What Katy Did Next by Susan Coolidge

What Katy Did Next (1886)

by Susan Coolidge

Series: Katy Did (3)

Penelope's Progress by Kate Douglas Wiggin (nessreader)
    nessreader: Both are about young American girls doing a Grand Tour of continental Europe in the 19th century. Engagingly zestful even though the national stereotypes make a modern reader wince.

Travelling was hard work in those days. Poor little Amy; even before she got sick this kind of adventure wasn't fitting for a small child. At least Katy got to see some of Europe, some of the sights from her books & studies. And she learned more about herself - enough to know what kind of a life she'd want as she grew into a young woman. I'm enjoying these gracefully written books because they're so old and help me learn about what is old history to me, but clear memories to the author. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Third in the classic series about the kind and headstrong Katy, who is now a calmer young woman of twenty. She dreams of travelling to Europe, so is thrilled when a rich neighbour offers to take her there as a companion, and also for extra help with the neighbour's daughter.

The book covers their travels by boat and train, near the end of the 19th century, and thus provides a lovely piece of social history which was contemporary at the time. Katy retains her strong character and sense of justice alongside deep compassion and a great sense of the ridiculous.

Not much plot, and a bit meandering in places with a slightly intrusive author viewpoint; I very much doubt if this would appeal to most of today's teenagers, but I very much enjoyed re-visiting this book which I liked as a child. I do have a paperback edition, but read this on my Kindle after downloading it free. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
Sadly this was really boring compared to the previous books. Nice to see Rose Red again, but otherwise it was an endless list of things in Europe that are pretty and descriptions of an ill child complaining about being ill.

I did like the part where Amy asked Katy to tell her a story, and the story she told was "Once upon a time there were two little girls, and they were horrible smashed to death, the end". ( )
  tronella | May 30, 2013 |
First Time Read and loved it, ( )
  Denaid | Dec 28, 2009 |
While this was an enjoyable story of travel around the European continent early in the twentieth century, it seems more travel anecdote than character-driven story. It was fun to see Rose Red in her years after school, and I enjoyed Katy's adventures around Europe, but I didn't find this book as satisfying as the previous two.

Also, while this books is always listed as the third book in the Katy series, the first page references events in a book called 'Nine Little Goslings'. I haven't been able to find a copy of it to see how it relates to the other Katy books.

I read the ebook available here:
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/8995 ( )
1 vote francescadefreitas | May 25, 2007 |

Susan Coolidgeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Coleman, Ralph PallenIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The September sun was glinting cheerfully into a pretty bedroom furnished with blue.

Katy Carr goes on a tour of Europe, meeting a handsome naval officer in the course of her travels.

Available online at The Hathi Trust:

Also available at The Internet Archive:

Also available at Project Gutenberg:

Describes a tour by Katy in Europe as she evolves from a child into a spirited young woman.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,928,806 books! | Top bar: Always visible