Things I Learned From Knitting (Whether I…

Things I Learned From Knitting (Whether I Wanted To or Not) (2008)

by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

Little essays about the lessons of knitting applied to life. Some are funnier than others, but overall this is a cozy little book that knitters will enjoy. ( )
  Pferdina | Dec 4, 2016 |
Another fluffy book, that I read in about an hour & a half. Another book you'd only enjoy if you were a knitter! ( )
  anastaciaknits | Oct 29, 2016 |
Review first published on my blog: http://memoriesfrombooks.blogspot.com/2012/08/things-i-learned-from-knitting.htm...

Things I Learned From Knitting is another collection of essays by blogger Stephanie Pearl-McPhee. As a knitter, I found myself laughing and nodding my head in agreement over a lot of the material. Anyone passionate about a craft will recognize that we all start to see our philosophy of life reflected in elements of our craft. Our crafts teach us, keep us busy, and enable us to show ourselves to the world. And they teach us along the way.

This book is a pocket size volume - perhaps to easily fit into a knitting bag? The lessons in this book are about patience, love, generosity, perfection, and about getting to know our own selves better. The tone is a humorous one as life lessons are put into a knitting context. Lessons like "Don't worry. Be happy" and "Practice makes perfect" and "Everything is relative."

This is the third or fourth book I have read by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee. While each one is individually interesting, by the second or third, they start to sound the same. The material and the tone seem the same from book to book. So, I think if this was the first one I had read, I would have really enjoyed it. I still thought it was okay, but nothing new. I enjoy reading her blog and love her amazing yarn creations though! ( )
1 vote njmom3 | Aug 24, 2012 |
Quick EZ read with humerous insight on how knitting influnences your life and life's lessons. ( )
  DianaSexton | Aug 13, 2010 |
Pearl-McPhee has an ability to describe the foibles of knitters and challenges of knitting in a way that is laugh out loud funny. Or at least giggly funny. Recommended for knitters and people who have to cope with knitters. ( )
  Meggo | Mar 29, 2009 |
This book is for my mum, the clever and formidable (but non-knitting) Bonnie McPhee. I love her.
Despite the way it makes non-knitters look at me like I'm a few sheep short of a flock - I have often remarked that I think knitting is an excellent metaphor for much of life.

The Yarn Harlot strikes again! Best-selling knitting author and humorist Stephanie Pearl-McPhee is back with an irresistible collection of witty observations on how knitting and life wisdom are spun together. In Things I Learned From Knitting (Whether I Wanted To or Not), Pearl Mc-Phee examines age-old aphorisms in light of knitting. From "Hope Springs Eternal" to "A Friend In Need Is A Friend Indeed" and "Birds Of A Feather Flock Together," Pearl-McPhee casts a fresh, off-beat light on these sayings. Presented in quick, punchy takes, each entry in this book calls out to be read aloud and shared with anyone who enjoys playing with yarn and needles. Pearl-McPhee's observations are hilarious; the situations she describes strike a familiar, "not you, too?" feeling in the heart of anyone who knits. Interspersed throughout the book are her notes on the things that "Knitting is still trying to teach me. . ." That no matter how well you knit, looking at your work too closely isn't helpful. It's like kissing with your eyes open. Nobody looks good that close up.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,900,645 books! | Top bar: Always visible