Borkmann's Point: An Inspector Van…

Borkmann's Point: An Inspector Van Veeteren Mystery (original 1994; edition 2007)

by Hakan Nesser, Laurie Thompson (Translator)

Member:tamarajp
Title:Borkmann's Point: An Inspector Van Veeteren Mystery
Authors:Hakan Nesser
Other authors:Laurie Thompson (Translator)
Info:Vintage (2007), Paperback, 321 pages
Rating:***1/2

Borkmann's Point by Håkan Nesser (1994)

English (41)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (44)
Much better than Mind's Eye and a couple of the later books. The translation seemed better, but it was done by the same translator. ( )
  ebethe | May 6, 2016 |
It read easily but without flair. Too much padding in attempt to prolong little bursts of weak suspense. Too much extraneous detail about various characters' interior lives which was completely irrelevant to the story, without the saving grace of providing a different perspective into the human condition. This seems to be a common pitfall in this genre. Enjoyed the short snippets of the villain's POV. Other than the names, it felt generic. ( )
  TheBookJunky | Apr 22, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this audio book from the LibraryThing Early Reviewers program in exchange for an impartial review.

I have enjoyed many audiobooks, but for some reason, I just could not get into this one and did not finish it. I have heard such great things about this book and the series, and plan to read it someday. As for this audiobook, as I did not finish it, I do not feel that I can give it a fair ranking, as I believe that I would like the book itself.
  rretzler | Jan 25, 2016 |
The first in the Van Veeteren series but my third and hugely enjoyable it was too. ( )
  Superenigmatix | Jan 16, 2016 |
Rather like the last book I read, this book's overall Good Reads rating fits exactly to my view of its merits. It is a bit unclear as to whether this is the first or second book in the series (it seems more like the second, because there is little in the way of "set-up", but no matter. I was surprised to find out he is a Swedish writer, writing about a Swedish policeman in that there is a lot less introspection than is normal in Nordic noir. But I have already purchased five more books in the series; so you can tell I enjoyed it and look forward to the next one! ( )
  johnwbeha | Nov 18, 2015 |

Håkan Nesserprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Luijten, ClementineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thompson, LaurieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
But of course, necessity can never be a reason nor an excuse. Only a cause.

--C.W. Wundermaas,
Former detective chief inspector
Till Sanna och Johannes
Had Ernst Simmel known he was going to be the Axman's second victim, he would no doubt have downed a few more drinks at The Blue Ship.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0375421963, Hardcover)

An ex–con is brutally murdered with an ax in Kaalbringen. Then the body of a wealthy real estate mogul is found, also the victim of a violent attack. There appears to be a serial killer on the loose, and Chief Inspector Van Veeteren is called in to help the local police. In his storied career he has only left one case unsolved, but he’s never before faced an ax murderer. As details surrounding the grisly murders are collected, Van Veeteren finds that there is almost nothing to go on; nothing links the two victims. But then there’s another murder, and shortly thereafter one of Van Veeteren’s colleagues, a promising female detective, goes missing—perhaps because the criminal knows she has come too close to the truth. . . .

In this riveting novel, full of fascinating, quirky characters and deep motives, Håkan Nesser introduces American readers to a detective who is already beloved by his European readership, as he spins a story that leaves even the most veteran crime–novel readers chilled.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:08 -0400)

"An ex-con is brutally murdered with an ax in Kaalbringen. Then the body of a wealthy real estate mogul is found, also the victim of a violent attack. There appears to be a serial killer on the loose, and Chief Inspector Van Veeteren is called in to help the local police. In his storied career he has only left one case unsolved, but he's never before faced an ax murderer. As details surrounding the grisly murders are collected, Van Veeteren finds that there is almost nothing to go on; nothing links the two victims. But then there's another murder, and shortly thereafter one of Van Veeteren's colleagues, a promising female detective, goes missing - perhaps because the criminal knows she has come too close to the truth."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Borkmann's Point - AUDIO EDITION by Håkan Nesser was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,780,682 books! | Top bar: Always visible