Journey to the Center of the Earth: A…

Journey to the Center of the Earth: A Signature Performance by Tim Curry (1864)

by Jules Verne

Member:Mz.Balma
Title:Journey to the Center of the Earth: A Signature Performance by Tim Curry
Authors:Jules Verne
Info:
Tags:Novels/Novellas, Fantasy/Science Fiction, Children's/YA Literature, Audiobooks

Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne (1864)

English (118)  French (2)  Dutch (2)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  All languages (127)
Actually I read it decades ago but did re read it to brush up on certain parts. ( )
  ShelleyAlberta | Jun 4, 2016 |
Book Description

My Review
  EadieB | Jun 1, 2016 |
What a wonderful thing an imagination is. In Journey to the Center of the Earth we get to appreciate the imagination of Jules Verne in his 1864 novel that follows Professor Otto Lidenbrock, his nephew Axel, and their guide Hans down a volcanic tube in Iceland in a quest to reach the center of the earth.

A little dated and somewhat silly at times, this was still a fun and exciting read that had this group of adventurers encountering many dangers, including prehistoric animals before they discovered themselves back on the surface of the earth. Although many of the scientific “facts” that were used in this book have since been disproved, the author’s vision and his writing style make this book a classic of nineteenth century literature.

I read this book in instalment form through Daily Lit and as much as I thoroughly enjoyed my trip to this subterranean world, I can’t help but wish I had discovered this book when I was young as I know it would have fired my own imagination tremendously. Coming to the book at my advanced age, does allow me to understand why this book has been filmed for both movies and television numerous times as the author’s vision of a strange inner earth is vivid and one can see that it would play well on film. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Jun 1, 2016 |
Book Description What a stunning discovery: an old, coded note that actually contains directions for reaching the Earth’s very core! And once he finds it, renowned geologist Professor Liedenbrock can’t resist setting out with his 16-year-old nephew to go where only one man has gone before. Jules Verne takes young readers on one of the most incredible journeys ever imagined, from Iceland’s frozen tundra far down into fantastic underground prehistoric worlds and back up again through the fires of an erupting volcano.

My Review I loved this book as it was full of excitement and adventure, with slight hints of humor and slivers of suspense. Verne is so creative and imaginative, yet so descriptive, that you feel as if you are there with the trio as they make their journey. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves adventure. ( )
  EadieB | Jun 1, 2016 |
Journey to the Center of the Earth - Jules Verne
audio performance by Tim Curry

4 stars

In through a volcanic crater in Iceland and out on the crest of a volcanic eruption in Italy, this journey has to be one of Verne’s craziest feats of imagination. I prefer Around the World in Eighty Days which had better character development and more comedy. Professor Hardwigg, Alex, and the silent Hans Bjelke are a more serious trio. It was interesting to see how Verne incorporated the rapidly changing 19th century knowledge of geologic time into his story. At one point he even refers to discoveries that took place while the characters were incommunicado in the depths of the earth. Some parts of this book became a bit tedious, but the pleasure of listening to Tim Curry’s beautiful voice saved me from boredom.
  msjudy | May 30, 2016 |

Is contained in

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Looking back to all that has occurred to me since that eventful day, I am scarcely able to believe in the reality of my adventures.
Large though it is, that asylum is not big enough to contain all Professor Lidenbrock's madness.
This is the main work for A Journey to the Centre of the Earth by Jules Verne. Please do not combine with any adaptation, abridgement, etc.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553213970, Mass Market Paperback)

Written almost a century before the daring flights of the astronauts, Jules Verne’s prophetic novel of man’s race to the stars is a classic adventure tale enlivened by broad satire and scientific acumen.

When the members of the elite Baltimore Gun Club find themselves lacking any urgent assignments at the close of the Civil War, their president, Impey Barbicane, proposes that they build a gun big enough to launch a rocket to the moon. But when Barbicane’s adversary places a huge wager that the project will fail and a daring volunteer elevates the mission to a “manned” flight, one man’s dream turns into an international space race.

A story of rip-roaring action, humor, and wild imagination, From the Earth to the Moon is as uncanny in its accuracy and as filled with authentic detail and startling immediacy as Verne’s timeless masterpieces 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and Around the World in Eighty Days.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:16 -0400)

What a stunning discovery: an old, coded note that actually contains directions for reaching the Earth's very core! And once he finds it, renowned geologist Professor Liedenbrock can't resist setting out with his 16-year-old nephew to go where only one man has gone before. Jules Verne takes young readers on one of the most incredible journeys ever imagined, from Iceland's frozen tundra far down into fantastic underground prehistoric worlds and back up again through the fires of an erupting volcano.… (more)

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141321040, 0141441976, 0451532155

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909175145, 1907832785

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,893,345 books! | Top bar: Always visible