Circle of Friends by Maeve Binchy

Circle of Friends (edition 2007)

by Maeve Binchy

Member:bookwormteri
Title:Circle of Friends
Authors:Maeve Binchy
Info:Dell (2007), Paperback, 608 pages
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, ireland, friends, 2012

Circle of Friends by Maeve Binchy

English (38)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  Lithuanian (1)  All languages (41)
Enjoyable saga novel based in Ireland, revolving around some schoolfriends as they grow up. Some surprises, which I had totally forgotten since last time I read it - probably at least ten years ago - and overall a pleasant book, with interesting descriptions of life in convent schools, and student life in Ireland in the 1950s. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
Weak - story of 3 Irish girls - growing up their friendship at school weaving in w/ boys - okay
Predictable.

Big, generous-hearted Benny and the elfin Eve Malone have been best friends growing up in sleepy Knockglen. Their one thought is to get to Dublin, to university and to freedom...

On their first day at University College, Dublin, the inseparable pair are thrown together with fellow students Nan Mahon, beautiful but selfish, and handsome Jack Foley. But trouble is brewing for Benny and Eve's new circle of friends, and before long, they find passion, tragedy - and the independence they yearned for.
  christinejoseph | Dec 12, 2015 |
This book was fantastic. It does a really great job of showing the kinds of friends you have in your life, and the roles they play. I highly recommend it. ( )
  Ambo_O | Oct 21, 2014 |
Fourth? Fifth time I've read it...

Read from July 06 to August 03, 2014

How do you write a review of one of your favorite novels without just gushing about how much you love it? I've loved this book for years & read it many times -- it was the first Maeve Binchy book I read( it definitely wasn't the last). I went on to read pretty much everything she wrote. (It was in the days of large mass market paperback selections at KMart and for whatever reason they had all of Ms. Binchy's novels.) I let someone borrow my much-read copy of that 1990s Circle of Friends mmp, but recently found this movie tie-in cover (ew!). Luckily the characters and their words are still the same. :-)

I still love Benny and Eve (and re-discovered that Benny thought she'd be a librarian -- did she inspire me?). I despise Nan and hate how stupid Jack is. I love the little town of Knockglen and the wonderfully, colorful characters that make this book sparkle.

Now I'm thinking it's time re-visit another early-Binchy novel...perhaps Light a Penny Candle next.

Reading Progress

07/16 marked as: currently-reading

08/02 page 396 70.0% "Wake up, Annabel! Smarmy Sean is being smarmy!"
08/03 page 507 90.0% "Don't be daft, Benny! Jack is really just as smarmy as Smarmy Sean...he just hides it with charm."
08/03 page 512 91.0% "Have I mentioned how much I despise Nan?!"
08/03 page 560 100.0% "After all these years still one of my favorite books."

08/14 marked as: read ( )
1 vote melissarochelle | Sep 13, 2014 |
Set in 1950s Dublin and fictitious town of Knockglen in rural Ireland. Friends Bernadette 'Benny' Hogan and orphan Eve Malone grow up in a small town and whilst Benny goes to university, Eve struggles to find her feet and the money to do so. They meet the ambitious Nan Mahon and the handsome Jack Foley. A story of friendships, first love and the loss of both of them.

An interesting cast of characters and a comfortable read. ( )
1 vote DebbieMcCauley | Feb 16, 2014 |

Maeve Binchyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Huigen, RenéTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thomése, FransTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Valster, G.M.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To dearest Gordon with all my love
The kitchen was full of the smells of baking.

It began with Benny Hogan and Eve Malone, growing up, inseparable, in the village of Knockglen. Benny—the only child, yearning to break free from her adoring parents...Eve—the orphaned offspring of a convent handyman and a rebellious blueblood, abandoned by her mother's wealthy family to be raised by nuns. Eve and Benny—they knew the sins and secrets behind every villager's lace curtains...except their own.

It widened at Dublin, at the university where Benny and Eve met beautiful Nan Mahlon and Jack Foley, a doctor's handsome son. But heartbreak and betrayal would bring the worlds of Knockglen and Dublin into explosive collision. Long-hidden lies would emerge to test the meaning of love and the strength of ties held within the fragile gold bands of a...Circle Of Friends.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:44 -0400)

Mellem to unge piger udvikler sig et ubrydeligt venskab, som trods store forskelle i arv og milj? hjlper dem gennem mange genvordigheder hjemme i landsbyen og under studiea rene i 1950'ernes Dublin.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,900,743 books! | Top bar: Always visible