Sweethearts by Sara Zarr

by Sara Zarr

Member:laura_loved
Title:Sweethearts
Authors:Sara Zarr
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 217 pages
Collections:Read in 2012
Rating:***

Sweethearts by Sara Zarr

How To Say Goodbye In Robot by Natalie Standiford (weener)
    weener: Both interesting books about not-really-romantic love relationships between young people.
    Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen (writemeg)

Jennifer and Cameron Quick are friends when they were young. When Cameron goes missing and disappears on Jennifer's 9th birthday, she is devastated to find out Cameron had died. Presumably dead, Jennifer moves with her life. Now age 17, she have completely change and establish a new identity from changing her real name to "Jenna", having a new set of friends, and having a boyfriend. Suddenly when Cameron appears and enter Jennifer's life, she's quickly confuse as to what she wants in life. Cameron's return prompts questions from her friends to her boyfriend to her mom about her life between her and Cameron.

I always have moments where I miss a dear close friend, family member, and stranger because the bond between me and them are gone or short. And reading this book has prompt me to question those lost of losing someone after being gone from their life. Even being a different person after years have passed can question my true identity as to who I want to be in life when a traumatic event in my past is triggered to awaken my conscious of a memorable moment. Sometimes, I live in denial of a life I don't want to be but still do knowing how difficult to be honest with myself. It can cost me the losses of being with others especially when I tell a different story to my friends and relatives that aren't true or believable. I love this book because it centers on identity and self discovery of oneself and I enjoy it overall. ( )
  jhcao20 | Apr 26, 2016 |
  lkmuir | Dec 1, 2015 |
Dos amigos se separan y años después se reencuentran. Sus vidas han cambiado totalmente, pero ¿ha cambiado su amistad?

Esta es una bellisima historia sobre el poder del amor y la amistad. Totalmente realista y conmovedora. Con personajes muy bien desarrollados y una trama cautivadora.

Me involucre tanto con los personajes que quisiera que el final fuera totalmente distinto, pero como dije, esta es una historia realista y en la vida real los "felices para siempre" no existen.

Uno de mis favoritos de todos los tiempos. ( )
  Glire | Jul 7, 2014 |
Jennifer only had one friend as a child, Cameron Quick. But, something happened on Jennifer's 9th birthday at Cameron's house. Not long after that, Cameron disappeared without a word. Jennifer was devastated when she later found out Cameron had died. Now, she's 17 and in high school. She completely “remade” herself (including changing her name to Jenna), has a group of friends, and even a boyfriend. What a shock when Cameron suddenly returns into her life...

I really enjoyed this. It was quick to read. I have to say, though, that I wasn't crazy about the ending. I thought it was kind of abrupt and left a lot of loose ends. Maybe it didn't, but it felt that way to me. Overall, I'm still giving this 4 stars for the rest of the story, though. ( )
  LibraryCin | Apr 30, 2014 |
I think this was a really well-written YA novel, that dealt with some heavy topics - about identity and self-discovery, about friendship and growing up, about what we tell people & what we keep to ourselves - in well thought out ways. It was an intriguing premise - what if someone you thought had died, someone who knew you as a child, before you'd made so many 'improvements' and changes to yourself, suddenly reappeared? What would you have to face about your past, about yourself, about your relationships? I don't know: there was a lot here, and I liked that the author didn't hand out any simple answers to impossible questions (while at the same time providing a satisfying conclusion to the story). Good book: liked it a lot. ( )
  NTE | Sep 20, 2013 |
For Mark
Some memories are slippery.

Jennifer and Cameron were best friends as children, drawn together because they were both social outsiders. Then Cameron disappears, and Jennifer hears he is dead. When Jennifer's mom marries, they can afford decent clothes and a better school. She transforms herself by losing weight and copying how the popular kids act, calls herself Jenna, and soon has many friends as well as a boyfriend. Then Cameron reappears, and Jenna/Jennifer has to decide who she really is.

As children, Jennifer Harris and Cameron Quick were both social outcasts. They were also one another's only friend. So when Cameron disappears without warning, Jennifer thinks she's lost the only person who will ever understand her. Now in high school, Jennifer has been transformed. Known as Jenna, she's popular, happy, and dating, everything "Jennifer" couldn't be---but she still can't shake the memory of her long-lost friend.

When Cameron suddenly reappears, they are both confronted with memories of their shared past and the drastically different paths their lives have taken.

From the National Book Award nominated author of Story of a Girl, Sweethearts is a story about the power of memory, the bond of friendship, and the quiet resilience of our childhood hearts.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:07 -0400)

After losing her soul mate, Cameron, when they were nine, Jennifer, now seventeen, transformed herself from the unpopular fat girl into the beautiful and popular Jenna, but Cameron's unexpected return dredges up memories that cause both social and emotional turmoil.… (more)

Sara Zarr is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,915,516 books! | Top bar: Always visible