Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Burns

Cold Sassy Tree (original 1984; edition 2007)

by Olive Ann Burns

Member:stephmo
Title:Cold Sassy Tree
Authors:Olive Ann Burns
Info:Mariner Books (2007), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:listsofbests to get
Tags:unowned, listsofbests, teenreads.com ultimate reading list

Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Burns (1984)

Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg (citygirl)
    citygirl: Small, Southern towns of yesteryear, with a folksy feel and entertaining characters.
    To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (bnbookgirl)
    A Painted House by John Grisham (dara85)
    Empire Falls by Richard Russo (readerbabe1984, readerbabe1984)
    Divining Women by Kaye Gibbons (shesinplainview)
    Unquiet Earth by Denise Giardina (readerbabe1984)
    Roxanna Slade by Reynolds Price (shesinplainview)
    The Reivers by William Faulkner (TheDivineOomba)
    TheDivineOomba: The Reivers by William Faulkner has a similar feel as Cold Sassy, with a similar leading character. But the Reivers is a bit more dark and has a more solid story.

My friend has a special relationship with this book. By a "relationship" I mean that she had a couple copies find her and so now we give her every copy we come across, sometimes 35 at a time. Despite having dozens of copies of this book pass through my hands, I had never actually stopped to read it. So when I spotted it on audio at the library, I decided to give it a shot.

This felt like a YA book before YA even became a genre. It's the story of young Will Tweedy in the town of Cold Sassy in 1906 and his family. After his grandmother died, his grandfather almost immediately married a much younger (Yankee) woman. The scandal of it spreads through the town. It's a story of Will's experiences from camping with his friends to getting run over by a train to finding out about his grandfather and Miss Love's relationship to the first new car in town (his father's!). Everyone feels like a real person I enjoyed getting to know. In fact, I cried at the ending; I really didn't see that coming. It was a wonderful look at a unique set of characters in a time and place I wouldn't have gotten to know otherwise. I definitely enjoyed it more than I thought I would. ( )
  katekintail | Jun 18, 2016 |
It has been quit a while since I read this book, but Olivia Ann Burns made enough of an impression on me in my early reading to seek out her works to date. Her sensitive, ever humorous, and inciteful tact in writing about my beloved South, reaffirms my own affection for the South - characters, red clay, warts, quirks, the never-ending tall-tales, escapades of freckled-faced kids & whiskered octogenarians! She paints vivid portraits of her charcters and theirs homes and towns. You can hear their words flow off the page, but maintain a tight grip on that book - you are going to have quite a few belly laughs, maybe a brief tear or two, mostly smiles of visiting a place called a fun place to call home. ( )
  CathyWoolbright | Apr 20, 2016 |
I tried to get into this one, but it's not catching my attention right now. I'm moving it back to my 'plan to read' shelf.
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |
This was a re-read for me. However, since I first, unknowingly, listened to an abridged audio version, I got quite a bit extra from this reading!! And I loved it! I definitely want to read the sequel :) ( )
  TerriS | Jan 17, 2016 |
@ Southern town family early century, prejudice + pride good

On July 5, 1906, scandal breaks in the small town of Cold Sassy, Georgia, when the proprietor of the general store, E. Rucker Blakeslee, elopes with Miss Love Simpson. He is barely three weeks a widower, and she is only half his age and a Yankee to boot. As their marriage inspires a whirlwind of local gossip, fourteen-year-old Will Tweedy suddenly finds himself eyewitness to a family scandal, and that’s where his adventures begin.
  christinejoseph | Nov 18, 2015 |
To Andy my beloved
To Becky and John our grown children
And to my father who was fourteen in 1906
Three weeks after Granny Blakeslee died, Grandpa came to our house for his early morning snort of whiskey, as usual, and said to me, "Will Tweedy? Go find your mama, then run up to yore Aunt Loma's and tell her I said git on down here. I got something to say. And I ain't a -go'n say it but once't."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 038531258X, Paperback)

If the preacher's wife's petticoat showed, the ladies would make the talk last a week. But on July 5, 1906, things took a scandalous turn. That was the day E. Rucker Blakeslee, proprietor of the general store and barely three weeks a widower, eloped with Miss Love Simpson—a woman half his age and, worse yet, a Yankee! On that day, fourteen-year-old Will Tweedy's adventures began and an unimpeachably pious, deliciously irreverent town came to life. Not since To Kill A Mockingbird has a novel so deftly captured the subtle crosscurrents of small-town Southern life. Olive Ann Burns classic bestseller brings to vivid life an era that will never exist again, exploring timeless issues of love, death, coming of age, and the ties that bind families and generations.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:29 -0400)

Modern times come to a conservative Southern town in 1906 when the proprietor of the general store elopes with a woman half his age, and worse yet, a Yankee. The one thing you can depend on in Cold Sassy, Georgia, is that word gets around - fast. When Grandpa E. Rucker Blakeslee announces one July morning in 1906 that he's aiming to marry the young and freckledy milliner, Miss Love Simpson - a bare three weeks after Granny Blakeslee has gone to her reward - the news is served up all over town with that afternoon's dinner. And young Will Tweedy suddenly finds himself eyewitness to a major scandal. Boggled by the sheer audacity of it all, and not a little jealous of his grandpa's new wife, Will nevertheless approves of this May-December match and follows its progress with just a smidgen of youthful prurience. As the newlyweds' chaperone, conspirator, and confidant, Will is privy to his one-armed, renegade grandfather's second adolescence; meanwhile, he does some growing up of his own. He gets run over by a train and lives to tell about it; he kisses his first girl, and survives that too. Olive Ann Burns has given us a timeless, funny, resplendent novel - about a romance that rocks an entire town, about a boy's passage through the momentous but elusive year when childhood melts into adolescence, and about just how people lived and died in a small Southern town at the turn of the century. Inhabited by characters who are wise and loony, unimpeachably pious and deliciously irreverent, Cold Sassy, Georgia, is the perfect setting for the debut of a storyteller of rare brio, exuberance, and style.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,468,971 books! | Top bar: Always visible