Sunrise Over Fallujah by Walter Dean Myers

Sunrise Over Fallujah

by Walter Dean Myers

Having read Fallen Andels--I wanted to see how the Middle East war was handled in this YA book. Also I served as an officer in the USMC however was not in any combat circumstances. It's interesting to see how the author handles women in the militay in this novel. Am only 1/4 through--so will add more as I proceed.
  cljacobson | Aug 22, 2016 |
This was one of our Battle of the Books selections this year and work is one of the few things that could get me to pick this one up. Don't get me wrong, Walter Dean Myers is an excellent author who should be read, but war stories in general are not for me.

It is as realistic at they come. The dread, fear, and hope reduced to sadness are all palpable. There were times when I had to set the book aside due to the images I was conjuring up. (Having loved ones who are in the military and have been shipped out doesn't help matters).

The emotion most conveyed is that of confusion as the enemy is hard to spot and the rules have a tendency to change--even in the middle of combat. The most surprising aspect of this is that it's not overly bloody; though that's not to imply that it isn't violent. Much of the violence is discussed after the fact, or by a third party, or it happens very quickly. There is one major moment of violence that serves to punctuate the issues that arise throughout the novel.

The writing is well done and I do like the characters, but the subject matter is not what I typically gravitate to. I am glad I read it, and I think if others are not too put off by the subject matter, they will enjoy it. ( )
  jennk | Mar 11, 2016 |
Narrated by JD Jackson. Early in the Iraq war, "Birdy" is part of a unit of soldiers basically charged with "winning the hearts and minds" of the Iraqi people. But bridging the cultural divide is difficult. How do you win over people whose family members have been killed in the conflict or those who are trying to kill you? This book reveals the many sides of war--boredom, fear, disappointment, frustration, grief, anger--and how they affect one's life perspective forever. I found the audio version rather slow going but I may have to give this one another chance. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
This book describes the experiences of Robin “Birdy” Perry in the Iraq war. The reader gets to meet the people assigned to his Civilian Affairs unit and experience what they experienced on the front lines of this war. Throughout the story, Birdy sends letters home to his uncle, a Vietnam vet. In them he details some of his experiences and expresses understanding for how his uncle did not want to talk about his experiences. They now share a bond based on these experiences in two different wars. Excellent historic fiction. ( )
  Susan.Macura | Dec 13, 2015 |
Acclaimed YA author Walter Dean Myers turns his gaze to Operation Iraqi Freedom (2003-2011) the American-Iraqi war. He captures the daily monotony, lack of knowledge, and the confusion of war and shows the inner dialogue of a soldier (Robin aka Birdy) as he struggles to make sense of his mission there. Unlike a 'traditional' war there is no Front and the enemy is hard to identify (and ever-changing). Not as gripping as his companion piece on Vietnam, Fallen Angels, Sunrise will still appeal to readers --especially boys-- who want a taste of the current military situation. ( )
  mjspear | Nov 24, 2014 |

Walter Dean Myersprimary authorall editionscalculated
O'Brien, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the men and women, now serving, or who have served, in the United States Armed Forces, and to all the families who have anxiously awaited their safe return.
Dear Uncle Richie, When I was home on leave I reread the letters you sent from Vietnam to my father.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0439916259, Mass Market Paperback)

From Walter Dean Myers comes a powerful and timely novel about the heroics and horror of war---a gripping companion to FALLEN ANGELS.

Robin "Birdy" Perry, a new army recruit from Harlem, isn't quite sure why he joined the army, but he's sure where he's headed: Iraq. Birdy and the others in the Civilian Affairs Battalion are supposed to help secure and stabilize the country and successfully interact with the Iraqi people. Officially, the code name for their maneuvers is Operation Iraqi Freedom. But the young men and women in the CA unit have a simpler name for it:

WAR

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:08 -0400)

YA. Adventure fiction. Robin B?irdy' Perry, a US army recruit from Harlem, isn't quite sure why he joined the army, but he's sure where he's headed: Iraq. Birdy and the others in the Civilian Affairs Battalion are supposed to help secure and stabilise the country and successfully interact with the Iraqi people. Officially, the code name for their manoeuvres is Operation Iraqi Freedom. But the young men and women in the CA unit have a simpler name for it. War.12 yrs+… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,941,098 books! | Top bar: Always visible