013 |
This is an interesting first novel in a series I hadn’t heard of until my SantaThing partner selected this book for me and I’m really glad she did.

One of the things I really enjoyed was the idea of Emily getting to know her husband only after he’d been dead for 18 months, having married him to escape her mother, together with the growing realisation that the marriage she was creating in her head probably wouldn’t have existed. Emily is a strong, independent character who is resistance to the mores imposed on a woman by society and her mother, which sets up some nice little set pieces.

The outcome of the mystery – who is selling fakes to the British Museum – is fairly obvious from about halfway through the book, and the characters do start to conform to generic ideas of hero, villain etc., but this is, I hope a rookie mistake. As always with American writers writing about British characters there are anachronism which grate on this British reader. However these are minor quibbles as all in all this is good debut and I shall look out for other books in the series. ( )
1 vote riverwillow | Apr 13, 2013 |
On first looking into Chapman's Homer

Much have I travell'd in the realms of gold,
And many goodly states and kingdoms seen;
Round many western islands have I been
Which bards in fealty to Apollo hold.
Oft of one wide expanse had I been told
That deep-brow'd Homer ruled as his demesne;
Yet did I never breathe its pure serene
Till I heard Chapman speak out loud and bold:
Then felt I like some watcher of the skies
When a new planet swims into his ken;
Or like stout Cortez, when with eagle eyes
He star'd at the Pacific - and all his men
Look'd at each other with a wild surmise -
Silent, upon a peak in Darien.

- John Keats
FOR MATT
"my soul's far better part..."
Few people would look kindly on my reasons for marrying Philip; neither love nor money nor his title induced me to accept his proposal.

For Emily, accepting the proposal of Philip, the Viscount Ashton, was an easy way to escape her overbearing mother, who was set on a grand society match. So when Emily's dashing husband died on safari soon after their wedding, she felt little grief. After all, she barely knew him. Now, nearly two years later, she discovers that Philip was a far different man from the one she had married so cavalierly. His journals reveal him to have been a gentleman scholar and antiquities collector who, to her surprise, was deeply in love with his wife. Emily becomes fascinated with this new image of her dead husband and she immerses herself in all things ancient and begins to study Greek.

Emily's intellectual pursuits and her desire to learn more about Philip take her to the quiet corridors of the British Museum, one of her husband's favorite places. There, amid priceless ancient statues, she uncovers a dark, dangerous secret involving stolen artifacts from the Greco-Roman galleries. And to complicate matters, she's juggling two very prominent and wealthy suitors, one of whose intentions may go beyond the marrying kind. As she sets out to solve the crime, her search leads to more surprises about Philip and causes her to question the role in Victorian society to which she, as a woman, is relegated.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006114844X, Paperback)

From gifted new writer Tasha Alexander comes a stunning novel of historical suspense set in Victorian England, meticulously researched and with a twisty plot that involves stolen antiquities, betrayal, and murder

And Only to Deceive

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:42 -0400)

Accepting a dashing viscount's marriage proposal as part of a plan to escape her overbearing mother, Emily finds herself widowed early after her marriage and subsequently learns that her husband was not who he professed to be, a discovery that prompts an investigation in the quiet corridors of the British Museum.… (more)

Tasha Alexander is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,241,174 books! | Top bar: Always visible