Journey to the Center of the Earth (Dover…

Journey to the Center of the Earth (Dover Thrift Editions) (original 1864; edition 2005)

by Jules Verne

Member:JGolomb
Title:Journey to the Center of the Earth (Dover Thrift Editions)
Authors:Jules Verne
Info:Dover Publications (2005), Paperback, 160 pages
Rating:***
Tags:classic, science fiction, scifi, adventure, literature, exploration

Journey to the Centre of the Earth by Jules Verne (1864)

English (89)  French (2)  Portuguese (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (96)
I first read Journey to the Centre of the Earth when I was 8. My local supermarket sold pocket editions of classics at pocket money prices. I loved this one. It was incredibly exciting and nerve tingling. 35 years later, I decided to read it again. My pocket money pocket edition is long gone, so I got a copy for my Kindle from Project Gutenberg. It is as good as I remembered. Fast paced and funny, if a little implausible at times (I can take ichthyosaurs and plesiosaurs living in a subterranean sea, not sure about the ability to acclimatise to differing air pressures as you travel towards the earth's core on foot, though), it is deserving of its classic status.

I discovered that my childhood version and the one I downloaded are an abridged translation with the names of the main characters changed, so I've downloaded another version from PG, which is supposed to be more accurate. To read another day, though! ( )
  missizicks | Oct 6, 2014 |
Notes on this edition:
Introduction was a little below average, translation OK, notes were OK, end material a little above average. Overall - a 3

This is quintessential Verne. Unlike some of his other novels, however, the science in this one has not borne fruit and has proven to be largely wrong. This makes it a little more of a fantasy, but it has certainly inspired countless stories of men encountering prehistoric creatures. So, have fun reading it as another amazing journey. The book gets a 4, so the overall is 3 1/2. ( )
  Bill.Bradford | Sep 27, 2014 |
A great adventure story and tale of discovery. Axel and his uncle, the Professor, set out for the centre of the earth via an Icelandic volcano, with the help of their intrepid and unflappable porter. A human drama about Axel's overcoming of his fears and facing up to many uncertainties. His cool, sceptical and questioning attitude is contrasted with his uncle's impatience and immense self-confidence. The exchanges between Axel and his uncle keep the drama going, as well as their amazing journey with all its dangers. Also has its funny comic moments! Is the centre of the earth a boiling furnace or not? is just one of the scientific questions which inform the narrative with intelligence and curiosity. A true original of science fiction, and definitely worth re-reading. ( )
  Giraldus_Papyrus | Sep 22, 2014 |
If you like old timey science fiction this is for you. It's full of fantastical scientific explanations to getting to the center of the earth and I enjoyed reading it. Worth it. ( )
  Rosenstern | Sep 14, 2014 |
This had an incredible impact on me when as a young teen I read it the first time. The descriptions of quartz and minerals and subterranean canyons spurred me on to study geology, fossils and a whole slew of sciences. Still a great read. ( )
  JVioland | Jul 14, 2014 |

Is contained in

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Looking back to all that has occurred to me since that eventful day, I am scarcely able to believe in the reality of my adventures.
Large though it is, that asylum is not big enough to contain all Professor Lidenbrock's madness.
This is the main work for A Journey to the Centre of the Earth by Jules Verne. Please do not combine with any adaptation, abridgement, etc.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553213970, Mass Market Paperback)

Written almost a century before the daring flights of the astronauts, Jules Verne’s prophetic novel of man’s race to the stars is a classic adventure tale enlivened by broad satire and scientific acumen.

When the members of the elite Baltimore Gun Club find themselves lacking any urgent assignments at the close of the Civil War, their president, Impey Barbicane, proposes that they build a gun big enough to launch a rocket to the moon. But when Barbicane’s adversary places a huge wager that the project will fail and a daring volunteer elevates the mission to a “manned” flight, one man’s dream turns into an international space race.

A story of rip-roaring action, humor, and wild imagination, From the Earth to the Moon is as uncanny in its accuracy and as filled with authentic detail and startling immediacy as Verne’s timeless masterpieces 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and Around the World in Eighty Days.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:42 -0400)

What a stunning discovery: an old, coded note that actually contains directions for reaching the Earth's very core! And once he finds it, renowned geologist Professor Liedenbrock can't resist setting out with his 16-year-old nephew to go where only one man has gone before. Jules Verne takes young readers on one of the most incredible journeys ever imagined, from Iceland's frozen tundra far down into fantastic underground prehistoric worlds and back up again through the fires of an erupting volcano.… (more)

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141321040, 0141441976, 0451532155

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,342,582 books! | Top bar: Always visible