Finding Father Christmas by Robin Jones Gunn

Finding Father Christmas

by Robin Jones Gunn

I read this book in 2 nights. It is a very short and quick read.
If you have any interest in family history or english villages at Christmastime, this is a very nice read. I like the author's Sisterchicks books and knew I would enjoy this.
The story is a heartwarming Christmas story.
A delightful read.
  LauGal | Aug 16, 2016 |
Short and sweet. Terrible ending but otherwise fun. ( )
  carolvanbrocklin | Jan 16, 2014 |
Robin Jones Gunn's Father Christmas Series are wonderfully charming novella's. There are currently two books in the series and they are both cozy and warm stories that are perfect reading for the Christmas season. I hope that the author will continue this series as I look forward to reading more Father Christmas Books.

This is the first book in the Father Christmas series. I would highly recommend starting with this one as they are important to read in order to follow the events of the story. This first book, starts off with Miranda's search for her father which takes her from the US to England during Christmas. She finds herself in a cozy tea shop called The Tea Cosy which is just the kind of place I would imagine visiting in England. She finds new friends and the truth that she has been searching for.

Read more at my blog Redlady's Reading Room.
  redladysbooks | Dec 22, 2008 |
Perfect for : Personal reading, Book Club reading, GREAT Gift Book (Note: the book does include discussion questions at the end)

In a nutshell: I think this is my ALL-TIME favorite holiday book (especially when combined with the sequel!). Going against her quiet nature, Miranda Carson leaves America and travels to England where she hopes to find her birth father by tracking down the studio who produced the only photograph she has of him. This is a heart-warming story of a blossoming faith and a quest to find family. I fell in love with the characters and the homey feeling this story gave me. My favorite characters in the book are Katharine and Andrew MacGregor, and Ellie and Julia Whitcombe. These characters help to spread a warmth throughout the story (along with the other characters of course!), full of new experiences, warmth, acceptance and growth. This was a quick read for me, made more enjoyable by the approaching holidays (yes - I would put up my Christmas tree today if my family would let me!) I highly suggest reading this book, and plan to give a few sets for Christmas gifts this year!

My Review:
I absolutely loved this book and the sequel, Engaging Father Christmas. It was a fast read for me that made me feel warm and peaceful. I highly recommend both books for personal reading, book club reading (there are include discussion questions) and as books that would be great for gifts!

Characters: With a handful of main characters, it was hard not to love each and every one of them, so I'll just talk about a few here, and let you read about the others yourself! ;) Miranda Carson is the main character, who goes on a quest to find her birth father. She has no family left in America, where she was raised by a fanciful actress mom until she was 11, then raised by a kind woman until 15, at which time she ventured out on her own to San Fransisco. (She lost both women, her Mom died in a theater accident, and her "aunt" died of cancer.) Along her journey, she meets Katharine and Andrew MacGregor, who invite her to join them for the annual Christmas play, then the after-party. Andrew has a wonderful Scottish accent, and a wonderfully warm and outgoing personality. She also meets Ellie and Edward Whitcombe and their two children Mark and Julia. Ellie is dressed in a wonderfully elegant dress, reminiscent of the Sugar Plum Fairy.

Story-Line: The characters in the story help Miranda (and the reader) to feel welcome through the holiday season, opening their homes to a perfect-stranger. Katharine plays a very important part throughout the book, and I just loved her. The story carries the reader through Miranda's spiritual (yet bumpy) journey, and her literal journey to find what she hopes will be her father's family.

Readability: This was a very enjoyable, easy read. The author has done a wonderful job of helping the reader to experience the settings of the book, making it easy to lose track of time. I believe it only took me a few hours to read (along with a few distractions from my family).

Overall: This was a beautifully written book, that will surely be a cherished favorite among holiday stories. It is a nice easy read that could easily be shared with the rest of the family (no questionable scenes or language). readers will fall in love with the characters and ambiance throughout the book, and will look forward to reading the sequel. I especially enjoyed the dark green printing in the book instead of the normal black lettering - it helped to complete the holiday feel! ( )
  wbarker | Oct 30, 2008 |

Bestselling author Robin Jones Gunn brings readers a poignant Christmas novella about a woman, desperate for a place to belong, who finds herself in London a few days before Christmas, looking for the father she never knew.

In FINDING FATHER CHRISTMAS, Miranda Carson's search for her father takes a turn she never expected when she finds herself in London with only a few feeble clues to who he might be. Unexpectedly welcomed into a family that doesn't recognize her, and whom she's quickly coming to love, she faces a terrible decision. Should she reveal her true identity and destroy their idyllic image of her father? Or should she carry the truth home with her to San Francisco and remain alone in this world? Whatever choice she makes during this London Christmas will forever change the future for both herself and the family she can't bear to leave. Robin Jones Gunn brilliantly combines lyrical writing and unforgettable characters to craft a story of longing and belonging that will stay with readers long after they close the pages of this book.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:46 -0400)

"A poignant Christmas novella about a woman, desperate for a place to belong, who finds herself in London a few days before Christmas, looking for the father she never knew"--Provided by the publisher

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,317,931 books! | Top bar: Always visible