The Latke Who Couldn't Stop Screaming : A…

The Latke Who Couldn't Stop Screaming : A Christmas Story (2007)

by Lemony Snicket

Other authors: Lisa Brown (Illustrator)

English (29)  German (1)  All (30)
12/07 An amusing little story, but nothing to call the kids for. I read an Amazon review that really tore into it for dividing, not uniting, and I didn't see that, but although I like Lemony Snickett, it didn't get me too excited. ("...a word which here means...." has worn out its welcome if you ask me.) ( )
  thukpa | Feb 6, 2016 |
  thukpa | Feb 6, 2016 |
  thukpa | Feb 5, 2016 |
SUMMARY
On a cool, winter night, a latke was born. It screamed and ran though the town, encountering various Christmas icons. When I decided to stop and rest at a pine tree, a Jewish family took it home and ate it.

REVIEW
I thought this book was a great way to learn about some aspects of Hanukkah. The text is very playful and humorous, which makes it very engaging to read. I didn't realize that the latke was actually symbolic. The author also throws in some definitions for higher-level words. For example, he uses the word unabated and follows it by saying, "a phrase which here means "The latke was still very annoyed at the objects with whom it had spoken." I think this a nice way to provide clarification and understanding to the story. Overall, the book definitely shared the significance of the latke to Hanukkah. ( )
  tstato1 | Oct 14, 2014 |
I am personally a little creeped out by anthropomorphizing food things, which talk in the first person about being cooked and being delicious. But setting that aside, I found this little book charming and very funny, and interpretable on multiple levels. My 5yo loved the "AAAAAGGGGGHHHHH" that kept repeating. My partner and I snickered over the commentaries on Christmas. "Let me tell you a funny story..." about pagans and Christmas. Heh.

We will read again. ( )
  lquilter | Jan 12, 2014 |

Snicket, Lemonyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brown, LisaIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This story ends in someone's mouth, but it begins in a tiny village more or less covered in snow.

"Latkes are potato pancakes served at Hanukah. Lemony Snicket is an alleged children's author. For the first time in literary history, these two elements are combined in one book. People who are interested in either or both of these things will find this book so enjoyable it will feel as if Hanukah is being celebrated for several years, rather than eight nights."--back cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,060,568 books! | Top bar: Always visible