Borkmann's Point: An Inspector Van…

Borkmann's Point: An Inspector Van Veeteren Mystery (original 1994; edition 2007)

by Hakan Nesser, Laurie Thompson (Translator)

Member:tamarajp
Title:Borkmann's Point: An Inspector Van Veeteren Mystery
Authors:Hakan Nesser
Other authors:Laurie Thompson (Translator)
Info:Vintage (2007), Paperback, 321 pages
Rating:***1/2

Borkmann's Point by Håkan Nesser (1994)

English (43)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (46)
The second in the Swedish Inspector Van Veeteren series, and it's really growing on me. Usually I like some meat on the bones, but these spare novels about a cynical and dryly bemused detective are just the thing for a reader needing something that just skims along on the top of the story. I don't mean the crimes aren't intriguing, although I did guess this one about 3/4 through (and I'm not that good at it), but these books are just easy to digest and zip right through. The story is told through the viewpoints of the Inspector, his main associate Münster, a deft female detective from the town where they are all searching for a serial ax killer, and the killer himself. Van Veeteren believes in his mentor Borkmann's main idea about solving crime: at some point you know everything you need to, and more input only distracts you from what you have. The trick is to find the balance, and Van Veeteren is a master at it. ( )
  auntmarge64 | Jul 7, 2018 |
beautiful empty beaches, small towns, axe murders, clever and intuitive detectives and detectives who reason... and thoroughly enjoyable. ( )
  jkdavies | Jun 14, 2016 |
Much better than Mind's Eye and a couple of the later books. The translation seemed better, but it was done by the same translator. ( )
  ebethe | May 6, 2016 |
It read easily but without flair. Too much padding in attempt to prolong little bursts of weak suspense. Too much extraneous detail about various characters' interior lives which was completely irrelevant to the story, without the saving grace of providing a different perspective into the human condition. This seems to be a common pitfall in this genre. Enjoyed the short snippets of the villain's POV. Other than the names, it felt generic. ( )
  TheBookJunky | Apr 22, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this audio book from the LibraryThing Early Reviewers program in exchange for an impartial review.

I have enjoyed many audiobooks, but for some reason, I just could not get into this one and did not finish it. I have heard such great things about this book and the series, and plan to read it someday. As for this audiobook, as I did not finish it, I do not feel that I can give it a fair ranking, as I believe that I would like the book itself.
  rretzler | Jan 25, 2016 |

Håkan Nesserprimary authorall editionscalculated
Luijten, ClementineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thompson, LaurieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
But of course, necessity can never be a reason nor an excuse. Only a cause.

--C.W. Wundermaas,
Former detective chief inspector
Till Sanna och Johannes
Had Ernst Simmel known he was going to be the Axman's second victim, he would no doubt have downed a few more drinks at The Blue Ship.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0375421963, Hardcover)

An ex–con is brutally murdered with an ax in Kaalbringen. Then the body of a wealthy real estate mogul is found, also the victim of a violent attack. There appears to be a serial killer on the loose, and Chief Inspector Van Veeteren is called in to help the local police. In his storied career he has only left one case unsolved, but he’s never before faced an ax murderer. As details surrounding the grisly murders are collected, Van Veeteren finds that there is almost nothing to go on; nothing links the two victims. But then there’s another murder, and shortly thereafter one of Van Veeteren’s colleagues, a promising female detective, goes missing—perhaps because the criminal knows she has come too close to the truth. . . .

In this riveting novel, full of fascinating, quirky characters and deep motives, Håkan Nesser introduces American readers to a detective who is already beloved by his European readership, as he spins a story that leaves even the most veteran crime–novel readers chilled.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:08 -0400)

An ex-con is brutally murdered with an ax in Kaalbringen. Then the body of a wealthy real estate mogul is found, also the victim of a violent attack. There appears to be a serial killer on the loose, and Chief Inspector Van Veeteren is called in to help the local police. In his storied career he has only left one case unsolved, but he's never before faced an ax murderer. As details surrounding the grisly murders are collected, Van Veeteren finds that there is almost nothing to go on; nothing links the two victims. But then there's another murder, and shortly thereafter one of Van Veeteren's colleagues, a promising female detective, goes missing - perhaps because the criminal knows she has come too close to the truth. . . .… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Håkan Nesser's book Borkmann's Point - AUDIO EDITION was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,620,989 books! | Top bar: Always visible