Erak's Ransom by John Flanagan

Erak's Ransom (2007)

by John Flanagan (Author)

action (8) adventure (37) apprentice (13) archery (7) Australian (5) australian author (5) Book 7 (6) children (5) children's (8) desert (13) ebook (6) fantasy (96) fiction (35) friendship (7) knights (6) medieval (7) Ranger's Apprentice (33) rangers (22) read (7) series (20) sff (4) teen (5) to-read (12) travel (4) war (7) will (5) YA (17) young adult (30) young adult fiction (4) youth (6)

English (19)  Dutch (1)  All languages (20)
John Flanagan's creativity and mastery of storytelling once again shines through in this riveting installment of the "Ranger's Apprentice" series as he sweeps readers along with Will and his friends to distant desert lands fraught with danger. Despite the fact that this book's timeframe is set before books 5 and 6 and reveals what happens in Will's final year as an apprentice, the switch in time isn't difficult to follow. Readers will, in fact, be thankful that Flanagan choose to recount this key adventure in Will's life. I literally devoured this book and found it to be one of my favorites in the series thus far. If you're a fan of this series, "Erak's Ransom" is definitely not an installment you want to miss! ( )
  ThePageturners | Mar 23, 2014 |
In this book made by John Flanagan Will Halt and Gilan the rangers along with Horace the knight and princess Cassandra travel far after realizing their friend erak is being help ransom. While this is all happening Will is stressed out about his ranger apprentice graduation.
This book was not bad, I did not like the fact that it went so far back in time when I was beginning to like the new ranger Will however it is important and is worth reading.
  br14jamo | Oct 31, 2013 |
I thought at first it was kind of weird that this book, the seventh in the Ranger's Apprentice series, takes place before the two that are before it in the series. The execution scene is one of my favorites because it is very tense and there was a lot of action as Will saved his friends. ( )
  SebastianHagelstein | Jul 23, 2013 |
I love this series! Although this is the 7th book in the series, it is only the 3rd one I've been able to complete. I listen to these with my 11 year old son and once he gets hooked he brings the book with him everywhere and finishes it without me. There were parts of this book when I was tempted to listen ahead, so I can understand the temptation.

The series is a medieval adventure focusing on a group of warriors who protect the kingdom of Araluen. Will, the Ranger's Apprentice, is a teenage boy on the brink of completing his apprenticeship as a Ranger. He is part of a small party sent to a desert kingdom to offer ransom for a captured king. But their plans are interrupted when violent sandstorms erupt and a warring nomadic tribe appears. Adventure and story telling at its best! One of the thing I love about this series is that not only does it have a page turning (track forwarding??) plot, but the characters are well drawn. In this book, Will worries about his promotion to a Ranger. Will he live up to everyone's expectations? How can he appear brave and confident when he is uncertain and scared inside? These are perfect books for teens and pre-teens. But, I have to say that I love these books and I am not alone. It is one of the more popular series that suits children and adults. ( )
  jmoncton | Jun 3, 2013 |
This is the seventh book in the ten book Ranger's Apprentice series. Like all of the previous books, this book was a solid middle grade fantasy book. Nothing epic happens but the story is well-put together, features great characters that are very heroic, and has just enough humor to keep things light.

This book goes back in time from the Seige of Macindaw. This is the right before Will was given his Silver Oak Leaf and made a full Ranger. Will is concerned about his upcoming test for full Ranger status. Halt is getting married and is concerned about loosing his apprentice Will. All of the characters' concerns must be set aside when they are given the task of accompanying the Princess to neighboring lands to ransom Erak, the Skandian Oberjarl whom Will and crew befriended.

It was interesting to read some filler about the time in between The Battle for Skandia and The Sorcerer from the North. I was a little irritated that Flanagan couldn't have provided this story in the correct order, but I like things orderly...so don't let that prevent you from reading this book.

Like all of these books the story is pretty straight-forward and an easy read. There is enough humor throughout to keep things light and make you laugh a bit. If you are up to book seven you already know that all of these characters are likable, admirable, yet very human. They all make some mistakes but through a combination of heroic action, luck, and smart-thinking they are able to pull through.

It was interesting to watch these characters in a completely different climate. Watching the Rangers navigate through desert sands and suffer through sandstorms was interesting. In fact Will's almost fatal mistake is caused because of his unfamiliarity with his surroundings.

The plot doesn't go much outside the main goal of rescuing Erak. Will and Halt both learn things about themselves along the way and become better people for it. I did like having Princess Cassandra (Evelyn) along; she has a lot of fire to her character and was a lot of fun to read about.

Overall another great addition to this well-written and very solid fantasy series. These books aren't all that creative and the storyline isn't epic; but they are great adventurous fantasy reads about characters going about their duties in a heroic and admirable way. Definitely great for younger readers, I think even adults who are fantasy fans will be enchanted by the solid writing, the human-like characters, the humor, and the well thought-out world. Recommended for fans of fantasy adventure reads. ( )
  krau0098 | Apr 23, 2012 |

awesome book but i rather the other ones from this one though.

On a mission to pay the ransom of a new ally, apprentice Will and his friends find themselves in a desert wasteland awash with enemies.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,484,921 books! | Top bar: Always visible