Circle of Friends by Maeve Binchy

Circle of Friends (edition 2007)

by Maeve Binchy

Member:karmabodhi
Title:Circle of Friends
Authors:Maeve Binchy
Info:Dell (2007), Paperback, 608 pages
Tags:irish fiction, irish literature

Circle of Friends by Maeve Binchy

Recently added byKeelz09, Likeitorlumpit, BookHavenAZ, aharey, private library, RobertPop, LitaVore, cookierooks, Fips

English (42)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  Lithuanian (1)  English (45)
A good, readable story set in Ireland. ( )
  FoxTribeMama | Sep 20, 2016 |
I read this almost as a joke when I working for Dad and the secretary left it behind. It had chick-lit written all over it and that is like kryptonite to me. But I had to say it hooked me and it is a lovely story as was the film ( )
  Gary_Power | Jul 10, 2016 |
‘A Circle of Friends’ is a story that I read after returning from a memorable and enjoyable time walking the streets of Dublin with our daughter, Genevieve, who resides in the city. As such, the story had a new context for me, as I recalled the lovely setting of picturesque places, such as the beach promenade at Dun Laoghaire or the tranquil park of St. Stephens Green. With the setting in mind, I was enthralled with the novel, feeling closer to the characters, as I felt like I was revisiting Dublin again.
If not for my connection to the setting, I don’t know that I would have completed this 722-page odyssey. The story was heartwarming and detailed, taking the reader into the lives of several characters who mostly generated from a small village in the outskirts of Dublin called Knockglen. Benny is a warm-hearted and large young girl who befriends Eve, an orphan who lives with the nuns in the village monastery. As the years progress, Eve and Benny continue in their friendship, as they both attend the University College of Dublin where they encircle themselves with other relationships to which the story is developed.
In this saga, Maeve Binchey introduces the reader to the lives of numerous secondary characters in the the village of Knockglen, such as Patsy the Hogan’s maid. Although Binchey’s efforts portray the convivial spirit of a small Irish village, I felt that for the sake of brevity in developing the plot, some editing might have been worthy.
For me, I was so entranced with all the locations that were mentioned in the story that I couldn’t wait to read further. ‘Circle of Friends’ is not a provocative or intriguing story, but it is what I would call a ‘comfort’ novel instead. The characters are well developed and the reader is acclimated to the relationships that Benny and Eve forge as they find their way into adulthood. ( )
  haymaai | Jun 26, 2016 |
The movie, apparently, is a romance, and the ending where Jack and Benny marry? are engaged? spoils the whole point of the book. The book is a morality play. Nan does not deserve her fate. Nor does Heather. And Kit gave up a lovely boarding house just to get married. But at least Benny is not going to marry a womanizer and is going to have her own life, at least for awhile before marrying, which I guess is a big deal in the 50s in Ireland. I found the most interesting characters to be Mr. Flood, Clodagh, Fonsie, and some of the other supporting cast. For all I know though, there wasn't room for them in the movie.

I read this because I loved [b:A Week in Winter|16030647|A Week in Winter|Maeve Binchy|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1362466513s/16030647.jpg|21746515] (which I read for a book club). I will look for more by the author, but I expect I will not read her entire oeuvre. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Enjoyable saga novel based in Ireland, revolving around some schoolfriends as they grow up. Some surprises, which I had totally forgotten since last time I read it - probably at least ten years ago - and overall a pleasant book, with interesting descriptions of life in convent schools, and student life in Ireland in the 1950s. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |

Maeve Binchyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Huigen, RenéTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thomése, FransTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Valster, G.M.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To dearest Gordon with all my love
The kitchen was full of the smells of baking.

It began with Benny Hogan and Eve Malone, growing up, inseparable, in the village of Knockglen. Benny—the only child, yearning to break free from her adoring parents...Eve—the orphaned offspring of a convent handyman and a rebellious blueblood, abandoned by her mother's wealthy family to be raised by nuns. Eve and Benny—they knew the sins and secrets behind every villager's lace curtains...except their own.

It widened at Dublin, at the university where Benny and Eve met beautiful Nan Mahlon and Jack Foley, a doctor's handsome son. But heartbreak and betrayal would bring the worlds of Knockglen and Dublin into explosive collision. Long-hidden lies would emerge to test the meaning of love and the strength of ties held within the fragile gold bands of a...Circle Of Friends.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:44 -0400)

Mellem to unge piger udvikler sig et ubrydeligt venskab, som trods store forskelle i arv og milj? hjlper dem gennem mange genvordigheder hjemme i landsbyen og under studiea rene i 1950'ernes Dublin.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,641,349 books! | Top bar: Always visible