Death du Jour by Kathy Reichs

Death du Jour (original 1999; edition 2000)

by Kathy Reichs

3,027None1,875 (3.73)24
Member:AHS-Wolfy
Title:Death du Jour
Authors:Kathy Reichs
Info:Arrow Books Ltd (2000), Edition: New edition, Paperback, 464 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:Crime, Forensics, Temperance Brennan, TBR

Death Du Jour by Kathy Reichs (1999)

English (50)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (53)
Fun, light, and easy. Fits with the spirit of the TV series Bones that spawned from this writer. I'm actually more fascinated with the actual author than the books. A good airplane/beach read. ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
I love the forensic thrillers. The stories are different. The medical/forensic information is great. Reichs stories, even though the personal relationships progress with each book, they are independent of each other. Great read! ( )
  Barbara31542 | Jan 22, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this book. I like the usage of French. The descriptions of the Carolinas were nice. They made me think of a warm summer's day.

Some of the autopsy and crime scene descriptions were quite graphic. The level of detail is incredible. ( )
  RKoletteL | Aug 22, 2013 |
The Catholic location is back in this second book by [a:Kathy Reichs|26372|Kathy Reichs|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1201288896p2/26372.jpg] as well as lots and lots of detail. Often I will skim past it, but that doesn't work with this author, because the detial is very important. The book is from 1999 and I am trying to read them in order so I can understand and experience the character development. This book gave me and interesting visit to the pre-digital camera era when Temperance uses a Polaroid for her work (pg.57). Unlike the previous book, email makes a 'matter of course' appearance.

Some of the foreshadowing is more annoying than tantalizing, such as "...Have you told her? Not yet.....(pg.173)
Also the part about Elisabeth Nicolet's face/skull went on too long. My feeling is that the author should just get on with it and avoid the multiple mystery storylines. The author should get on with it so readers can be in on the "joke" and stick to the main story. Temperance says "I knew instantly what it was and what it meant, and felt the sunshine go out of the day."(pg.181). Just tell us.

One great quote was "I resent those who see themselves as God's spokesman and next of kin, and am disturbef by people interpreting the Gospel to push a political agenda (pg.222).
  jlapac | Aug 14, 2013 |
Death Du Jour is the second novel in the Temperance Brennan series by author Kathy Reichs. Brennan is called to a house fire while she is is Montreal exhuming remains of a nun. A young family has been found burnt in the remains. There are no women and seemingly no clues as to arsonist. The investigation will lead Brennan onto the trail of Satan worshipers and religious cults.

The plot is an excelllent one, the action picks up straight awayRead the full review here ( )
  thecrimescene | Aug 9, 2013 |
To all who survived the Great Quebec Ice Storm of 1998. Nous nous souvenons.
If the bodies were there, I couldn't find them.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671011375, Mass Market Paperback)

"In Quebec, winters can be slow for the forensic anthropologist. The temperature rarely rises above freezing. The rivers and lakes ice over, the ground turns rock hard, and snow buries everything. Bugs disappear, and many scavengers go underground. The result: Corpses do not putrefy in the great outdoors. Floaters are not pulled from the St. Lawrence... and some of last season's dead are not found until the spring melt."

Readers of Kathy Reichs's cool and clever first forensic thriller Déjà Dead will recognize the ironic voice of Tempe (short for Temperance) Brennan, the North Carolina-born scientist who winds up working at the Laboratoire de Médicine Légale in Montreal. Here she bristles at the conservative attitudes of some of her Canadian colleagues.

Despite the cold weather, Tempe's workload quickly becomes heavy: the bones of a long-dead nun now up for sainthood have been moved and tampered with; a deadly house fire turns out to be arson; and a university teaching assistant disappears after joining a cult. Tempe must figure out where (and why) all the bodies are buried in the hard Canadian ground. Her investigations take her home to North Carolina, and to a strange colony living on an offshore island.

Unlike certain other writers who specialize in forensic pathology, Reichs doesn't revel in the horror of death or rub our noses in gore: she uses the science of death to reveal rather than to shock or startle. It definitely makes for easier reading--especially at mealtimes. --Dick Adler

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:44 -0400)

From Quebec or Montreal to the Carolinas, deaths and disappearances have come to the attention of forensic anthropologist Temperance Brennan. But what do all those events have to do with a century old corpse? At the crime scenes, in the morgue, or in the lab, her forensic expertise are constantly being tested.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,486,916 books! | Top bar: Always visible