My Life: The Musical by Maryrose Wood

My Life: The Musical

by Maryrose Wood

Reviewed by Lauren Ashley for TeensReadToo.com

Emily and Phillip's relationship began because of one play: Aurora. Emily was at the theatre enjoying tickets she had received for her Bat Mitzvah, while Phillip was there alone to escape the family he felt he could no longer turn to.

From then on, the two became inseparable, the best of friends. The thing that continued to tie them together and give them joy in their lives was still the play that brought them together. However, rumors are starting to go around, first from their friend, Ian, and then from others, that the show might be closing.

How could this be? Aurora was something that they saw every Saturday. It was a huge part of their life. How could it be closing? And if it was true, then they wanted to see every single show until the end!

The only thing is: they need the money and a lot more then what they had been borrowing from Emily's grandmother. But Grandma Rose has her own secrets and needs the money for herself, as well. What are two theatre nuts to do?

This was a great story for anyone interested in young adult literature, but most especially for any fan of the theatre! The book started off a bit slow for me, but it soon became quite appealing!

Phillip and Emily's love for the play comes across exceptionally well and made me think about my own favorite play, Rent, coming off of Broadway. One thing I really loved about the book is that each chapter is named after a song from various musicals - and it always somehow ties into the chapter!

If you're looking for a book that combines the theatre, friendship, and the passion of being a fan, then this is the book for you! ( )
  GeniusJen | Jan 13, 2010 |
Emily and Phil are completely, utterly, head-over-heels obsessed with the musical Aurora. Ever since the first time they saw it (at the same preview performance; it was destiny for them to become best friends), they fell in love with the music and characters and quirky costumes. Funded by Emily's grandmother, they sneak into the city every Saturday to get rush tickets for the matinée. But vicious rumors are circling that Aurora might be closing for good... What will Emily and Phil do without their favorite musical? And can they do anything (ANYTHING at ALL) to save it??

This fun, light book has a tinge of serious and a sprinkling of weird, but it's a good choice for theater buffs. One of my favorite things is that each chapter's title is a song from a different musical. I'd hand it to theatrical teens and tweens, although I liked E. Lockhart's Dramarama better. ( )
  abbylibrarian | Aug 22, 2008 |
Up front, let me admit that I am in the target group for this teen novel: fans of the American musical theater. So I really got a kick out of the references to famous Broadway tunes in each chapter heading. 16-year-old Emily Pearl is an obsessive fan of a (fictional) Broadway show called Aurora... so much so that she and her best buddy Philip take the train into New York City every Saturday to buy rush tickets for the matinee. Rumors of the show's closing send them into a tailspin, but all ends well. Humorous and knowing. ( )
  mjsbooks | May 8, 2008 |

To best friends and devoted theater fans Emily and Philip, Aurora is no ordinary Broadway musical. Their love for the hit show (whose reclusive author has never been named) is nothing short of an obsession. Thanks to a secret loan from Emily’s grandma Rose, seeing the Saturday matinee has become a weekly ritual that makes real life seem dull and drab by comparison.
But when the theater chat rooms start buzzing with crazy rumors that Aurora might close, Emily and Philip find themselves grappling with some truly show-stopping questions. What, exactly, is the “one sure thing” in show business? How will they pay back the money they owe Grandma Rose? And why hasn’t Philip asked Emily out on a real date? As they go to hilarious lengths to indulge their passion for Aurora, Emily and Philip must face the fact that all shows close sooner or later. But first they’ll put their friendship to the ultimate test, solve Broadway’s biggest mystery–and spend one unforgettable night at the theater.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:45 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Emily Pearl's obsession with Broadway shows, and one musical in particular, lands her in trouble in school and at home, but it might also allow her and her best friend, Phillip, to find a dramatic solution to the problems.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,412,914 books! | Top bar: Always visible