Welcome to Your Brain: Why You Lose Your Car…

Welcome to Your Brain: Why You Lose Your Car Keys but Never Forget How to… (2008)

by Sandra Aamodt, Sam Wang

We use our brains at practically every moment of our lives, and yet few of us have the first idea how they work. Much of what we think we know comes from folklore: that we only use 10 percent of our brain, or that drinking kills brain cells. These and other myths are wrong, as shown by neuroscientists who have spent decades studying this complex organ. However, most of what they have learned is not known to the world outside their laboratories. Here, the authors dispel common myths about the brain and provide a comprehensive, useful overview of how it really works. You'll discover how to cope with jet lag, how your brain affects your religion, and how men's and women's brains differ. With accessible prose decorated by charts, trivia, quizzes, and illustrations, this book is suitable for quick reference or extended reading.--From publisher description.… (more)

This book was fantastic. It is told from the point of view of an old man in a nursing home looking back on his life as part of a travelling circus. The chapters switch back and forth between the past and the present, and together, they present a moving, unforgettable story. The circus story is bizarre, but doesn't go too far and is still believable and extremely interesting. The story from the nursing home is moving and deals a lot with the emotional aspects of growing older and coming to terms with it. Overall, a great book, and I can not wait to read more from Gruen! ( )
  Borrows-N-Wants | Sep 22, 2018 |
I raced through this. Basically just a great, entertaining read. It won't profoundly change my life or anything, but I did get to find out lots of cool stuff about circuses and elephants, and spent a wonderful few hours at the big top. ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
I was afraid to read this book because I don't like circuses and the animals in them are so sad to me. The book was NOT a glorification of circus life - quite the opposite. It was an amazing novel. I loved both young and old Jankowski. Circus life was horrible in the 1930's but so was a lot of life.
  ioplibrarian | Aug 26, 2018 |
Very well written. The intriguing narrative gave an exclusive behind-the-scenes look into a world few people get to experience. It was difficult to put down; the characters were so well-developed, I found myself nearly desperate to get to the resolution of each conflict, big or small. ( )
  Erica_Coomer | Jul 13, 2018 |
My favorite book to date. Beautiful story! A must-read! ( )
  Bookapotamus | Jun 27, 2018 |

Aamodt, Sandraprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wang, Sammain authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,744,352 books! | Top bar: Always visible