Beauty & The Beast by Charles Willard Moore

Beauty & The Beast

by Charles Willard Moore

631,268,033 (2.5)None

Beauty and the Best illustrated by Charles Moore, is different from the story of Beauty and the Beast that i know. In this story the author reveals more about Beauty's life than the Beast. We learn Beauty has two sisters who are not kind like she is. Beauty's kindness leads her to take her father's place when given the option to do so by the Beast. She must go of her own free will, and she does. However, the Beast is very kind to Beauty from the very beginning. Beauty acknowledges his kindness, but refuses to marry him because of his ugly appearance. It is not until Beauty is allowed to return home that she realizes she could love the Beast. He warns her that he will die of sorrow if she does not return. Stricken with guilt after not returning after the seven days he had set, she finally returns.
The style of the story reveals a completely new stay of Beauty and the Beast where Beauty could be seen as the villain. Although, she is described kind, the story the author tells reveals a shallow Beauty who will not marry someone who is kind because of their ugly appearance. The story is also written in a very formal matter. ( )
  sschilling | Oct 8, 2017 |
I love the classic (disney) Beauty and the Beast tale (I even have a "Tale as old as time" tattoo) but I did not enjoy this version as much as I'd hoped I would. The language is antiquated and I don't think children would enjoy it but this book could have been written for an older audience. The illustrations are also odd using watercolor paintings with clumsy outlines that combine to make generally unappealing pictures. ( )
  ilonon | Mar 16, 2017 |
I didn't like the illustrations, but I found the book interesting. The story centers around a widowed merchant and his three daughters. When the merchant lost his fortune, they had to move and work. When the merchant received a letter that he had merchandise, his elder daughters begged him to bring them back dresses and jewels. But Beauty, his youngest daughter, wanted a rose. After paying off his debt, the merchant couldn't afford to buy his daughters anything and on his way home he lodged in a palace to hide from the storm. Yet, it was on his way home that he decided to pick a rose for Beauty when he came across the beast. The story does well to present loving someone based on their inner qualities, such as friendship and trust, rather than their outer appearance. ( )
  jwesley | Mar 1, 2015 |

Through her great capacity to love, a kind and beautiful maid releases a handsome prince from the spell which has made him an ugly beast.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:03 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,770,286 books! | Top bar: Always visible