Journey to the Center of the Earth: A…

Journey to the Center of the Earth: A Signature Performance by Tim Curry (1864)

by Jules Verne

Member:Mz.Balma
Title:Journey to the Center of the Earth: A Signature Performance by Tim Curry
Authors:Jules Verne
Info:
Tags:Novels/Novellas, Fantasy/Science Fiction, Children's/YA Literature, Audiobooks

Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne (1864)

English (107)  French (2)  Portuguese (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (114)
I enjoyed this book and understand why it's a classic. Very exciting! ( )
  LiteraryChanteuse | Jan 27, 2016 |
When I read this in high school, I loved it, but I have no idea what I'd thnk of it now. ( )
  Karin7 | Jan 20, 2016 |
I loved this book as it was full of excitement and adventure, with slight hints of humor and slivers of suspense. Verne is so creative and imaginative, yet so descriptive, that you feel as if you are there with the trio as they make their journey. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves adventure.
  eadieburke | Jan 19, 2016 |
When German professor Otto Liedenbrock finds an antique Icelandic manuscript which suggests that its author found a way to descend to the center of the Earth, he insists on departing immediately to retrace the route. His nephew, Axel, accompanies him, despite protesting against the whole trip as insane. They travel to Iceland, hire a stoic guide named Hans, descend down the shaft of an extinct volcano, and generally have quite an adventure.

I really enjoyed Around the World in 80 Days because there was so much more to it than just a typical adventure story. I've been disappointed with every one of Verne's books that I've read since. The characters were not likable, and very little actually happened except a lot of walking in the bowels of the Earth.

I also had issues deciding which edition to read. I discovered that the paper copy I have is abridged and edited (I hate abridged books), and when I downloaded a couple different versions from Project Gutenberg, I discovered that pretty much all translations are edited to some extent. After reading it, I understand why people would feel some parts should be left out (see my statement above about nothing really happening), but I still think the decision on whether to skip the boring parts should be left up to the reader, not the translator. For those who are interested, I ended up reading the Malleson translation since it seemed to be the least edited. ( )
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |
I read the translation by Griffith and Farron before realising this was actually a rewrite and not a translation.

That said I did enjoy the story it kept me gripped and interested.

I know intend to read a true translation of what Verne actually wrote

Have now read the Malleson translation and while Griffith and Farron have not actually left much out they did embellish quite a lot especially the addition of a nightmare scene which doesnt actually happen. ( )
  BookWormM | Jan 15, 2016 |

Is contained in

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Looking back to all that has occurred to me since that eventful day, I am scarcely able to believe in the reality of my adventures.
Large though it is, that asylum is not big enough to contain all Professor Lidenbrock's madness.
This is the main work for A Journey to the Centre of the Earth by Jules Verne. Please do not combine with any adaptation, abridgement, etc.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553213970, Mass Market Paperback)

Written almost a century before the daring flights of the astronauts, Jules Verne’s prophetic novel of man’s race to the stars is a classic adventure tale enlivened by broad satire and scientific acumen.

When the members of the elite Baltimore Gun Club find themselves lacking any urgent assignments at the close of the Civil War, their president, Impey Barbicane, proposes that they build a gun big enough to launch a rocket to the moon. But when Barbicane’s adversary places a huge wager that the project will fail and a daring volunteer elevates the mission to a “manned” flight, one man’s dream turns into an international space race.

A story of rip-roaring action, humor, and wild imagination, From the Earth to the Moon is as uncanny in its accuracy and as filled with authentic detail and startling immediacy as Verne’s timeless masterpieces 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and Around the World in Eighty Days.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:16 -0400)

What a stunning discovery: an old, coded note that actually contains directions for reaching the Earth's very core! And once he finds it, renowned geologist Professor Liedenbrock can't resist setting out with his 16-year-old nephew to go where only one man has gone before. Jules Verne takes young readers on one of the most incredible journeys ever imagined, from Iceland's frozen tundra far down into fantastic underground prehistoric worlds and back up again through the fires of an erupting volcano.… (more)

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141321040, 0141441976, 0451532155

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909175145, 1907832785

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,233,791 books! | Top bar: Always visible