The Ten Year Nap by Meg Wolitzer

The Ten Year Nap

by Meg Wolitzer

I thoroughly enjoyed this book which transcended its topic from p. 1.

So-called Mommy Lit does not appeal to me and I find the whole working vs non-working so loaded, I truly try not to go there. But Wolitzer is so witty and shows so much compassion for her characters, I was won over from the beginning. This was so much more than an empty polemic - it really explores - in a humorous and thoughtful way - the choices we make and the ones that are made for us. She is also an expert at delineating the emotions of motherhood - from the passionate to the ambivilent. i spent a lot of time reading and nodding, thinking 'That is exactly how I feel'.

There are a few misteps, but overall, a funny wonderful novel.

laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
Some interesting ideas but seriously, does every woman hate what's become of their life? ( )
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |
I absolutely loved The Interestings, which followed the lives of a group of kids who met at an artsy summer camp in the 1970s. This earlier book has a similar structure, but it was nowhere near as compelling.

The title refers to the period of time that a group of highly educated woman drop out of their careers in favor of the mommy track. Jill is a failed academic, Rebecca is a failed artist, Amy is a lawyer, Karen is a statistician. Amy injects a little vicarious drama into her life when she befriends a have-it-all career woman mother who is cheating on her husband.

The story felt both meandering and contrived, and I had a hard time caring about any of the characters. I felt like I was assaulted with every negative stereotype you can name about the upper-middle-class NOW type of feminism. It could have been interesting written as satire, but I'm not sure the author knew she was presenting stereotypes. Most of the characters, most of the time, were maddeningly oblivious to their economic and educational privilege. Toward the end of the book, one of the characters spoke of the "trap" of being married to a high-earning husband and accustomed to an expensive lifestyle. Oh, please.

Finally, in a book about mothers, the relationship of these women to their kids was pretty thinly sketched. ( )
  CasualFriday | Aug 17, 2015 |
The book was somewhat disappointing. I heard an interview with the author and expected more than the book delivered. ( )
  TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |

Wolitzer, Megprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bresnahan, AlyssaReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Peter Smith
All around the country, the women were waking up.

Ten years after leaving high-power jobs to raise their children, four New York friends enter their forties while struggling with the differences between their past ideals and their present realities.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,416,141 books! | Top bar: Always visible