Journey to the Centre of the Earth by Jules…

Journey to the Centre of the Earth (1864)

by Jules Verne

Series: Les voyages extraordinaires (book 3)

Recently added byprivate library, useyourillusion, Autres, boniface, kpevjen, HeathDAlberts, lsemensk, waelrammo
Legacy LibrariesArthur Ransome, Carl Sandburg

English (87)  French (2)  Portuguese (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (94)
If you like old timey science fiction this is for you. It's full of fantastical scientific explanations to getting to the center of the earth and I enjoyed reading it. Worth it. ( )
  Rosenstern | Sep 14, 2014 |
This had an incredible impact on me when as a young teen I read it the first time. The descriptions of quartz and minerals and subterranean canyons spurred me on to study geology, fossils and a whole slew of sciences. Still a great read. ( )
  JVioland | Jul 14, 2014 |
This book is to me the ultimate of the Science Fiction genre. You take an event that's impossible--say, traveling to the center of the Earth, and then add a bunch of scientific terms to it and make the reader think it might be possible. The addition of a character who he (typically he, sometimes she) doubts the possibility of completing the task is a nice one--he is there so the audiance will not feel too bad in their disbelief of what is happening in the book.

This was my first book by Jules Verne, and it was pretty much what I expected (what you would find in any science fiction novel?). But what I need to remind myself of, is that this book was written a lonnnnnggggg time ago, and I'm sure at the time, I could see how this book would be a huge hit.

csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
Perhaps the best part of this well known work is the basic premise, which is compelling. That said, I was somewhat disappointed with the actual story telling. Given the book's age, it is no surprise that Verne's understanding of the most basic scientific processes was lacking. More importantly, the actual story itself was overly simplistic. At times I felt I was reading a children's novel.

A must read given its classic status, however do not expect any sophistication. ( )
  la2bkk | Jun 27, 2014 |

Is contained in

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Looking back to all that has occurred to me since that eventful day, I am scarcely able to believe in the reality of my adventures.
Large though it is, that asylum is not big enough to contain all Professor Lidenbrock's madness.
This is the main work for A Journey to the Centre of the Earth by Jules Verne. Please do not combine with any adaptation, abridgement, etc.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553213970, Mass Market Paperback)

Written almost a century before the daring flights of the astronauts, Jules Verne’s prophetic novel of man’s race to the stars is a classic adventure tale enlivened by broad satire and scientific acumen.

When the members of the elite Baltimore Gun Club find themselves lacking any urgent assignments at the close of the Civil War, their president, Impey Barbicane, proposes that they build a gun big enough to launch a rocket to the moon. But when Barbicane’s adversary places a huge wager that the project will fail and a daring volunteer elevates the mission to a “manned” flight, one man’s dream turns into an international space race.

A story of rip-roaring action, humor, and wild imagination, From the Earth to the Moon is as uncanny in its accuracy and as filled with authentic detail and startling immediacy as Verne’s timeless masterpieces 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and Around the World in Eighty Days.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:42 -0400)

What a stunning discovery: an old, coded note that actually contains directions for reaching the Earth's very core! And once he finds it, renowned geologist Professor Liedenbrock can't resist setting out with his 16-year-old nephew to go where only one man has gone before. Jules Verne takes young readers on one of the most incredible journeys ever imagined, from Iceland's frozen tundra far down into fantastic underground prehistoric worlds and back up again through the fires of an erupting volcano.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141321040, 0141441976, 0451532155

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,728,278 books! | Top bar: Always visible