Dawn by Elie Wiesel

Dawn (1961)

by Elie Wiesel

921None9,469 (3.77)31

English (12)  Greek (1)  All languages (13)
It wasn't quite like Night. It was more like a short story than a novel. I wanted to know more about both David ben Moshe and John Dawson. I think the characters backgrounds could have been developed more. Still, Weisel as always points out the reality of human nature and makes us all question ourselves. ( )
  Laurie.Schultz | Mar 15, 2014 |
A riveting story told by a survivor of a concentration camp who struggles with his conscience as he is called on to be an executioner. ( )
  charlie68 | Aug 20, 2013 |
This is the story of just one night, the night that a young man contemplates his task at dawn: killing a British soldier in retaliation for the death of an Israeli terrorist on the same morning. He thinks deeply on how his past brought him here and how this act will affect him in the future. A gripping and thoughtful book. ( )
  gbelik | Aug 13, 2013 |
Very well written...almost Dostoevskian, with a similar sort of religious existentialism. Wiesel makes the best argument I've ever heard for the so-called "cycle of violence"---but unfortunately, it's equivocal. The plot involves a distinction between cold-blooded acts of violence and those committed in the heat of the moment, but the theme depends on ignoring not only this distinction but any distinctions among any uses of force whatsoever (most significantly between an aggressor's initiation of force and the victim's retaliatory use of force in self-defense). ( )
  AshRyan | Dec 18, 2011 |
"Night", being a memoir, and "Dawn", being a novel, are profoundly different books; although, tied together by the Holocaust (a catastrophe that the young Eliezer lives through in "Night", and that haunts Elisha in "Day"). This point being made, I will admit that I still enjoy "Night" (and also "Day") more than "Dawn"; however, I do feel that if one is going to read "Dawn" that they should begin the book with the understanding that it is going to be different from "Night", and to approach this work as such.

I admire "Dawn" for its writing style, and the philosophical issues that Wiesel examines through Elisha. The aesthetics of style reminded me of a those books that have been written in the post-Kafka tradition (Judaic overtones, the nature of the absurd, and a nightmare-like quality). The issues of evil, death, and aftermath are poignant and haunting. Through the implied death of David ben Moshe and actual execution of the British Colonel we see the spiritual demise of Elisha - and the absurd nature of differences (are we so very different or are we the same?). ( )
  wenzowsa | Nov 30, 2011 |
Somewhere a child began to cry.

“The author…has built knowledge into artistic fiction.”—The New York Times Book Review

Elisha is a young Jewish man, a Holocaust survivor, and an Israeli freedom fighter in British-controlled Palestine; John Dawson is the captured English officer he will murder at dawn in retribution for the British execution of a fellow freedom fighter. The night-long wait for morning and death provides Dawn, Elie Wiesel’s ever more timely novel, with its harrowingly taut, hour-by-hour narrative. Caught between the manifold horrors of the past and the troubling dilemmas of the present, Elisha wrestles with guilt, ghosts, and ultimately God as he waits for the appointed hour and his act of assassination. Dawn is an eloquent meditation on the compromises, justifications, and sacrifices that human beings make when they murder other human beings.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:50 -0400)

Deals with the conflicts and thoughts of a young Jewish concentration-camp veteran as he prepares to assassinate a British hostage in occupied Palestine.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,406,899 books! | Top bar: Always visible