Death du Jour by Kathy Reichs

Death du Jour (original 1999; edition 2000)

by Kathy Reichs

Member:AHS-Wolfy
Title:Death du Jour
Authors:Kathy Reichs
Info:Arrow Books Ltd (2000), Edition: New edition, Paperback, 464 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:Crime, Forensics, Temperance Brennan, TBR

Death Du Jour by Kathy Reichs (1999)

English (55)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (58)
The second novel in the Temperance Brennan series starts with Temperance digging up a really old nun (or more specifically her bones) and soon after she finds herself at a gruesome house fire where bodies keep piling up as well.

Also, there's a sort of cult-ish group involved and there are a couple of Brennan family subplots as well.

It's a very busy story. It takes place in both North Carolina and Quebec with what seems to me to be a whole lot of travel between the two places. There's much more Andrew Ryan and less Luc Claudel which I was a bit sad about since as gruff and unpredictable as Luc is, I find the character and his journey much more interesting than that of Detective Andy Ryan.

Some of the explanation that Reichs gave tended to drag on a bit. Perhaps because it was dry or maybe because some of the bug stuff especially I already knew. I had to work hard not to skim through the explanation sections.

On the whole it was another interesting (and distressing) mystery series that all hard core mystery lovers should read. ( )
  DanieXJ | Jul 22, 2014 |
Forensic anthropologist Tempe Brennan is in Quebec for a short time to help out some nuns. They are digging up the bones of a nun from 100 years earlier, as they want to make her a saint. While there, there is a fire that claims the lives of a number of people, so Tempe is called to help with that investigation. And there is more going on back home in North Carolina that she is called in to help with.

This is the second book in the series; I had accidentally ended up listening to an abridged version of the first book, so this one was nice to have more personal stuff happening, in addition to the cases she was working. I did figure out some of what might be happening before Tempe clued in, but I still really liked this one. ( )
  LibraryCin | Jun 13, 2014 |
The second in the Temperance Brennan series. I liked this one better than the first. It wasn't as long, the different locations added interest, you didn't have the too-used literary fallback of the heroine fighting gallantly to prove that what she knows to be right is, in fact, right. In short, I found it more interesting. Well- written and intriguing enough to keep me going on the series. ( )
  NellieMc | Jun 4, 2014 |

Maverynthia | May 5, 2014 |
Death Du Jour Unlike the first book this one is very slow to start. I wasn't interested in what was going on until halfway through the book when the action started and after figuring out what really was going on. The characters were dull and uninteresting and I really wasn't left guessing who was involved. It didn't hold my interest as the first book did as the pacing was way too slow. It also didn't have an interesting subplot to follow along with and try to throw you off the on who's doing what. ( )
  Maverynthia | May 5, 2014 |
To all who survived the Great Quebec Ice Storm of 1998. Nous nous souvenons.
If the bodies were there, I couldn't find them.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671011375, Mass Market Paperback)

"In Quebec, winters can be slow for the forensic anthropologist. The temperature rarely rises above freezing. The rivers and lakes ice over, the ground turns rock hard, and snow buries everything. Bugs disappear, and many scavengers go underground. The result: Corpses do not putrefy in the great outdoors. Floaters are not pulled from the St. Lawrence... and some of last season's dead are not found until the spring melt."

Readers of Kathy Reichs's cool and clever first forensic thriller Déjà Dead will recognize the ironic voice of Tempe (short for Temperance) Brennan, the North Carolina-born scientist who winds up working at the Laboratoire de Médicine Légale in Montreal. Here she bristles at the conservative attitudes of some of her Canadian colleagues.

Despite the cold weather, Tempe's workload quickly becomes heavy: the bones of a long-dead nun now up for sainthood have been moved and tampered with; a deadly house fire turns out to be arson; and a university teaching assistant disappears after joining a cult. Tempe must figure out where (and why) all the bodies are buried in the hard Canadian ground. Her investigations take her home to North Carolina, and to a strange colony living on an offshore island.

Unlike certain other writers who specialize in forensic pathology, Reichs doesn't revel in the horror of death or rub our noses in gore: she uses the science of death to reveal rather than to shock or startle. It definitely makes for easier reading--especially at mealtimes. --Dick Adler

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:44 -0400)

From Quebec or Montreal to the Carolinas, deaths and disappearances have come to the attention of forensic anthropologist Temperance Brennan. But what do all those events have to do with a century old corpse? At the crime scenes, in the morgue, or in the lab, her forensic expertise are constantly being tested.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,705,805 books! | Top bar: Always visible