Journey to the Centre of the Earth by Jules…

Journey to the Centre of the Earth (1864)

by Jules Verne

Series: Les voyages extraordinaires (book 3)

English (93)  French (2)  Portuguese (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (100)
A little is lost in translation and it's a bit dated. However this is still an entertaining story of a great adventure undertaken by two German geologists and their Icelandic guide. You just need to ignore certain scientific advances since it was written and make allowances for some attitudes of the time. ( )
  nebula21 | Feb 18, 2015 |
I really didn't enjoy Jules Verne's "Journey to the Center of the Earth." As you'd expect, there was lots of adventuring through dark caves until the big "payoff" at the end, which wasn't terribly exciting. Verne's narrator is constantly saying how they are all going to die on this journey, but it's clear he's writing the book after the journey, so you know right off they don't.

This reminded me a lot of H.P. Lovecraft's "At the Mountains of Madness" in that there is a lot of description that gets tedious and then the ultimate conclusion doesn't really make everything worthwhile.

Perhaps this just hasn't aged well. ( )
  amerynth | Jan 11, 2015 |
There's not too much to say about the plot here; it's pretty much all in the title. As our intrepid narrator reminds us at one point: "Remember that I am writing this *after* the journey." A young man (Axel or Harry depending on your translation) embarks on a journey into the earth at the insistence of his uncle Professor Lidenbrock (or Hardwigg) after they decode a message about the same journey being undertaken by an Icelander centuries before.

This isn't really great writing, but the point is the adventure and the early days of science fiction, of course. There's a lot of geology and paleontology mixed in with the story, imparted in form of conversations between the nephew and the uncle, or lectures by the uncle. The Professor comes across as an extra-obnoxious, lecture-y and impatient Sherlock Holmes; he's kind of a funny character, even as you want to slap him sometimes. Darkness, the risk of getting lost forever under the earth's surface, beasties and strange natural phenomena all threaten our intrepid heroes, but obviously they make it out all right.

Much like with other adventure stories from years gone by, the escapades hold up but the science and worldviews don't. Definitely worth reading for what it is, but not a life-changing experience.

Recommended for: fans of monster movies, geologists.

Quote: "In this manner, in early days, were formed those vast and prodigious layers of coal, which an ever-increasing consumption must utterly use up in about three centuries more, if people do not find some more economic light than gas, and some cheaper motive power than steam." ( )
  ursula | Jan 6, 2015 |
Time has not been gentle to this classic. ( )
  SimonLarsen | Dec 29, 2014 |
I first read Journey to the Centre of the Earth when I was 8. My local supermarket sold pocket editions of classics at pocket money prices. I loved this one. It was incredibly exciting and nerve tingling. 35 years later, I decided to read it again. My pocket money pocket edition is long gone, so I got a copy for my Kindle from Project Gutenberg. It is as good as I remembered. Fast paced and funny, if a little implausible at times (I can take ichthyosaurs and plesiosaurs living in a subterranean sea, not sure about the ability to acclimatise to differing air pressures as you travel towards the earth's core on foot, though), it is deserving of its classic status.

I discovered that my childhood version and the one I downloaded are an abridged translation with the names of the main characters changed, so I've downloaded another version from PG, which is supposed to be more accurate. To read another day, though! ( )
  missizicks | Oct 6, 2014 |

Is contained in

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Looking back to all that has occurred to me since that eventful day, I am scarcely able to believe in the reality of my adventures.
Large though it is, that asylum is not big enough to contain all Professor Lidenbrock's madness.
This is the main work for A Journey to the Centre of the Earth by Jules Verne. Please do not combine with any adaptation, abridgement, etc.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553213970, Mass Market Paperback)

Written almost a century before the daring flights of the astronauts, Jules Verne’s prophetic novel of man’s race to the stars is a classic adventure tale enlivened by broad satire and scientific acumen.

When the members of the elite Baltimore Gun Club find themselves lacking any urgent assignments at the close of the Civil War, their president, Impey Barbicane, proposes that they build a gun big enough to launch a rocket to the moon. But when Barbicane’s adversary places a huge wager that the project will fail and a daring volunteer elevates the mission to a “manned” flight, one man’s dream turns into an international space race.

A story of rip-roaring action, humor, and wild imagination, From the Earth to the Moon is as uncanny in its accuracy and as filled with authentic detail and startling immediacy as Verne’s timeless masterpieces 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and Around the World in Eighty Days.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:42 -0400)

What a stunning discovery: an old, coded note that actually contains directions for reaching the Earth's very core! And once he finds it, renowned geologist Professor Liedenbrock can't resist setting out with his 16-year-old nephew to go where only one man has gone before. Jules Verne takes young readers on one of the most incredible journeys ever imagined, from Iceland's frozen tundra far down into fantastic underground prehistoric worlds and back up again through the fires of an erupting volcano.… (more)

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141321040, 0141441976, 0451532155

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909175145, 1907832785

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,768,742 books! | Top bar: Always visible