Borkmann's Point: An Inspector Van…

Borkmann's Point: An Inspector Van Veeteren Mystery (original 1994; edition 2007)

by Hakan Nesser, Laurie Thompson (Translator)

Member:tamarajp
Title:Borkmann's Point: An Inspector Van Veeteren Mystery
Authors:Hakan Nesser
Other authors:Laurie Thompson (Translator)
Info:Vintage (2007), Paperback, 321 pages
Rating:***1/2

Borkmann's Point by Håkan Nesser (1994)

English (34)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (37)
I'm sorry to say I found this desperately slow going. It took me weeks to get to within 50 pages of the end. By this point I was as desperate as the fictional detectives to get the murder solved, especially as nothing had really happened and they had no real suspect. The last 50 pages were quite good, if only the rest of the book could have been as well paced, ( )
  cathymoore | Feb 13, 2014 |
I enjoyed this crime novel quite a bit. A series of murders using an ax terrorizes a small northern European town and the Inspector is brought in to help catch the murdered. It takes a while, strangely enough for a small town where everyone seems to know each other, but they do eventually uncover the murdered. Wonderful characters that seem real while also serious and funny. Not an easy combination. ( )
  stuart10er | Nov 5, 2013 |
Borkmann's Point: "the point beyond which we really don't need any more information. When we reach that point, we already know enough to solve the case by means of nothing more than some decent thinking. " It took me until page 75 to reach that point... ( )
  Eowyn1 | Oct 11, 2013 |
This is the second in the Van Veeteren series. This isn't as dark as most Scandi crime fiction, but Nesser does a great job keeping his readers in suspense until the very end.

In this book, an ax murderer has killed 3 people in a small town. The local constabulary have no experience with murder and Van Veeteren is called in to offer some assistance. There are no clues and no apparent motive. No witnesses or at least no reliable witnesses and most frustratingly, no apparent connection between the 3 men.

I like the way the story builds. I had thought I figured out who the killer was and possibly what the motive was, but I was completely blown away when I discovered at the end that I was wrong and that I'd been barking up a wrong tree in a completely different forest. ( )
  cameling | Sep 1, 2013 |
A brilliant plot. I love the characters, and I love the atmosphere the author creates. He is one of those writers who can sketch a person or a place with just a few sentences, and you see everything so vividly. I am planning to read all his books! ( )
  MsGumby | Apr 27, 2013 |

Håkan Nesserprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Luijten, ClementineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thompson, LaurieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
But of course, necessity can never be a reason nor an excuse. Only a cause.

--C.W. Wundermaas,
Former detective chief inspector
Till Sanna och Johannes
Had Ernst Simmel known he was going to be the Axman's second victim, he would no doubt have downed a few more drinks at The Blue Ship.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0375421963, Hardcover)

An ex–con is brutally murdered with an ax in Kaalbringen. Then the body of a wealthy real estate mogul is found, also the victim of a violent attack. There appears to be a serial killer on the loose, and Chief Inspector Van Veeteren is called in to help the local police. In his storied career he has only left one case unsolved, but he’s never before faced an ax murderer. As details surrounding the grisly murders are collected, Van Veeteren finds that there is almost nothing to go on; nothing links the two victims. But then there’s another murder, and shortly thereafter one of Van Veeteren’s colleagues, a promising female detective, goes missing—perhaps because the criminal knows she has come too close to the truth. . . .

In this riveting novel, full of fascinating, quirky characters and deep motives, Håkan Nesser introduces American readers to a detective who is already beloved by his European readership, as he spins a story that leaves even the most veteran crime–novel readers chilled.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:24 -0400)

"An ex-con is brutally murdered with an ax in Kaalbringen. Then the body of a wealthy real estate mogul is found, also the victim of a violent attack. There appears to be a serial killer on the loose, and Chief Inspector Van Veeteren is called in to help the local police. In his storied career he has only left one case unsolved, but he's never before faced an ax murderer. As details surrounding the grisly murders are collected, Van Veeteren finds that there is almost nothing to go on; nothing links the two victims. But then there's another murder, and shortly thereafter one of Van Veeteren's colleagues, a promising female detective, goes missing - perhaps because the criminal knows she has come too close to the truth."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Borkmann's Point - AUDIO EDITION by Håkan Nesser was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,273,174 books! | Top bar: Always visible