Out of the Frying Pan: A Chef's Memoir of…

Out of the Frying Pan: A Chef's Memoir of Hot Kitchens, Single Motherhood,…

by Gillian Clark

I enjoyed Chef Gillian's memoir. It's an eye-opening account of becoming successful in the food business while trying to balance a personal life with the seemingly never-ending hours of restaurant work. I liked to hear about her personal philosophy and how she coped with caring for her kids too. The recipes were interesting but maybe only 1 or 2 I might try. However, if I'm ever in DC I might try to eat at the Colorado Kitchen. ( )
  cee2 | Jul 6, 2009 |
Although Clark's dedication and accomplishments are inspiring, her memoir comes across as preachy and repetitive. I found myself skimming large passages, hoping for something more. I enjoyed looking at the recipes at the end of each chapter, although I didn't attempt to make any. I wanted more or something different from this memoir, and really just couldn't wait for it to be over. ( )
  bookstar | Nov 23, 2007 |

Out of the Frying Pan is an empowering memoir that traces Gillian Clark’s rise from a beginner to a top chef. But managing a kitchen also taught her about parenting. With a wealth of experience and wisdom, and a healthy dash of humor, Gillian now shares her life’s recipes, from the solutions she cooked up for parenting challenges to her favorite culinary creations.

In the prime of her life, Gillian Clark abandoned the corporate world to pursue her passion---making mouthwatering food with fresh, homegrown ingredients.  When she became a single parent with two young daughters, though, Gillian had to reconsider her dreams. Moving to the country and running a small, artisanal farm were put on the back burner---supporting her family had to come first.

But Gillian’s drive to make delicious food was relentless. She finished her culinary degree, survived the tedious prep work of her first cooking job and the difficulty of training during the day and raising two girls at night, and confronted the challenges of working her way up from the bottom in a profession where only the strongest survive.

Beating intense odds, Gillian is now head chef and proprietor of the successful and popular Colorado Kitchen, which is ranked among the top 100 restaurants in Washington, D.C. This puts her simple café in the company of the city’s finest dining establishments.

Touching and joyful, Out of the Frying Pan rivals any parenting book and is also chock-full of more than forty delicious recipes, from her first “soup of the day” to her family’s Sunday brunch waffles---even the pink medicine placebo she whipped up for one of her daughters.

Her inspirational advice on how she raised her daughters while never giving up her dream is a gem for  parents and foodies alike and will fit at just about any table.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:42 -0400)

Describes how the author's goal to attend culinary school and live on a farm was shattered by divorce, relating how she pursued her career goals from the bottom up while raising her daughters, in a personal account peppered with recipes.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,445,749 books! | Top bar: Always visible