Sweethearts by Sara Zarr

by Sara Zarr

Member:laura_loved
Title:Sweethearts
Authors:Sara Zarr
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 217 pages
Collections:Read in 2012
Rating:***

Sweethearts by Sara Zarr

How To Say Goodbye In Robot by Natalie Standiford (weener)
    weener: Both interesting books about not-really-romantic love relationships between young people.
    Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen (writemeg)

Dos amigos se separan y años después se reencuentran. Sus vidas han cambiado totalmente, pero ¿ha cambiado su amistad?

Esta es una bellisima historia sobre el poder del amor y la amistad. Totalmente realista y conmovedora. Con personajes muy bien desarrollados y una trama cautivadora.

Me involucre tanto con los personajes que quisiera que el final fuera totalmente distinto, pero como dije, esta es una historia realista y en la vida real los "felices para siempre" no existen.

Uno de mis favoritos de todos los tiempos. ( )
  Glire | Jul 7, 2014 |
Jennifer only had one friend as a child, Cameron Quick. But, something happened on Jennifer's 9th birthday at Cameron's house. Not long after that, Cameron disappeared without a word. Jennifer was devastated when she later found out Cameron had died. Now, she's 17 and in high school. She completely “remade” herself (including changing her name to Jenna), has a group of friends, and even a boyfriend. What a shock when Cameron suddenly returns into her life...

I really enjoyed this. It was quick to read. I have to say, though, that I wasn't crazy about the ending. I thought it was kind of abrupt and left a lot of loose ends. Maybe it didn't, but it felt that way to me. Overall, I'm still giving this 4 stars for the rest of the story, though. ( )
  LibraryCin | Apr 30, 2014 |
I think this was a really well-written YA novel, that dealt with some heavy topics - about identity and self-discovery, about friendship and growing up, about what we tell people & what we keep to ourselves - in well thought out ways. It was an intriguing premise - what if someone you thought had died, someone who knew you as a child, before you'd made so many 'improvements' and changes to yourself, suddenly reappeared? What would you have to face about your past, about yourself, about your relationships? I don't know: there was a lot here, and I liked that the author didn't hand out any simple answers to impossible questions (while at the same time providing a satisfying conclusion to the story). Good book: liked it a lot. ( )
  NTE | Sep 20, 2013 |
There are some friends in my past, from high school and college, that I really miss. I don't know why I lost touch with them but I did. I am talking about people I feel that marked me in an indelible way and yet somehow situations shifted and we were no longer in touch. This was before cell phones and emails, maybe it would be different now, if I was growing up now. Maybe not. But every now and again I am sad about it, about the loss of them -- wondering where we would be as friends if I had done what I was supposed to and stayed in touch. I guess regret is normal with the passing of time. But it sucks.

What if you had a chance to meet that person again that you miss so much? How would it be? If you ran in to them now, talked to them now, who you are now .. and they just join your current life now, as you are now. What would happen? Do you stay who you are or do you revert, degress, devolve? Can this fantasy ever turn out good?

Sweethearts tries to answer this question. [a:Sara Zarr|19093|Sara Zarr|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1302718823p2/19093.jpg] does it in her typical fashion with richly crafted characters that appear in situations that seem so real and solid that I may have experienced them at one point in my life.

Even though it is a mere 217 pages, this book addresses in a thorough manner parental neglect, childhood abuse, bullying, overeating, and the stress of high school social relationships. I am not sure how Zarr manages to do it, but she is brilliant. Despite my love for this book, [b:Story of a Girl|33906|Story of a Girl|Sara Zarr|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1344270520s/33906.jpg|2420507] and [b:How to Save a Life|10757806|How to Save a Life|Sara Zarr|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1337211222s/10757806.jpg|14982110] are my favorites by her so far. But it is a silly ranking, maybe even a waste of time because all three are amazing. When this story ended I cried. I cried for the characters and maybe I cried for myself. It isn't a sad book or a depressing book, but it is real. ( )
  ReginaR | Aug 3, 2013 |
Jennifer changes her looks and her life but cannot forget the experiences of her childhood and her first friend/love. Told in flashbacks with increasing promises of horrors of the past, this was a dramatic and memorable read. ( )
  lindap69 | Apr 5, 2013 |
For Mark
Some memories are slippery.

Jennifer and Cameron were best friends as children, drawn together because they were both social outsiders. Then Cameron disappears, and Jennifer hears he is dead. When Jennifer's mom marries, they can afford decent clothes and a better school. She transforms herself by losing weight and copying how the popular kids act, calls herself Jenna, and soon has many friends as well as a boyfriend. Then Cameron reappears, and Jenna/Jennifer has to decide who she really is.

As children, Jennifer Harris and Cameron Quick were both social outcasts. They were also one another's only friend. So when Cameron disappears without warning, Jennifer thinks she's lost the only person who will ever understand her. Now in high school, Jennifer has been transformed. Known as Jenna, she's popular, happy, and dating, everything "Jennifer" couldn't be---but she still can't shake the memory of her long-lost friend.

When Cameron suddenly reappears, they are both confronted with memories of their shared past and the drastically different paths their lives have taken.

From the National Book Award nominated author of Story of a Girl, Sweethearts is a story about the power of memory, the bond of friendship, and the quiet resilience of our childhood hearts.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:39 -0400)

After losing her soul mate, Cameron, when they were nine, Jennifer, now seventeen, transformed herself from the unpopular fat girl into the beautiful and popular Jenna, but Cameron's unexpected return dredges up memories that cause both social and emotional turmoil.… (more)

Sara Zarr is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,881,698 books! | Top bar: Always visible