Star People by Paul Burston

Star People

by Paul Burston

101880,191 (3)None
adult (1) America (1) anna20 (1) British (1) fiction (1) gay (1) gay fiction (1) Hollywood (1) library (1) movie stars (1) novel (1) read (1)

I thought this book was ok, I read it all and wanted to know what happened at the end, but it wasn't brilliant. I was actually quite dissapointed, because I got it because I like 'Lovers and Losers' by Burston.
I didn't really think this book had much of a plot and nothing really happened in the first 100 pages either. Like others have said this is more like an essay on the clichés of Hollywood and it is true. Not only that, a lot of the text seems to be simply copied and pasted further on in the book. For example, Matt Walsh being a bad actor, then he is an ok actor but he may play himself, then more discussion and background knowledge about his acting abilities. There are many other examples of the same things being repeated over and over again. There are also many characters that are talked about in depth, but bear no relation to the plot, or even next page.
Also the back cover talks about how Simon Fowler could ruin everything, but he does not actually play a big part in the book.
I also found some of the clichés unnecessary. Like Casey, the gay who is also a Catholic, who also enjoys ritualistic orgies. Really? And Lee Carson the mean manager. I also found it, not sexist, but maybe a little misogynistic. For example one part said something like 'PRs are often bitches (they are usually women)'. I don't think it was sexist in any way, but in a book or the world of the author, it just seems to portray heterosexual women as nasty. It is often unnecessarily crude in places too, like on page 148 'he was young, dumb and full of cum'.
I like Burston as an author, I really enjoyed Lovers and Losers, so much so that I made my friend buy it (it was 20p) and he uses a large vocabulary but I just don't think this was his best book. ( )
  sweetie_candykim | Jun 17, 2010 |

Sex, drugs, diva tantrums: if you're on the A list, you can get away with murder but there's still one taboo left in Hollywood. If you're an all-action movie star hero, and you're gay, then your home is in the closet. End of discussion. Matt Walsh is at the very top of the Hollywood ladder. He easily commands $20 million per film, and every one is a box office smash. But Walsh has a secret: his lover Billy West, a rent-boy with the fragility of Monroe and the body of Brad Pitt. When British hack Simon Fowler is sent out to write a grovelling vanity piece on Walsh, he unearths the star's secret life, and a story that could destroy him. Walsh has a long way to fall, and he could take a lot of people with him. Star People hops over the velvet rope and points its telephoto lens at a cast of stars, hookers, paparazzi and scarier-than-hell PR bitches. The result is a smart, fast-paced and wildly entertaining novel about love, fame, jealousy... and murder.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,073,886 books! | Top bar: Always visible