A Murderous Glaze by Melissa Glazer

Carolyn Emerson is a potter whose studio, Fire at Will, was the scene of the discovery of dead body, someone she didn't particularly like, so, of course, she's a suspect in the murder. A dead body also doesn't help business, so Carolyn needs to get the murder solved ASAP but the sheriff in the little town of Maple Ridge VT is not one of her greatest fans and seems to be dragging his feet. Enlisting the help of the Firing Squad - amateur potters who use her kiln- Carolyn sets out to find the killer herself.

There were some fun characters in this starter for the Clay and Crime Mystery series and I'm looking forward to getting to know them better. ( )
  cyderry | May 19, 2014 |
This was a fast and fun read. Carolyn runs a small pottery store where she both sells finished pottery and teaches others how to throw pots, glaze them and paint them.

When a woman that she wasn't particularly fond of is found dead in her store she soon finds her business falling into the basement. With a police chief who thinks she is the only viable killer, Carolyn rallies her friends around her and sets out to find the real killer.

Lots of interesting pottery tips and hints and a mystery with enough potential murderers to keep me guessing. I'll be reading the next in the series. ( )
  bookswoman | Mar 31, 2013 |
Carolyn Emerson owns a pottery shop in a small Vermont town. When the body of Betty Winkler is found in her shop, she becomes the chief suspect. She decides she must investigate since the sheriff doesn't seem to be looking at other options so she uncovers a list of persons with motives and opportunity, including the sheriff. Not the best cozy mystery, but not the worst either. I never really connected with the main character and felt several other characters were not as developed as they could have been. I doubt I will continue reading this series. ( )
  thornton37814 | Jan 9, 2012 |
I enjoyed the book. It is the first of the series and I will be looking for the other books. The description of the pottery shop and how to make and glaze pots added to the fun of reading the book.

However SPOILER ALERT---SPOILER ALERT---it drove me nuts about a couple of things (1) why didn't anyone look for finger prints on the brick that was thrown? At least Caroline should have been upset that the sheriff did not check, (2) With an awl being the murder weapon, why wasn't there a discussion about the level of medical knowledge a person needs in order for such a weapon to be effective, and (3) Why didn't Caroline-or the Sheriff for that matter---go around and compare the suspects' handwriting to the note fragments Caroline and David found? ( )
  Alice_Wonder | Jun 24, 2011 |
Passed the time on a rainy day. ( )
  JaneDickerson | Apr 9, 2010 |
To my editor, Sandy Harding. With much thanks!
My name is Carolyn Emerson, and I should probably admit up front that I didn't care for Betty Wickline, not from the first second she stepped into Fire at Will, my paint-your-own-pottery shop.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425218368, Mass Market Paperback)

A new series takes shape-the debut of the Clay and Crime mysteries.

Includes directions for a pottery project!

In Maple Ridge, Vermont, Carolyn Emerson planned to ease into her golden years running her paint-your-own-pottery shop, Fire at Will. She never expected to uncover a dead body in the shop, and she certainly didn't plan on a drop in live clientele.

Now it's up to Carolyn and her shop's pottery club, The Firing Squad, to help clear her name. But can she find a killer and more customers without her own brush with death?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:07 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,994,917 books! | Top bar: Always visible