Sweethearts by Sara Zarr

Sweethearts

by Sara Zarr

How To Say Goodbye In Robot by Natalie Standiford (weener)
    weener: Both interesting books about not-really-romantic love relationships between young people.
    Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen (writemeg)

I'm just going to go ahead and get my complaint out there so I can move on to what is great about this book. The book takes place in Salt Lake City, Utah. I would be lying if I said that there isn't this weird perception about Salt Lake. I, myself, had it. Because the Mormon pioneers settled in this region there is this perception that it is full of Mormons and they are complete jerks to anyone who isn't a Mormon. That may have been the case at one point and I certainly felt that way in the 90s when I first lived here. However, I really do think things have changed in a big way since then. Sure, the local government is swayed by the Mormon culture, but in what area is it not true that religion sways things? Throughout this book there were little, random jabs towards the Mormon population of Salt Lake that really had no place in the story except to demonstrate that the author was or had at one point struggled with that aspect of the culture.

Moving on. As a child I moved a lot and had people constantly coming in and out of my life. Sometimes I can't help but wonder what some of those people are doing now and if they ever think about me. I liked that Cameron and Jenna were childhood friends and even though he moved far away he always wondered about Jenna and wanted her in his life again. What I hated was the fact that Jenna's mother couldn't be honest with her about Cameron. How is it easier to let your child think that their best friend died a tragic death? Worst mother of the year award right there.

I'm beginning to realize that I seem to have mostly complaints pertaining to this novel. Instead of going on and on about those, I just want to mention that I did read this book in one sitting. I think that says something. The author is talented and her writing does keep you engaged. However, these characters and this story just didn't quite do it for me. I do plan on checking out something else written by Sara Zarr. ( )
  Emma_Manolis | Jun 27, 2017 |
Dos amigos se separan y años después se reencuentran. Sus vidas han cambiado totalmente, pero ¿ha cambiado su amistad?

Esta es una bellisima historia sobre el poder del amor y la amistad. Totalmente realista y conmovedora. Con personajes muy bien desarrollados y una trama cautivadora.

Me involucre tanto con los personajes que quisiera que el final fuera totalmente distinto, pero como dije, esta es una historia realista y en la vida real los "felices para siempre" no existen.

Uno de mis favoritos de todos los tiempos. ( )
  Glire | Jun 22, 2016 |
I kept waiting for something of substance, but it never came. I was okay with the main character until I found out what the horrible thing was that happened on her 9th birthday, then she started to get on my nerves. Did not like the mom, actually the only character I did like was the stepdad. ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
Jennifer and Cameron Quick are friends when they were young. When Cameron goes missing and disappears on Jennifer's 9th birthday, she is devastated to find out Cameron had died. Presumably dead, Jennifer moves with her life. Now age 17, she have completely change and establish a new identity from changing her real name to "Jenna", having a new set of friends, and having a boyfriend. Suddenly when Cameron appears and enter Jennifer's life, she's quickly confuse as to what she wants in life. Cameron's return prompts questions from her friends to her boyfriend to her mom about her life between her and Cameron.

I always have moments where I miss a dear close friend, family member, and stranger because the bond between me and them are gone or short. And reading this book has prompt me to question those lost of losing someone after being gone from their life. Even being a different person after years have passed can question my true identity as to who I want to be in life when a traumatic event in my past is triggered to awaken my conscious of a memorable moment. Sometimes, I live in denial of a life I don't want to be but still do knowing how difficult to be honest with myself. It can cost me the losses of being with others especially when I tell a different story to my friends and relatives that aren't true or believable. I love this book because it centers on identity and self discovery of oneself and I enjoy it overall. ( )
  jhcao20 | Apr 26, 2016 |
  lkmuir | Dec 1, 2015 |
For Mark
Some memories are slippery.

Jennifer and Cameron were best friends as children, drawn together because they were both social outsiders. Then Cameron disappears, and Jennifer hears he is dead. When Jennifer's mom marries, they can afford decent clothes and a better school. She transforms herself by losing weight and copying how the popular kids act, calls herself Jenna, and soon has many friends as well as a boyfriend. Then Cameron reappears, and Jenna/Jennifer has to decide who she really is.

As children, Jennifer Harris and Cameron Quick were both social outcasts. They were also one another's only friend. So when Cameron disappears without warning, Jennifer thinks she's lost the only person who will ever understand her. Now in high school, Jennifer has been transformed. Known as Jenna, she's popular, happy, and dating, everything "Jennifer" couldn't be---but she still can't shake the memory of her long-lost friend.

When Cameron suddenly reappears, they are both confronted with memories of their shared past and the drastically different paths their lives have taken.

From the National Book Award nominated author of Story of a Girl, Sweethearts is a story about the power of memory, the bond of friendship, and the quiet resilience of our childhood hearts.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:07 -0400)

After losing her soul mate, Cameron, when they were nine, Jennifer, now seventeen, transformed herself from the unpopular fat girl into the beautiful and popular Jenna, but Cameron's unexpected return dredges up memories that cause both social and emotional turmoil.… (more)

Sara Zarr is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,434,299 books! | Top bar: Always visible