Haunted: A Novel by Chuck Palahniuk

Haunted: A Novel (original 2005; edition 2006)

by Chuck Palahniuk

Member:alynnk
Title:Haunted: A Novel
Authors:Chuck Palahniuk
Info:Anchor (2006), Paperback, 432 pages
Tags:@wishlist: to read

Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk (2005)

English (120)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (124)
I just finished and this was my first Chuck Palaniuk book so I'm not sure how it stacks up to his other works. I was impressed by his imagination and gory-filled stories; however, the entire plotline seemed very weak. I would much have preferred to have a stronger plotline. I do like the use of the short stories from each of the characters, it gives you a little glimpse into their past lives, but their connections with each other just seemed very loose, as it was all talk about getting out and becoming famous.This is the reason for the 3 stars - points for effort and lacking in a real solid story.

(note: minor plot detail ahead)
Being trapped in there, lobbing off fingers and toes to make it look like they have suffered really represented the desperation human beings will go, whether it's to do a simple thing like survive (like eating each other) or becoming successful (creating made-up stories in which they can sell upon their rescue). I loved how it ended, how the remaining characters were so desperate they would rather wait for a "rescue" to come than to get out when the door is opened for them after the 3 months. You could sense their frustration about how things worked out. These characters, with the exceptions of some of them like Mrs. Clark and Miss Sneezy, are very ignorant, whiney egomaniacs who are so distressed with their own triumphs that they fail to be adequate humans and succumb to radical and flawed behavior.

Another thing that was very interesting was there was never any menition nor proof about who was the narrator. The story is written in first-person-plural narration using the words “we” and “us” with no use of the “I” or “me”; therefore I felt like it was weird not knowing whose definite voice and opinion was being shown, rather there was a group-collective voice showing all the different sides somewhat. Very bizarre. ( )
  elle-kay | Jan 27, 2016 |
To say that I read this book is not true; however, I did read all that I am going to read in it. And it damaged me. I was glad to get rid of this one and its bad vibes. Gross is not entertaining. It's just gross. I would NEVER recommend this to anyone. ( )
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |
Loved this book!! Its always refreshing to read something that is completely different and this book defiantly falls into that category! I'm not usually one for short stories but the way they were engineered in this story was really smart and kept you guessing. All the stories of the writers were totally quirky and unexpected and most of them I wanted to keep reading to see what happened.

The ending was fantastic because just like the book it was unexpected. I can see why this book has such a great reputation and I am looking forward to reading a lot more work by Chuck Palahniuk in the future! ( )
  Rachel_Sanders | Jan 4, 2016 |
Found at the local town dump to which it will be returned. I made it more than half way through because there were some amusing points. Overall though, way too scattered, too many characters, too gross.... etc. etc. Life is short, moving on to something better. ( )
  viviennestrauss | Nov 2, 2015 |
Two things are sure. One: Palahnuik is crazy and, two: he's a frakkin' genius. This book is a collection of short stories written-told by a company of writers, locked in a house somewhere, whilst the insanity triumphing amongst them. Disturbing, outrageous page-turner, a true Palahniuk book. ( )
  TheCrow2 | Jul 14, 2015 |
Palahniuk's always been hammy, but in the past, speedster plots and glossy prose salvaged the sitcom shallowness. Here, Haunted's wonky framing device tries to hold together 23 tales (and 21 accompanying poems) that would've best been served without garnish.

If books had aromas, this one would reek of "old potatoes melting into a black puddle under the kitchen sink."

Chuck Palahniukprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Palahniuk, Chuckmain authorall editionsconfirmed
This was supposed to be a writer's retreat. It was supposed to be safe.

An isolated writer's colony, where we could work,
run by an old, old dying man named Whittier,
until it wasn't.

And we supposed to write poetry. Pretty poetry.
This crowd of us, his gifted students,
locked away from the ordinary world for three months.
The difference between how you look and how you see yourself is enough to kill most people. (Mrs. Clark in “Post Production: A Story by Mrs. Clark")

Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk is a novel made up of stories: Twenty-three of them, to be precise. Twenty-three of the most horrifying, hilarious, mind-blowing, stomach-churning tales you’ll ever encounter—sometimes all at once. They are told by people who have answered an ad headlined “Writers’ Retreat: Abandon Your Life for Three Months,” and who are led to believe that here they will leave behind all the distractions of “real life” that are keeping them from creating the masterpiece that is in them. But “here” turns out to be a cavernous and ornate old theater where they are utterly isolated from the outside world—and where heat and power and, most important, food are in increasingly short supply. And the more desperate the circumstances become, the more extreme the stories they tell—and the more devious their machinations become to make themselves the hero of the inevitable play/movie/nonfiction blockbuster that will surely be made from their plight.

Haunted is on one level a satire of reality television—The Real World meets Alive. It draws from a great literary tradition—The Canterbury Tales, The Decameron, the English storytellers in the Villa Diodati who produced, among other works, Frankenstein—to tell an utterly contemporary tale of people desperate that their story be told at any cost. Appallingly entertaining, Haunted is Chuck Palahniuk at his finest—which means his most extreme and his most provocative.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:57 -0400)

Twenty-three stories chronicle the experiences of people who have answered an ad for an artist's retreat, believing that they will find a peaceful refuge, only to find themselves isolated and trapped in a cavernous old theater.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,179,701 books! | Top bar: Always visible