Journey to the Center of the Earth (Dover…

Journey to the Center of the Earth (Dover Thrift Editions) (original 1864; edition 2005)

by Jules Verne

7,977120408 (3.72)351
Member:JGolomb
Title:Journey to the Center of the Earth (Dover Thrift Editions)
Authors:Jules Verne
Info:Dover Publications (2005), Paperback, 160 pages
Rating:***
Tags:classic, science fiction, scifi, adventure, literature, exploration

Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne (1864)

English (112)  Dutch (2)  French (2)  Portuguese (1)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (120)
I listened to this as an audiobook, which I have been finding the most effective way of making my way through the classics. It was a fun adventure story, a little goofy--I can see why it would appeal to younger readers. I certainly had to curtail my skepticism; for example, how did three men port all the food and lamp oil they needed for several months themselves? For me, the first-person protagonist's voice made all the difference. Harry (as he was called in the audio version) was not really a natural-born explorer; he preferred decent meals and a soft bed, and he was given to panic attacks and fits of hyperbole. I liked him. Jack Sondericker, the narrator, was excellent. He brought a lot of expression to his reading and gave all the characters terrific accents. ( )
  sturlington | Apr 28, 2016 |
read the book, not yet seen the film(s)
  frahealee | Apr 3, 2016 |
I did enjoy this book for the most part, found it an easy read and easy to finish. The ending seemed pretty rushed and left me wanting a bit more. Even so, it's not a book I'd heartily recommend to others and not one I'd have on my "keeper" shelf.

I loved the descriptive writing. Verne was describing things we have presumably never seen before, yet it was not difficult to have a clear and vibrant image in my mind as I read. ( )
  MahanaU | Feb 26, 2016 |
All and all it's an interesting work, but I had some problems reading it, everytime I tried to read it was like taking sleeping pills. Eventually I finished reading it, and all I can say is that I wouldn't read the book again anytime soon. ( )
  Glaucialm | Feb 18, 2016 |
3 1/2 stars. It's still fascinating after all these years. The concept of a world deep beneath the earth is crazy, but fun to imagine. ( )
  Oodles | Feb 16, 2016 |

Is contained in

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Looking back to all that has occurred to me since that eventful day, I am scarcely able to believe in the reality of my adventures.
Large though it is, that asylum is not big enough to contain all Professor Lidenbrock's madness.
This is the main work for A Journey to the Centre of the Earth by Jules Verne. Please do not combine with any adaptation, abridgement, etc.

This book is in public domain in the USA and the e-book is available free online ...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553213970, Mass Market Paperback)

Written almost a century before the daring flights of the astronauts, Jules Verne’s prophetic novel of man’s race to the stars is a classic adventure tale enlivened by broad satire and scientific acumen.

When the members of the elite Baltimore Gun Club find themselves lacking any urgent assignments at the close of the Civil War, their president, Impey Barbicane, proposes that they build a gun big enough to launch a rocket to the moon. But when Barbicane’s adversary places a huge wager that the project will fail and a daring volunteer elevates the mission to a “manned” flight, one man’s dream turns into an international space race.

A story of rip-roaring action, humor, and wild imagination, From the Earth to the Moon is as uncanny in its accuracy and as filled with authentic detail and startling immediacy as Verne’s timeless masterpieces 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and Around the World in Eighty Days.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:16 -0400)

What a stunning discovery: an old, coded note that actually contains directions for reaching the Earth's very core! And once he finds it, renowned geologist Professor Liedenbrock can't resist setting out with his 16-year-old nephew to go where only one man has gone before. Jules Verne takes young readers on one of the most incredible journeys ever imagined, from Iceland's frozen tundra far down into fantastic underground prehistoric worlds and back up again through the fires of an erupting volcano.… (more)

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141321040, 0141441976, 0451532155

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909175145, 1907832785

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,961 books! | Top bar: Always visible