Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.
The Probabilistic Method (Wiley-Interscience Series in Discrete…
by Noga Alon
No current Talk conversations about this book.
Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0471370460, Hardcover)The leading reference on probabilistic methods in combinatorics-now expanded and updated
When it was first published in 1991, The Probabilistic Method became instantly the standard reference on one of the most powerful and widely used tools in combinatorics. Still without competition nearly a decade later, this new edition brings you up to speed on recent developments, while adding useful exercises and over 30% new material. It continues to emphasize the basic elements of the methodology, discussing in a remarkably clear and informal style both algorithmic and classical methods as well as modern applications.
The Probabilistic Method, Second Edition begins with basic techniques that use expectation and variance, as well as the more recent martingales and correlation inequalities, then explores areas where probabilistic techniques proved successful, including discrepancy and random graphs as well as cutting-edge topics in theoretical computer science. A series of proofs, or "probabilistic lenses," are interspersed throughout the book, offering added insight into the application of the probabilistic approach. New and revised coverage includes:
* Several improved as well as new results
* A continuous approach to discrete probabilistic problems
* Talagrand's Inequality and other novel concentration results
* A discussion of the connection between discrepancy and VC-dimension
* Several combinatorial applications of the entropy function and its properties
* A new section on the life and work of Paul Erd?s-the developer of the probabilistic method
(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:51 -0400)
No library descriptions found.
Is this you?
Become a LibraryThing Author.