The Rejection Collection Vol. 2: The Cream…

The Rejection Collection Vol. 2: The Cream of the Crap

by Matthew Diffee

#3 read 2008 (1) 1st (2) 2000s (1) @Campbell (1) American (1) cartoons (13) comic (2) comic strips (1) comics (1) Comics: New Yorker NOT! (1) CP (1) culled (1) dj (1) E (1) fiction (1) funny (2) gift (1) hardcover (1) hb (1) humor (14) mooched (1) New Yorker (6) non-fiction (1) own (1) Panel (1) read (1) read in 2009 (1) read in 2013 (1) unowned (1) unread (4)

A weak follow-up to the first collection. Only one or two of the cartoons included made me laugh. Scatology seemed over-represented (the subtitle "Cream of the Crap" might have been a clue). The cartoonists' self-completed bios were far more entertaining than their rejected cartoons in most cases. Diffee's explanation of the submission-to-rejection process is interesting and his appendix on reasons for rejection is more entertaining than some of the cartoons.

I may have been biased by an interview with Matthew Diffee that I heard on on National Public Radio before reading the book. Diffee explains a cartoon of his, beginning "It's [b:Che Guevara|172732|The Motorcycle Diaries Notes on a Latin American Journey|Ernesto Guevara|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1172407292s/172732.jpg|818488]--or however you say his name, I don't even know." "Sigmoidoscope," he says in relation to another cartoon, "I didn't know that was a real thing." In my head, I hear Hermione Granger: "What an idiot." I think less of Diffee after hearing him attempt to explain the cartoons, though his point that it's odd to narrate cartoons on the radio is well-taken. For his part, the interviewer also mangles the word "tyrannosaurus" ("tyrannus rex") and says it has "forepaws," which is rather shocking for Fresh Air. Since none of this reflects on the book per se, I have tried to put it aside.

In summary, the book was mildly entertaining, but for my money, the first collection is better. ( )
  OshoOsho | Mar 30, 2013 |
My God, this is funny. New Yorker cartoons -- on crack. ( )
  koeeoaddi | Mar 30, 2013 |
Same problem as Volume 1: just not that many funny cartoons. Again, the questionnaires by the cartoonists are the best part. ( )
  piemouth | Mar 26, 2013 |

A second volume of rejected "New Yorker" cartoonist submissions is comprised of works that were omitted for their over-the-top, controversial, or risque qualities, in a collection that also provides cartoonist profiles that offer insight into their creative processes.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,983,772 books! | Top bar: Always visible