Seaweed on the Street by Stanley Evans

Seaweed on the Street

by Stanley Evans

Series: Seaweed (1)

"I'm Coast Salish and I moved in here five years ago. Back then, storefront law-enforcement units manned by Aboriginal policemen were being hailed as bold experiments in social engineering. Nowadays, people complain that I'm running a hangout for the dregs of society. And why not? After all, crooks, drunks, hookers and cops derive from the same socioeconomic group. Cops and killers have similar levels of intelligence and ability, and the average murderer can be as charming as all get-out."

Meet Detective Silas Seaweed, a charming ladies man and formerly a member of the Victoria detective squad. Now a neighborhood cop, his 'neighborhood' involves the colourful elements of society where Seaweed is to be out of sight and out of mind of headquarters, so long as he can keep himself out of trouble, that is. When uniformed branch sergeant George Barton has Seaweed meet him out at billionaire Calvert Hunt's Foul Bay Road estate, Seaweed finds himself re-examining a 5 year old murder case and is recruited by the billionaire to search for his daughter Marcia who went missing of her own accord some 20 years previously. This trail leads Seaweed into further nasty business with a ruthless pimp, a new unsolved killing to make sense of and an attempt on his own life.

This is the first book in what is currently a six book police procedural series written by a local Victorian writer I had never heard of before stumbling across a mention of this series here on LT. This one had a lot of positives for me: Interesting street savvy lead character who tends to follow his own rules and is used to operating in that grey area that is not quite the law; solid writing; a complex, steady moving plot; characters with some substance to them; good attention to detail all interwoven with interpretations of traditional Salish tribal ceremonies and rituals made this a great Sunday read for me that was hard to put down until I finished it. Yes, the local setting is nice icing on the cake for a Victorian gal like me but shouldn't detract from non-Victorian's being able to enjoy this one and the series in general.

Yes, I will continue reading this series, if anything to find out what Seaweed gets up to next. ( )
1 vote lkernagh | Jul 30, 2012 |
Man does what he thinks is right at the time. Looking back, you think about what you could have done better. That stuff can drive you crazy if you dwell on it.

A gift from my sweety.

Pretensions, conspiracy, lies ... all play a part in this riveting book that kicks off TouchWood Editions' new mystery series featuring Coast Salish investigator Silas Seaweed. A billionaire's daughter with an unsavoury past has mysteriously disappeared. Silas Seaweed, a savvy, street-smart investigator based in Victoria, B.C., is put on the case. His search for the young woman leads him on a trail of murder, greed and obsessive violence. Overcoming such obstacles as a pair of ruthless cocaine dealers, the murder of key witnesses and a failed attempt on his own life, Seaweed perseveres in his quest to bring a master criminal to justice, his journey taking him from the darker side of Victoria's downtown to Nevada's glittering casinos. Blending modern-day crime detection with age-old Coast Salish ritual, Seaweed on the Street is an absorbing, suspenseful page-turner with a pace that never lets up from the first page to the last.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,412,052 books! | Top bar: Always visible