Journey to the Center of the Earth (Dover…

Journey to the Center of the Earth (Dover Thrift Editions) (original 1864; edition 2005)

by Jules Verne

7,033None509 (3.73)265
Member:JGolomb
Title:Journey to the Center of the Earth (Dover Thrift Editions)
Authors:Jules Verne
Info:Dover Publications (2005), Paperback, 160 pages
Rating:***
Tags:classic, science fiction, scifi, adventure, literature, exploration

Journey to the Centre of the Earth by Jules Verne (1864)

1001 (31) 1001 books (42) 19th century (127) adventure (313) children's (29) classic (320) Classic Literature (39) classics (276) ebook (73) exploration (41) fantasy (162) fiction (737) French (100) French literature (111) geology (42) Iceland (47) Kindle (46) literature (141) novel (127) own (31) paperback (35) read (68) science fiction (951) sf (109) sff (37) steampunk (28) to-read (79) translation (30) unread (60) Verne (110)

English (82)  French (2)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (88)
Through most of the novel, I was intrigued by Verne's descriptions and scientific explanations of the time period. Overall, it was an interesting story, but I was underwhelmed by the resolution and after finishing it, the whole thing seemed pretty anticlimactic. I think one has to go into reading a Verne novel with the expectations of fascinating and outdated science instead of focusing too much on the plot to really enjoy it. ( )
  CareBear36 | Mar 8, 2014 |
• Student name: Mariana Orrego
• Group: 10B
• Date: 02/03/2014
• Book Title: Journey to the Center of the Earth
• Author: Jules Verne
• Copyright Date: 2005
• Number of pages: 160

Personally, I really enjoyed this book. This is the type of story that completely grabs your attention from the first page. I love all the adventures, all the prehistoric animals and plants that they find. This is a classic science fiction novel and if you like fantasy I recommend you read it.

I like the advanced vocabulary used, it makes the reading a bit more challenging. I usually prefer when book have more characters, but in this case I thought it was interesting having only three main characters. For me it was a bit ironic all the characters survived, since my expectation was that only Proffesor Otto was the only one that would live, Axel and the guide would die when one of the dangerous animals attacked them.

The characters in this book are round, because they have many traits as well as faults. They are also dynamic characters since they change and learn many things from this trip. What I mostly enjoyed of the book was that I felt I was inside the book living all the experiences with the characters and in some parts I felt this could of really have happened, when the author describes the setting so well and talks about all these scientific theories.

I would of liked that they had taken lots of pictures inside and had taken a really big treasure. I think it would have been cool if they had found someone that had been trapped inside and they had to help him out too.

New Words

Now as I had a strong conviction that the Runic alphabet and dialect were simply an invention to mystify poor human nature.
mystify: to involve in mystery or obscurity.
P.O.S: Verb
pg. 10

Scarcely giving me time to finish, my uncle snatched the document from my hands.
scarcely:barely; hardly; not quite
P.O.S:adverb
pg. 21

My uncle came out of his cabin pale, haggard, thin, but full of enthusiasm.
haggard:wild; wild-looking
pg. 67

Accustomed as I had been to the steam ferry boats of the Elbe, I found the long oars of the boatmen but sorry means of locomotion.
accustomed:habituated; acclimated
pg. 83

Did you ever pass a more tranquil night in our house in the Konigstrasse?
tranquil :free from or unaffected by disturbing emotions
pg. 158 ( )
  MarianaOrrego | Mar 2, 2014 |
Very impressed. Had I read this book and not known when it was written I could imagine that it had been written in the past 60 years. Easy story to read and completely enjoyable. I was hooked at an early stage of the book. ( )
  gopfolk | Nov 26, 2013 |
Jules Verne’s book about Professor Lidenbrock and his nephew Axel’s trip to Iceland to discover whether there is a way through a crater to the center of the earth. Professor Lidenbrock represents the theory that the center of the earth is not hot and Axel represents those that professed the belief that the center of the earth would be molten hot. Verne wrote adventure stories and as such, Journey to the Centre is one of his adventure story. The science fiction part examines the theory and also the geological discoveries of the earth. This short story has been translated many times and the original translation was not the best translation. Thanks to this information being shared before I started reading, I searched on-line and found this pdf file of Butcher’s translation. http://www.ibiblio.org/julesverne/books/jce revd edn.pdf It included an introduction, foot notes and summary statements. Jules Verne is an enjoyable author. The book was started in 1864 and I think there were some rewrites according to this edition. ( )
  Kristelh | Nov 16, 2013 |

Is contained in

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Looking back to all that has occurred to me since that eventful day, I am scarcely able to believe in the reality of my adventures.
Large though it is, that asylum is not big enough to contain all Professor Lidenbrock's madness.
This is the main work for A Journey to the Centre of the Earth by Jules Verne. Please do not combine with any adaptation, abridgement, etc.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553213970, Mass Market Paperback)

Written almost a century before the daring flights of the astronauts, Jules Verne’s prophetic novel of man’s race to the stars is a classic adventure tale enlivened by broad satire and scientific acumen.

When the members of the elite Baltimore Gun Club find themselves lacking any urgent assignments at the close of the Civil War, their president, Impey Barbicane, proposes that they build a gun big enough to launch a rocket to the moon. But when Barbicane’s adversary places a huge wager that the project will fail and a daring volunteer elevates the mission to a “manned” flight, one man’s dream turns into an international space race.

A story of rip-roaring action, humor, and wild imagination, From the Earth to the Moon is as uncanny in its accuracy and as filled with authentic detail and startling immediacy as Verne’s timeless masterpieces 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and Around the World in Eighty Days.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:42 -0400)

What a stunning discovery: an old, coded note that actually contains directions for reaching the Earth's very core! And once he finds it, renowned geologist Professor Liedenbrock can't resist setting out with his 16-year-old nephew to go where only one man has gone before. Jules Verne takes young readers on one of the most incredible journeys ever imagined, from Iceland's frozen tundra far down into fantastic underground prehistoric worlds and back up again through the fires of an erupting volcano.… (more)

Eigthteen editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Three editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141321040, 0141441976, 0451532155

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,493,031 books! | Top bar: Always visible