Death du Jour by Kathy Reichs

Death du Jour (original 1999; edition 2000)

by Kathy Reichs

Member:AHS-Wolfy
Title:Death du Jour
Authors:Kathy Reichs
Info:Arrow Books Ltd (2000), Edition: New edition, Paperback, 464 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:Crime, Forensics, Temperance Brennan, TBR

Death du Jour by Kathy Reichs (1999)

English (67)  Spanish (2)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All (71)
I started watching the TV show "Bones" (on Fox) last season, but I had known that the show was based on Kathy Reichs character Temperance Brennan. That's about all the similarities that there are between the TV show and the book. You could stretch and say that Quebec Detective Ryan is Seely Booth, but that's reeealllyyy reaching it.

I like a good mystery, detective novel, and this book does not fail me! Not only is there a nice chunk of CSI thrown in there is also one of my favorite topics, cults.

So we've got murder to be investigated, suspects to interview and cults to figure out. LOVE IT! I zipped through this book pretty quickly. Reichs is a fine writer, and the character of Dr. Brennan is a little more socially adept than the TV version.

If you like the show, you'll most likely like the book too just as long as you realize that there is absolutely nothing in the book that lends itself to the TV show. ( )
  wendithegray | May 1, 2017 |
This is the second in the Temperance Brennan series, and the second Kathy Reichs book I've read. This is definitely going to be a series I carry on with.

As before, Tempe is a realistic professional woman: her love-life isn't great, but it's not some kind of disaster-zone either; she has decent relationships with co-workers without unrealistic drama; her relationship with her daughter is pretty normal. It's such a relief to read about a woman who isn't, despite being some kind of gun-toting, wisecracking superhero, strangely needy and incompetent in the daily tasks of life.

I like Tempe: she's so normal.

This time, Tempe is dealing with the aftermath of an arson attack, with a side-plot examining the bones of a nineteenth-century nun. Naturally, neither of these cases is entirely straightforward.

As before, we get useful forensic information as various corpses are examined - I always like the technical detail. :-) As before, there's a personal element, which the reader can see coming a mile off.

All in all, a fast-paced murder-mystery, which I read pretty much in one sitting. On to the next... :-) ( )
  T_K_Elliott | Mar 12, 2017 |
At the risk of losing my entire review again from power outage. I'll keep this short.

The book was good. Yes, just generically good. I got annoyed with some of the repetitiveness of Dr. Brennan's actions (or lack there of) particularly in reference to what she needed to get done in her down time. I also was not a fan of unnecessarily keeping the reader in the dark on a rather trivial matter. It didn't add or detract from the story in any way, it just left us wondering what Brennan saw in the bones. It didn't even relate to her cases, really.

Most importantly, I didn't read the first book in the series, so if looking here for whether that's going to put you behind or not, I'd say you'll be fine. You miss a little bit of background information, but it's easy to fill in the blanks. ( )
  cebellol | Jan 10, 2017 |
3.5 Stars ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |
Nothing much to say, it is OK as a distraction. ( )
  Gerardlionel | Apr 1, 2016 |
To all who survived the Great Quebec Ice Storm of 1998. Nous nous souvenons.
If the bodies were there, I couldn't find them.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671011375, Mass Market Paperback)

"In Quebec, winters can be slow for the forensic anthropologist. The temperature rarely rises above freezing. The rivers and lakes ice over, the ground turns rock hard, and snow buries everything. Bugs disappear, and many scavengers go underground. The result: Corpses do not putrefy in the great outdoors. Floaters are not pulled from the St. Lawrence... and some of last season's dead are not found until the spring melt."

Readers of Kathy Reichs's cool and clever first forensic thriller Déjà Dead will recognize the ironic voice of Tempe (short for Temperance) Brennan, the North Carolina-born scientist who winds up working at the Laboratoire de Médicine Légale in Montreal. Here she bristles at the conservative attitudes of some of her Canadian colleagues.

Despite the cold weather, Tempe's workload quickly becomes heavy: the bones of a long-dead nun now up for sainthood have been moved and tampered with; a deadly house fire turns out to be arson; and a university teaching assistant disappears after joining a cult. Tempe must figure out where (and why) all the bodies are buried in the hard Canadian ground. Her investigations take her home to North Carolina, and to a strange colony living on an offshore island.

Unlike certain other writers who specialize in forensic pathology, Reichs doesn't revel in the horror of death or rub our noses in gore: she uses the science of death to reveal rather than to shock or startle. It definitely makes for easier reading--especially at mealtimes. --Dick Adler

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:53 -0400)

From Quebec or Montreal to the Carolinas, deaths and disappearances have come to the attention of forensic anthropologist Temperance Brennan. But what do all those events have to do with a century old corpse? At the crime scenes, in the morgue, or in the lab, her forensic expertise are constantly being tested.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,455,835 books! | Top bar: Always visible