Journey to the Center of the Earth (Dover…

Journey to the Center of the Earth (Dover Thrift Editions) (original 1864; edition 2005)

by Jules Verne

Title:Journey to the Center of the Earth (Dover Thrift Editions)
Authors:Jules Verne
Info:Dover Publications (2005), Paperback, 160 pages
Tags:classic, science fiction, scifi, adventure, literature, exploration

Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne (1864)

English (98)  French (2)  Portuguese (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (105)
I was a bit surprised how much my expectations with this book were colored by the 1959 movie based off of it, I was surprised because I knew going in they weren't really the same but I still found myself missing the whimsy of the movie, which made the book seem a bit drab in comparison.

I found the characters a bit flat, not quite believable by today standards, I never really bought them as real people or believed in their motivations and I found the ending a bit rushed and convenient, though I'm not sure how else it could have ended.

That said, I enjoyed this more than I thought I would and it was a much faster read then I had expected and was an interesting adventure story. It was also a fascinating look back at the early days of Earth science, of science as we know it in general, and its easy to forget just how much we had to learn. ( )
  Kellswitch | Oct 17, 2015 |
@journey_center +around_word ( )
  Lorem | Sep 28, 2015 |
Tonight is the Manly Book Club, a neighborhood book club I started for an excuse to hangout and talk ideas with the guys in my neck of the woods. We're talking about Jules Verne's "Journey to the Center of the Earth." While it's not the most interesting book we've read, reading it has certainly been an interesting look through a keyhole at how the world, and fiction, has changed over the last one hundred and fifty years.

Published in 1864, it's the third of fifty-four (!) in Verne's series of "extraordinary voyages," which includes "Around the World in Eighty Days" and "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea." Today's reader might find it slow, arduous, and painfully melodramatic at points...which, to be honest, is probably how the journey was. Since, writing styles have changed, but this was the 1860s, and Verne was at that time the apex of scifi.

Slow and arduous though the Journey seems sometimes (it takes half of the book just to get to the volcano down into the Earth), it's still a creative and enjoyable foray of imagination and speculative science. Verne does make stuff up, but his characters weld math and science (as understood then) as much as they do the ropes and lamps they carry on their subterranean adventure. It's an interesting contrast to a lot of today's novels, weighted as much towards social justice as the fantastic, if not more, and not one that suffers in the contrast.

(It does seem odd that the main character is affianced to his cousin, though...what's with that?) ( )
  publiusdb | Sep 23, 2015 |
I remember being a slightly better fan of this book when I was younger and I don't know if it was since I read an edition that was geared toward for juvenile crowds or if there was another reason behind it (maybe since I was actually caught up in the adventure for the first time). Unfortunately my second reading of this book ended up driving me up the wall.

Unlike "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" the book is more of a heavier scientific bent and so it runs extremely slow to one who may not be into the bland tone. Furthermore there are spells where it seems the reading just drones on and on then a flash of adventure that is combined with little used words so a dictionary is quite handy.

The character development is for the most part quite deep although more is given to the two main protagonists of the book. Hans would have been a much better character to have developed but since the narrator never quite understood him or tried to see what was going on he is left out of the picture besides as the one that is always there as quiet, strong, resourceful and saving them from danger more than can be counted.

The story is definitely an adventure story while it will allow you to escape. Most definitely not like the movies (none of which I have seen) since movies require more action so don't come in judging from a film. Instead just sit back and enjoy the book for the way that it was written. ( )
  flamingrosedrakon | Sep 12, 2015 |
Jules Verne; 1828-1905 Novelista francés, padre de la novela científica, nacido en Nantes y fallecido en Amiens. Aunque estudió derecho en París, sentía poco apego por la abogacía y mucho, en cambio, por las letras. Fue precursor de la ciencia ficción y de la moderna novela de aventuras. Fue un estudioso de la ciencia yl a tecnología de la época, lo que, unido a su gran imaginación y a su capacidad de anticipación lógica, le permitió adelantarse a su tiempo
  gabiladino | Sep 3, 2015 |

Is contained in

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Looking back to all that has occurred to me since that eventful day, I am scarcely able to believe in the reality of my adventures.
Large though it is, that asylum is not big enough to contain all Professor Lidenbrock's madness.
This is the main work for A Journey to the Centre of the Earth by Jules Verne. Please do not combine with any adaptation, abridgement, etc.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553213970, Mass Market Paperback)

Written almost a century before the daring flights of the astronauts, Jules Verne’s prophetic novel of man’s race to the stars is a classic adventure tale enlivened by broad satire and scientific acumen.

When the members of the elite Baltimore Gun Club find themselves lacking any urgent assignments at the close of the Civil War, their president, Impey Barbicane, proposes that they build a gun big enough to launch a rocket to the moon. But when Barbicane’s adversary places a huge wager that the project will fail and a daring volunteer elevates the mission to a “manned” flight, one man’s dream turns into an international space race.

A story of rip-roaring action, humor, and wild imagination, From the Earth to the Moon is as uncanny in its accuracy and as filled with authentic detail and startling immediacy as Verne’s timeless masterpieces 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and Around the World in Eighty Days.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:16 -0400)

What a stunning discovery: an old, coded note that actually contains directions for reaching the Earth's very core! And once he finds it, renowned geologist Professor Liedenbrock can't resist setting out with his 16-year-old nephew to go where only one man has gone before. Jules Verne takes young readers on one of the most incredible journeys ever imagined, from Iceland's frozen tundra far down into fantastic underground prehistoric worlds and back up again through the fires of an erupting volcano.… (more)

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141321040, 0141441976, 0451532155

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909175145, 1907832785

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,852,790 books! | Top bar: Always visible