Reincarnation by Suzanne Weyn

Reincarnation

by Suzanne Weyn

I've read The Bar Code Tattoo and The Bar Code Rebellion by author Suzanne Weyn a while back and really liked both. So when I saw a copy of her novel Reincarnation while on vacation in Manila, I immediately snatched it up. It was the last copy at Fullybooked Serendra so the cover is a bit bent, I don't mind though.

A beautifully written story about soulmates destined to meet over and over again until they get it right. The story begins in prehistoric times and ends in present day New York. Let me tell you, this book broke my heart into pieces but put it back together again in the end. Thought provoking, creative, tragic and haunting, this love story will stay with you long after you've finished the last page. I loved it! Do get a copy of this as well as Weyn's other books, she's definitely one of my favorite YA writers. ( )
  VavaViolet | Aug 18, 2016 |
A love story spanning many lifetimes. This story explores the romantic side of reincarnation -- of lovers lost and reunited, the feeling of having "known each other before." On account of this angle, the soul mate concept is depicted here solely as a lover, not fully in accordance to what reincarnation entails. So, if you are not overly pedantic over that slight, this makes a good and light read. ( )
  MomsterBookworm | Jul 14, 2014 |
Reincarnation is not your typical romance novel. Instead, it follows the souls of two star-crossed lovers as they find each other in incarnation after incarnation. Down through the ages they travel, their love doomed to fail again and again until, finally, they reach a time and place where they can be together.

Reminiscent of the tragedies of old, yet endowed with a happy ending, this book will have you questioning the values and beliefs you take for granted. ( )
  seldombites | Jan 10, 2014 |
This is a wonderful introduction to the concept of reincarnation, in story form. If you struggled through [b:Cloud Atlas|49628|Cloud Atlas|David Mitchell|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1344305390s/49628.jpg|1871423], try this book for easier tracking of the characters from life to life.

Weyn is a bit short on explanations for the how and why (most are), but she captures the momentum of consecutive incarnations very well, and she makes it enjoyable to read. I plan to add it to my Resources page in my upcoming nonfiction book about reincarnation, especially for those who've not explored the subject much. It's also quick to read, being aimed at a younger audience.

If you do read it, place these characters in the category of younger souls, who therefore do not spend much time in the higher worlds before reincarnating. They demonstrate what I would term the "slow method" of working out karma and achieving personal growth, unlike the character in my novel, *Cosmic Dancer,* who exhibits the fast-moving traits of an older soul who's been through many such lives and spends a considerably longer period of study and preparation in beautiful spiritual worlds before reincarnating.

I missed that element in Weyn's book, but on the other hand, I admire her fortitude and attention to detail in "documenting" how the polarity relationship forms between her two main characters, using a clever visual/tangible link and an understanding of their magnetic, energetic connection, which brings them inevitably back together, along with others who've interacted in their lives. The story moves swiftly, so the pay-offs come sooner. I enjoyed it.

I was surprised to find grammatical errors in a book published by Scholastic, however, since their market has been traditionally school children. But sloppy editing is sadly not uncommon these days. (I always immediately make typos when I complain about others' poor editing, so bear with me if you've found them here. Humility.) ( )
  mrsdowney | Oct 17, 2013 |
2.75

Reseña de Fantasía Mágica

Empecé a leer este libro con mucha expectativa ya que la idea de dos almas que se reencuentran en diferentes vidas me pareció hermosa. No pude evitar sin embargo una cierta incertidumbre acerca de cómo iba a hacer la autora para narrar tantos siglos de historia (como esperaba que hubiese) en tan pocas páginas.
La respuesta llegó sola: a medida que se avanza en el tiempo y en las reencarnaciones, las historias se hacen cada vez más breves y predecibles. Y por breves me refiero a que algunas vidas son narradas en poco menos que una página o dos.

Comienza en la era prehistórica, donde dos jóvenes cavernícolas pertenecientes a diferentes etapas de la evolución humana (ella pertenece a una raza más inteligente que él) se conocen a raiz de una esmeralda que atrae la atención de ambos, lo que despertará las primeras chispas de algo similar al amor.

Como el libro se llama Reenarnación, es obvio que los personajes van a morir inevitablemente, y así ocurre en las diferentes pequeñas historias que suelen terminar de forma trágica y violenta.
Entre las vidas pasan por La Rueda del Renacer, una especie de limbo cálido en que las almas esperan a su nueva reencarnación, donde la autora intentó darle un cierto tinte filosófico (o existencialista?) al libro.

Hay un pequeño triángulo amoroso en muchas de las vidas, ya que son varias las almas que se reencuentran de diferente modo, aunque son sólo dos las protagonistas.
Algo que sí me gustó es que una de esas almas secundarias comienza a evolucionar con el correr de las vidas, y se vuelve lentamente una mejor persona. También hay pequeños detalles sutiles que me parecieron muy buenos, como el que ciertas cosas que causaron dolor o muerte en una vida anterior (como morir quemada por ser acusada de bruja) cause traumas en las vidas siguientes (terror al fuego).

Bastante rápidamente sin embargo comienza a resultar repetitivo, ya que las historias individuales no son demasiado elaboradas y a los personajes siempre se los identifica por exactamente las mismas cuatro o cinco cosas, llegando a un punto en el que es tan predecible que cansa.
Me hubiese gustado más desarrollo en la historia (o en el contexto histórico, que es bastante pobre) y profundidad en los personajes, porque, insisto, la idea del argumento era hermosa.

El último capítulo, donde está el tan esperado desenlace de la historia de amor, me produjo la sensación de que la autora lo hizo apurada porque o bien se quedó sin tiempo, o bien se cansó y se no molestó en lo más mínimo en desarrollar. Quizás la intención fue dar un final feliz abierto, pero para mi no fue suficiente, fue apresurado y tosco.

Igual es un libro entretenido, pero para mi gusto, no supo aprovechar un argumento con mucho potencial y al final se quedó corto. ( )
  outlanders22 | Sep 21, 2013 |
The flickering campfire played across the full belly.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0545013240, Mass Market Paperback)

The ultimate historical romance: one love story unfolds over many centuries and many lives in this captivating page-turner from Suzanne Weyn.

From prehistory to the present, theirs was a love for the ages. It starts with a fight in a cave over an elusive green jewel . . . and then travels over time and lives to include Egyptian slaves, Greek temples, Massachusetts witch trials, Civil War battlefields, Paris on the eve of World War II, America in the 1960s . . . and a pair of modern-day teenagers. For readers who believe that love is stronger than time or death, this is an unforgettable novel from a wonderful storyteller.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:22 -0400)

When a young couple dies in prehistoric times, their love--and link to various green stones--endures through the ages as they are reborn into new bodies and somehow find a way to connect.

Suzanne Weyn is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,457,107 books! | Top bar: Always visible