Beloved Castaway by Kathleen Y'Barbo

Beloved Castaway

by Kathleen Y'Barbo

I am so happy that I was able to read and review this book. I loved it like I expected I would. The twists and turns in this book kept me reading from beginning to end. The love story was not gaudy or over done. It was a love that could only be brought about and shaped by the hands of God. We have Josiah Carter on the run from his father. Why? His father, the Reverend Carter is a hard man and Josiah has taken his young brother and runaway with him. He has no use for God after what he has seen in his father.

Isabelle Gayarre was born into slavery and was sold to Reverend Carter. At the same time her half sister Emilie refuses to let her leave alone so she accompanies her. Escaping with these three women is Violet Dumont who is promised to Andre Gayarre a very cruel and violent man. Once they have escaped they are hunted by Andre. Their ship catches fire before they leave New Orleans, then springs a leak and they manage to make it to Fairweather Key. Here is where things take their biggest twist and the reason I recommend this book be read. I look forward to reading Beloved Captive and Beloved counterfeit the Sequels to this book. This is an author I will most definitely keep my eye on. ( )
  skstiles612 | Feb 6, 2011 |
This was my first time reading a book by Kathleen Y'barbo and I thought it was pretty good! The beginning was a bit confusing at first and it think it just needed a bit more background story although some things are explained at the very end.

Isabelle is a slave and she is trying to run away from a life she has known her whole life. She finds Josiah, a man also running away although he is running away from his father. As Captain of the ship the Jude, he decides to take Isabelle, her sister Emilie, and Viola a young woman running away from her intended a man-intent on hurting her to England. Before they can even embark on their journey to England, the ship catches on fire and the entire ship and its passengers have some decisions to make. As the ship finally sets upon its course, Isabelle tries to fight her growing attraction for Josiah knowing that she is a slave and cannot ever be with him. As the ship starts to sink from damage from the fire, Josiah tried his best to land the boat into the Florida Keys. After landing all passengers must decide what they will do with their lives. Will they stay in the Keys or will they move on? Will Isabelle ever be free to marry Josiah?

I enjoyed reading this story and was a bit surprised by what Isabelle finds out in the end. I also enjoyed seeing such strong Christian faith in Isabelle and the other characters. ( )
  palmtreegirl24 | Jun 12, 2009 |
As the way things turned out, I was able to read [book: Beloved Captive], book #2 of the Fairweather Keys Series before I read this book #1. So, in starting the story I knew somewhat of what to expect with the plot and the outcome. However, that did not deny my experience even the tiniest bit. I still am shocked and amazed and the twists and turns the plot took through out. Especially, at the growth in which the characters were able to grow as individuals and persons in Christ. The story is about three women setting out to change a wrong. Each life is extremely different and the path taken is similar but unique. It is also a story about a man and his father learning about how forgiveness is a two-way street. Kathleen Y'Barbo is definite a treat in the written word and I cannot wait to read more of her imagination, including the third in the Fairweather Keys Series coming out next year. ( )
1 vote cherryblossommj | Dec 29, 2008 |
Determined to reach the abolitionists in England, Isabelle Gayarre makes a deal with a disreputable sea captain for passage aboard his not-quite-seaworthy vessel, the Jude. She’s desperate to find freedom, and willing to give everything she owns to obtain it. Josiah Carter and the Jude are her only hope—aside from her strong faith in a loving heavenly Father. Captain Carter doesn’t quite trust the beautiful woman, but his desperate need of the money she offers him to spirit her away from New Orleans forces his hand. The deal is made, sealing them both into a dangerous and possibly deadly voyage through tumultuous waters. More than one soul seeks redemption. More than one secret crouches within the ship. More than one cruel and heartless man rushes in hot pursuit of the Jude. And more than one heart is held captive by an unexpected and seemingly impossible love. ( )
  judyg54 | Sep 26, 2008 |

Isabelle Gayarre, fleeing a life of servitude, refuses to be owned by anyone, yet soon find her heart in danger of being possessed by the godless Captain Josiah Carter. Can Isabelle trust such a man with her escape from New Orleans? Josiah Carter is running too, from demons of his own. But he's stirred by the presence of the beautiful woman seeking refuge on his ship. Realizing that a runaway slave can never be his, legally or otherwise, a storm begins to brew within him. Will their love ever reach a safe haven or is it doomed to wreck among the jagged reefs of the Florida Fairweather Keys?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,402,429 books! | Top bar: Always visible