Memories of Ice (The Malazan Book of the…

Memories of Ice (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Book 3) (edition 2006)

by Steven Erikson

2,208474,393 (4.34)61
Member:MSchroeder
Title:Memories of Ice (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Book 3)
Authors:Steven Erikson
Info:Tor Fantasy (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 944 pages
Rating:*****

Memories of Ice by Steven Erikson

English (45)  Spanish (1)  Slovak (1)  All languages (47)
This book saw the return of characters from the 1st book: Paran, Whiskeyjack, the Bridgeburners... It's dark, very dark and gritty, though humour will ambush you at unexpected turns. It's a story about people and groups of people fighting a gruesome war.
Eriksson's magic system and pantheon are complex, it's like reading about an alien civilisation, and I loved every minute of it. ( )
  Sept | May 21, 2019 |
I skipped over Deadhouse Gates to read this one, and I don't think my reading suffered for it. It was on the suggestion of a friend who is familiar with the Malazan books, and their somewhat confusing presentation order.

I'm honestly not sure what to say about the plot of the book, as there is so much going on, and with Erikson's style of crafting, it's difficult to tell, on introduction, which characters might turn out to be important. Small moments have relevance later. My friend and I speak of the books often, even though I'm new to them and he's read them many times (something that probably impacts how I understand the book), and if you're the type to read and ponder, there is plenty here to muse over.

I'll say about Erikson what I've said about Tolkien: reading his books is like eating cheese cake. I can't eat it fast, and I can't eat a lot of it at once. It took some time to get through Memories of Ice compared to Gardens of the Moon, but at not point would I say I was disappointed. Even if the over arching plotline was lost on me at times, what was happening on the page in front of me was more than enough for reading enjoyment. The first line is still one of my favourites, simple as it is, for how it sets the tone of the story, after the surprise of the chronological note that sets date of the following section of story. ( )
  WeeTurtle | Aug 13, 2018 |

Genre: SFF
Pages: 945
Format: Digital Edition

Synopsis:

The Pannion Domin is a threat both martial and magical and it will take the combined forces of the outlawed army of Dujek Onearm, former High Fist of the Malazan Empire, and their former enemies in the guise of the combined might of Caladan Brood's army and the sorcerous might of Anomander Rake and his floating city of Moonspawn.

At the same time, Silverfox [the fully grown woman encompassing the souls of 3 other mages] has called the T'lan Imass together again for the first time in over 300,000 years. She is the physical embodiment of an Imass magician and has the power to reverse the oath the Imass took in their war against the Jhagut. She refuses and this has fallout for her personally and for the forces of Dujek and Brood who were counting on the Imass to counter the undead forces of a race thought to be extinct, the K'chain Ch'maile.

All through this, the gods continue their own war. The fallen/broken god has declared war on the pantheon and he wants to destroy them all for bringing him to this world. Fenner, the god of war, has fallen and a new risen god, Treach the Tiger, has ascended. Old lost gods are finding their thrones and each god is choosing for or against the broken god. And amid the total destruction and war on the souls of the men themselves, it is revealed that this part of the story is but a small part of the overall narrative.

Now THAT is depressing.

My Thoughts:

First thing I noticed was that with with 3rd read, I was able to not focus on all the shiny little bits and put the story together as a whole. In previous reads I found a huge disconnect from the leadup to the battle of Capustan to the final showdown at Corel. This time around there was no disconnect and the story naturally flowed without any jarring. It was really nice to UNDERSTAND the slightly bigger picture.

Erikson shows once again that he is a freaking master of writing. The battle scenes were incredible. Vivid, intense and brutal. You can feel the slippery blood, the complete exhaustion, the fear and the adrenaline rush. The interactions between characters was excellently done as well. There was NO cardboard, only flesh and blood come to life on paper. What's more, everyone was “distinct”. They weren't archtypes, or ideas, or variations on a theme. They Were People.

And that leads into the start of my issues. With the characters being so real, the hearbreak and despair and utter desolation that they one and all suffer is wrong. In previous reads, I was taken up with the story, trying to figure out how everything fit together. In being focused on that, the emotional side of things were glossed over. Not this time. The death of main characters hit hard. They weren't alone but had made connections, so when those threads were cut, it was like a spiderweb quivering all over. No on person was ever alone in their anguish or loss. It hurt to read as it was so real to me.

The second, and far bigger issue for me, was the wholesale injection of existential philosophy in a huge way. Existentialism is one of the most depressing philosophies, in my opinion. In small doses, it provides a way for men to show their true grit against completely overwhelming odds. However, in larger doses, it can overwhelm the reader with utter despair and destroy your psyche.

It is probably apparent which happened to me.

By the end of the book I was dreading every instance where I saw italicized walls of text. That meant that some character was thinking and every thought of every character was nothing but despair and hopeless angst. It wore me down.

On my first read through of the whole series, it took me until Book 8 to feel this way. Since then, I've had some “experience” with the hard side of life and reading about despair and suffering isn't theoretical anymore. Reading about suffering isn't so fun once you've had a taste of it yourself. I think I'm going to be taking an extra cycle before dipping my toes into this series again.

More specifics about the story itself can be found in my Memories of Ice Readalong Updates. (not available on LT due to extra coding requirements)

★★★★☆ ( )
2 vote BookstoogeLT | Jul 16, 2017 |
Fantastic continuation of the Malazan series. Starts off where Gardens of the Moon left off and seems to occur around the same time as Deadhouse Gates in a different part of the world. It was great to see familiar characters and to see their adventure continue. Of course still many new faces and all of them interesting. The storyline is very much more streamlined then the first 2 books. It really hooks you in. The exploration of the world and the gods are really starting to shape up into something more cohesive and understandable. I really enjoyed this book and I'm looking forward to more in the series. ( )
  renbedell | Jun 23, 2017 |
Read September 2008
Read January 2010

September 2008 Review:

taking place during and immediately after Deadhouse Gates. Paran is now Lord of the Decks [which recognizes legitimate" gods]. Turns out that the Crippled god is actually an alien forced into our dimension 100's of thousands of years ago and now he is trying to destroy everything here in revenge. He is playing a great game of war.

This book deals with various factions putting down an army of his that is led by a Jaghut. Details alot more about the Imass and the Jaghuts in the far past. Has lots to do with the rise and fall of gods, ascendants and the like. It is incredibly sad. Yet the writing is SO incredible that whenever I read a fantasy book right after one of these, the fantasy book seems so shallow and 2d by comparison.

Read this on my honeymoon, so that might have a tiny influence on why I enjoyed this so much ;D

January 2010 Review:
The storyline takes a decided cut about 3/4 of the way through. One storyline ends and another picks up, but so different that it feels like another book. Overall, I enjoyed this nearly as much the second time. I made more connections, but the impact of the sadness and loneliness of the Imass was really subdued." ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |

Steven Eriksonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lockwood, ToddCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To R. S. Lundin
Swallows darted through the clouds of midges dancing over the mudflats.
For the German-language version of the series 'Das Spiel der Götter', this book was split into two volumes - 'Die eisige Zeit' (2001) ISBN 3-442-24997-X and 'Der Tag des Sehers' (2001) ISBN 3-442-24998-8
Please do not combine these works

Marking the return of many characters from "Gardens of the Moon" and introducing a host of remarkable new players, this novel is both a momentous new chapter in Erikson's magnificent epic fantasy and a triumph of storytelling.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,555,252 books! | Top bar: Always visible