Between war and peace by Victor Davis Hanson

Between war and peace (2004)

by Victor Davis Hanson

Timely and astute observations from one of the most eminent ancient historians of our day. Hanson is able to be rooted in both common sense and logic, as well as marshaling the historic facts to bolster his observations.

Don Rumsfield, A Radical for Our Time (p. 219), assesses one of the most important military administrators we have ever had in our history. Love him, or hate him, his stamp on the military will remain for some time.
  gmicksmith | Mar 30, 2013 |
For Cara and Pauli
The present volume is a sequel of sorts to An Autumn of War, a collection of essays I wrote about the war against terror, arranged in chronological order from the al Qaeda attacks on September 11 to the defeat of the Taliban in Afghanistan and subsequent events until January 2002.

In his acclaimed collection An Autumn of War, the scholar and military historian Victor Davis Hanson expressed powerful and provocative views of September 11 and the ensuing war in Afghanistan. Now, in these challenging new essays, he examines the world’s ongoing war on terrorism, from America to Iraq, from Europe to Israel, and beyond.

In direct language, Hanson portrays an America making progress against Islamic fundamentalism but hampered by the self-hatred of elite academics at home and the cynical self-interest of allies abroad. He sees a new and urgent struggle of evil against good, one that can fail only if “we convince ourselves that our enemies fight because of something we, rather than they, did.”

Whether it’s a clear-cut defense of Israel as a secular democracy, a denunciation of how the U.N. undermines the U.S., a plea to drastically alter our alliance with Saudi Arabia, or a perception that postwar Iraq is reaching a dangerous tipping point, Hanson’s arguments have the shock of candor and the fire of conviction.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:45 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,390,804 books! | Top bar: Always visible