Butcher Bird by Richard Kadrey

Butcher Bird

by Richard Kadrey

Series: The Dominion (1)

Recently added byprivate library, GanneC, hopeevey, UDT, bgknighton, hobbyns_76, lydiasbooks, kintonk, leveragehunters
    London Falling by Paul Cornell (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Both books are gritty urban fantasies in which the main character(s) find themselves suddenly able to see the "true" world underneath the normal one. Both have horror aspects and are compelling reads.
    Trickster by Jeff Somers (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: A similar gritty style and creative magic in an urban setting. Both are good writers
    Rupert Wong, Cannibal Chef by Cassandra Khaw (amanda4242)
    Dead Things by Stephen Blackmoore (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Both are gritty, noir urban fantasy-supernatural mysteries of a similar style.
    Blood Engines by T. A. Pratt (LongDogMom)
    Child of Fire by Harry Connolly (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Creepy and strange reality takes over for the main character.
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman (AppleSky)
    AppleSky: Contemporary fantasy. Similar gritty feel, similar subject matter.

I downloaded this from the publisher's website, and was very glad I did. It's gripping, intelligent, gritty, cynical, but manages to be very real and touching at the same time.

It's hard to say much about it giving away things better found in the course of the text. Iill say I think I'll have to track down the rest of his books - I've been very impressed with what I've read so far. ( )
  hopeevey | May 19, 2018 |
This is similar in flavor to Clive Barker's Imagica.

Kitty.Cunningham | Jul 19, 2017 |
Not as good a book as the others of his I've just read, especially since it seems very reminiscent (not necessarily consciously) by Neil Gaiman's classic Neverwhere. ( )
  NatalieSW | Aug 8, 2016 |
definitely not my type of book - much to dark and abstractly drawn (either the author is trying to confuse the issue by not describing head on, or maybe nothing really means what it at first seems to mean). ( )
  jason9292 | Apr 17, 2016 |
I felt like I am part of the target audience for this book. On the other hand, I felt like the book did a bit too much poking about that: “Hey! This is a book just for people like you! Who like tattoos! And bars! And are into mythology and fantasy! You’re badass and cool! Check it out!” Yeah, ok. Unfortunately, I sort of felt like the ‘cool’ stuff was a veneer laid over a fairly typical and not-that-riveting quest fantasy. Who the characters were didn’t really affect or inform what happened to them.

Spyder, a tattoo artist, is hanging out in a San Francisco rock & roll bar with his lesbian buddy Lulu when he gets attacked by a demon. He’s rescued by a blind ninja swordswoman, (Shrike, the ‘Butcher Bird’ of the title) but after the attack realizes that he can now see the supernatural reality that most humans are unaware of. The streets of SanFran are filled with grotesque and bizarre beings; and even if this sight could be viewed as a gift, it feels more like going crazy.

For reasons that seem somewhat contrived, Spyder, Lulu and Shrike have to band together for a quest through Hell to retrieve a McGuffin, in return for which a probably-evil witch has promised to help them. Along the way, there are some vivid and memorable scenes - I’d say the visuals are the best part of this book. (Some had a very Gaiman-esque feel). However, the plot itself just didn’t have the tension I felt it ought to have had.

I did enjoy the book – I just didn’t feel like it lived up to its full potential. I believe this was the author’s first novel; I’d definitely be willing to try another by him.
1 vote AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |

Richard Kadreyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dos Santos, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"For N, with love"
"They say when your head gets chopped off, it can still see and hear for a few seconds, so I'll have to go with beheading," said Spyder Lee to Lulu Garou.

Spyder Lee is a happy man who lives in San Francisco and owns a tattoo shop. One night an angry demon tries to bite his head off before he's saved by a stranger. The demon infected Spyder with something awful - the truth. He can suddenly see the world as it really is: full of angels and demons and monsters and monster-hunters. A world full of black magic and mysteries. These are the Dominions, parallel worlds full of wonder, beauty, and horror.

The Black Clerks, infinitely old and infinitely powerful beings whose job it is to keep the Dominions in balance, seem to have new interests and a whole new agenda. Dropped into the middle of a conflict between the Black Clerks and other forces he doesn't fully understand, Spyder finds himself looking for a magic book with the blind swordswoman who saved him. Their journey will take them from deserts to lush palaces, to underground caverns, to the heart of Hell itself.

Spyder Lee owns a tattoo shop in San Francisco, has a favorite drinking buddy, Lulu Garou, and other friends all over town. One night a pissed-off demon tries to bite his head off and he's saved by a small blind woman with a sword. After that, Spyder's life is turned upside down. The demon infected Spyder and he can suddenly see the world as it really is: full of angels and demons and monsters and monster-hunters; a world full of black magic and mysteries. These are the Dominions, parallel worlds full of wonder, beatuy and horror. The Dominions never touch, or at least they're not supposed to. The Black Clerks, powerful beings whos job it is to keep the Dominions in balance, seem to have a new agenda. Sypder finds himself dropped into the middle of a conflict he doesn't fully understand. With the blind swordswoman who saved him, Spyder searches for a magic book.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,746,661 books! | Top bar: Always visible